AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just picked up a Pioneer 5020FD. Need some trimmings with this beast. Help me pick Blu-Ray (

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
If it were my money it would be a no brainer:

Yamaha RX-V563 ($30 over the Onkyo 606)

Energy 5.1 Speakers

Panasonic BD35

·
Registered
775 Posts
Energy speakers for sure, but since you have a bluray player, you should get the Onkyo 606 which decodes the HD audio from bluray movies. I'm not sure if those Pioneers you listed do that, but the Onkyo will be the cheapest. The Yamaha that does DD True HD is the 663 and is more than the Onkyo 606. Spend the extra 66 bucks and get the Onkyo.

·
Registered
290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio /forum/post/15595104

Energy speakers for sure, but since you have a bluray player, you should get the Onkyo 606 which decodes the HD audio from bluray movies. I'm not sure if those Pioneers you listed do that, but the Onkyo will be the cheapest. The Yamaha that does DD True HD is the 663 and is more than the Onkyo 606. Spend the extra 66 bucks and get the Onkyo.

his blu-ray player can do the decoding. he has the bd-35

·
Registered
775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by percept /forum/post/15597291

Ah...you're right. Sorry. I'm so used to having to do everything old school with analog inputs.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by percept /forum/post/15597291

No he needs a receiver that will do the decoding.....if he purchased the BD55, that one will do the HD formats via the 7.1 analog outs. The BD35 does not have that feature.

·
Registered
775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 /forum/post/15610413

No he needs a receiver that will do the decoding.....if he purchased the BD55, that one will do the HD formats via the 7.1 analog outs. The BD35 does not have that feature.

No he just needs a receiver that can accept audio via HDMI. The Player will do all the decoding and send the separate channel data through HDMI. Only those without HDMI inputs period like me need the analog outputs.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio /forum/post/15612366

No he just needs a receiver that can accept audio via HDMI. The Player will do all the decoding and send the separate channel data through HDMI. Only those without HDMI inputs period like me need the analog outputs.
Yes sorry......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts