AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Personally, I don't see any point in buying anthing like this until a standard has been decided. I guess you could always use this as a sort of personal archive system, however, if HD wins the format wars, it could be difficult to buy Blu-ray discs.

Also, with both HD and Blu-Ray copy protection cracked, it will be interesting to see how these files play back on a Mac. And since all the copy protection has been stripped from these files, they can also be played without HDCP.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further /forum/post/0

Also, with both HD and Blu-Ray copy protection cracked, it will be interesting to see how these files play back on a Mac. And since all the copy protection has been stripped from these files, they can also be played without HDCP.

It didn't take very long, did it? I hope this results in the towering geniuses at the studios being much more willing to allow Apple to sell HD movies though iTunes. Or maybe not. Maybe the content of every single HD disc will have to be on P2P networks for a couple of years before they get with the program.

Meanwhile, I'm certainly sitting out the format war at least until Criterion jumps in.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov /forum/post/0

Meanwhile, I'm certainly sitting out the format war at least until Criterion jumps in.

Exactly! I does seem that currently the drives are for burning--at least with a mac. Toast 8 has Blu-ray support, and even LaCie had a Blu-ray drive at MacWorld.

I was somewhat tempted to get the new Sony drive, but, at $700 it's still a ways out, and not sure of blank prices. But, would be nice for eyeTV backups.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/0

How is it going to play back movies w/o HDCP support?

Looks like it's just a burner.

You only need HDCP if the movie has the ICT "Image constraint token" set, there are no HD DVD or Blu-ray movies that set this set. Unofficially the studios have said they won't enable it till 2010 (by then we will all have new computers).

Even if the ICT is set and you don't have HDCP you can still watch HD DVD and Blu-ray, but at 540p instead of 1080p while this is certainly noticeable on a 70" screen it will be very hard to notice on anything smaller than 20".

This will not play Blu-ray movies because it doesn't include a software movie player. Just like DVD's you can burn DVD on a computer, but to play them back you need DVD movie playback software. With any luck OSX 10.5 DVD player software will support both HD DVD and Blu-ray.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.