AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IT guys showed this to me after I told him how BluRay s beating DVD in the same time frame.

Note-HDA3 owner waiting for PS3...maybe Xmas time.

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20...killed-hd-dvd/

May 1, 2008 | Blu-ray sales have dropped massively since Sony killed HD DVD

By Dave Parrack

When Sony’s Blu-ray format killed off Toshiba’s HD DVD format in the the high definition DVD war in February, it was expected that Blu-ray players would see a massive sales increase, as consumers realised the format was a safe long-term bet. However, sales figures show that since the beginning of the year, sales of Blu-ray players have actually dropped quite substantially.


As soon as HD DVD was declared a dead format, Sony went full steam ahead with it’s plans to dominate the future of high definition storage, and predicted a 50% market share with DVD by the end of 2008. However, the NPD Group’s sales figures show that they are a long way off achieving that goal any time soon.


NPD haven’t released actual numbers, presumably for fear hat due to the low numbers of units sold, individual retailers would be identifiable. However, according to the New York Times, it has stated that sales of standalone Blu-ray players fell a massive 40% from January to February. They then rose a paltry 2% from February to March.


HD DVD players obviously did even worse in the same time frame, with sales dropping 13% from January to February, and 65% from February to March, but that was fully expected as only an idiot would buy a player which only plays a dead format.


So why has Blu-ray failed to sell in the expected quantities once it’s only rival, excluding the doomed HD VMD of course, HD DVD was consigned to an early grave?


The main reason is likely to be that the mainstream consumer is still not ready to move on from DVD, and is happy with the picture quality and storage capabilities of the last gen format. I predicted back in February that Blu-ray would have a hard job killing off DVD, and by the time it does, digital downloads will probably be the medium of choice anyway.


It could be that Blu-ray ends up being merely a stopgap for early adopters, and that it never really takes off in the way Sony are hoping it does.


The big test will come this Christmas when prices will drop, and we will be able to see if everyday consumers are choosing to upgrade or not. Personally, I’m happy with my collection of DVDs, and won’t be upgrading until prices drop below the $100 mark, which could be a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,953 Posts
Almost off topic but anyone who wants to see and hear the best quality presentation in their home it's BD. Personally, considering the cost of the other HT items needed to get the full benefit from HD and uncompressed audio, I just don't get how a few hundred dollars makes you wait two years already and still not buy in. I don't see how an enthusiast could stand it.


Art
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Hi Def Media download services is gonna takeoff.

And over 100 million dvd players are not gonna vanish so fast, guess there here to stay, cause only hi def hardcore fans do adapt new format, all else are happy with what they already got i guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/14170980


That is an old article from several months ago when there was a shortage of standalone Blu-Ray players.

Oh come on. Don't let the facts get in the way of the obligatory anti Blu bashing that has to take place at every hour on the hour by some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/14170937


Almost off topic but anyone who wants to see and hear the best quality presentation in their home it's BD. Personally, considering the cost of the other HT items needed to get the full benefit from HD and uncompressed audio, I just don't get how a few hundred dollars makes you wait two years already and still not buy in. I don't see how an enthusiast could stand it.


Art

Actually, most people that I know that have a hometheater in some way, have already purchased the PS3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,267 Posts
I knew Blu-ray was having problems once we started to see all these press releases saying how great it was doing but not stating any actual numbers and instead comparing ridiculous things (# of players and PS3s vs. DVD stand-alones only, etc.).


When we do hear about total sales of all Blu-ray discs, they are in the range of what one decent DVD sells in a couple weeks.



Blu-rays big problem is that most enthusiasts have already bought in. As for everyone one else, less than ½ even have an HDTV, and of those less than half are 1080p (which is what you guys and Sony promote as what you need to take full advantage of Blu - only 1080p is FULL HD). Now add to that that 90+% of people do not have an AVR that supports lossless or advanced codecs, and you are left with a small handful of people.


The average guy with and SD TV or a 720p HDTV and a HtiB that at best supports DD is gonna chose one of those upscaling DVD players (that Sony says is also FULL1080p HD) for under a hundred bucks, and is compatible with every disc he already ownsespecially in this economy. Add to that the fact that at every B&M store he sees hundreds of DVDs for under $9 and only a few BDs for under $20.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
This time is different, because you don't have to replace the player only (VHS to DVD).

You need to change the TV also. And many people won't change them 'till they are broken or sooo cheap.


The movies and their costs are less important, because when I started to purchase DVDs I didn't replaced my VHSes (very a few titles, BTW). I took only the latest films.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,692 Posts
Since when do sales not fall between January and February? In January, you had people redeeming their Xmas gift cards and buying what they really wanted for Xmas. I'd like to see a comparison of:

1) Jan-Feb 2008 BD sales vs. other AV products;

2) Jan-Feb 2008 BD sales vs. Jan-Feb 2007 BD sales.


Cherry-picking data is a favorite tactic when trying to make your point.


Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Every time I make a trip to the gas staion the extra $ that would have been spent on a BD title goes right into the tank. Middle class America simply doesn't have the disposable income we did even a year ago. Until wages increase or prices for food and fuel decrease the HT and especially the BD market is going to take a serious hit. It's just common sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte /forum/post/14171199


Since when do sales not fall between January and February? In January, you had people redeeming their Xmas gift cards and buying what they really wanted for Xmas.

Yes, its easier to make any prediction after the christmas numbers are in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik9899 /forum/post/14171210


Every time I make a trip to the gas staion the extra $ that would have been spent on a BD title goes right into the tank. Middle class America simply doesn't have the disposable income we did even a year ago. Until wages increase or prices for food and fuel decrease the HT and especially the BD market is going to take a serious hit. It's just common sense.


Very true. I just bought a condo, but have been wanting a Blu Ray player since last year. I am a enthusiast, but I also have priorities. I can wait till they come down in price a bit. I picked HD DVD when I had disposable income.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte /forum/post/14171199


Since when do sales not fall between January and February?

How many other AV products had their only competing format killed off?

What happened to all those people who were waiting for the format war to end? What happened to all those people who got gift cards for xmas?


Oh, they all went out and bought Sony 1080p DVD players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,948 Posts
Also one other factor, even if they can sell alot of players, that doesnt automaticly make someone buy the HDM version over the DVD version when it sometimes is 8X difference in price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Def DVD /forum/post/14170942


Hi Def Media download services is gonna takeoff.

And over 100 million dvd players are not gonna vanish so fast, guess there here to stay, cause only hi def hardcore fans do adapt new format, all else are happy with what they already got i guess.

I continue to think that these formats are most likely to coexist and be complementary to each other. I would be very surprised if, 5 years from now, we didn't have a combination of DVD, BluRay and downloads regularly available.


I agree that downloads will come, but predictions of its ubiquity are ALWAYS overly optimitic. I think the appeal of being able to physically own a disc is underestimated. I have made the observation before, but my ancestors were 'hunter-gatherers' not 'hunter-downloaders'!!


BluRay is unlikely to overtake DVD anytime soon, nor is it about to die. Lot's of spin and over-reaction to bits of data, IMO.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
18,835 Posts
Old news and a sales-figures thread. Closed.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top