AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
****Moderator's note: Instead of having a couple hundred sales figures threads, I'm combining them all into one. Please keep recent sales figures talk to this one thread. *****

I do not know if anyone has seen thedvdwars.com today, but there is no doubt that Blu-ray is closing the gap in sales quickly.

I do not take the statistics on thedvdwars.com too seriously as it appears a larger percentage of HD-DVD owners buy the majority of their software from Amazon.com as compared to Blu-ray owners, but the gap is definately closing quickly.

Once again, Blu-ray discs are cheaper then those of HD-DVD and also more titles can currently be ordered on Blu-ray as well. Both of these trends I feel will continue indefinately.

My predition is that by the end of March of 2007, Blu-ray will dominate HD-DVD in sales and this will also be represented on thedvdwars.com.

~Josh

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I posted basically the following in the general discussion thread:

For numbers in more realtime:

http://www.hdgamedb.com/amazon/versus.aspx

where the current numbers are close to 1100 vs 900 with HD DVD in the lead (but with the about smallest gap I've seen since at least June and maybe the smallest gap ever).

Both sites seem to have small issues though. The eproductwars site didn't include "The Descent" from Blu-ray the other day when it was in the top 10 and the hdgamedb site doesn't seem to include "Superman Returns" for HD DVD.

Even besides mistakes on those sites, items selling out on Amazon are likely to cause some issues with the numbers. For instance, "Superman Returns" was sold out on Blu-ray, then I noticed it climbing in the rankings earlier today, saw that it was in stock, and now it is out of stock again. Both sides have some items in their top 10 that are now sold out (although I think Blu-ray has had a higher percentage of their top 10 be sold out). The Blu-ray side is being helped by a title that is scheduled for February 20th ("The Prestige") and we'll have to see if the HD DVD camp announces some titles at CES that get put up for preorder and help their rankings.

--Darin

·
Registered
874 Posts
I must say I certainly respect the AVS moderators here, but if you guys found some offending posts very late in my original thread why didnt you just delete them or ban that specific user?

Instead the thread was closed. It had over 300 replies and 10,000 views and now its gone

Anyway THE SURGE CONTINUES
I know many of you have seen this and it has been posted before but blu-ray is surpassing HD-DVD just like yoyoniner, petra, myself, and others in the blu-ray forum accurately predicted.

Average Sales Rank

Number in top 1000

It is not too late for HD-DVD owners to add a blu-ray player.

·
Registered
880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle /forum/post/0

Anyway I know many of you have seen this and it has been posted before but blu-ray is surpassing HD-DVD just like yoyoniner, myself, and others in the blu-ray forum accurately predicted.

Wait before it passes before taking credit, obviously it will but Just a thought.

·
Banned
383 Posts
2007 will be the last year for HD-DVD....so sad for a format to exist in such short period of time......nice knowing ya HD-DVD

·
Registered
107 Posts
So much for the PS3 and S1 naysayers...

And once this one ends, the next one begins with WB catching up, Pirates 1&2 and the Spideys!

Not to mention, Universal dosent have that much ammo left in its arsenal, or was that the idea to begin with? Sell the titles twice! The only loser is Toshiba.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle /forum/post/0

I must say I certainly respect the AVS moderators here, but if you guys found some offending posts very late in my original thread why didnt you just delete them or ban that specific user?

Instead the thread was closed. It had over 300 replies and 10,000 views and now its gone

Anyway THE SURGE CONTINUES
I know many of you have seen this and it has been posted before but blu-ray is surpassing HD-DVD just like yoyoniner, petra, myself, and others in the blu-ray forum accurately predicted.

Average Sales Rank

Number in top 1000

It is not too late for HD-DVD owners to add a blu-ray player.

You do realize that all this graph is is an average of the top 10 titles of each format.....really shows nothing at all. I don't think you fully understand what the graph is showing based on some of your ignorant remarks to be quite honest.

Here is a graph of the top 100 which is a little better but still not indicative of actual sales numbesr. Just click on "top 100" which will give you a better overall picture of the race. Yes its closer, but HD DVD still has a strong edge with 63 of the top 100 titles. These graphs don't really show much at all, but at least they're more informative than the extremely limited graphs you're using (also this is updated every 30 min):

http://www.hdgamedb.com/amazon/rank.aspx

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra /forum/post/0

2007 will be the last year for HD-DVD....so sad for a format to exist in such short period of time......nice knowing ya HD-DVD

Please dont do that. Completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
880 Posts

Quote:

with BDA aggresive marketing in B&M retails, I imagine BB, CC, Walmart numbers are all in favor of blu-ray

What about Target Sears Kmart FYE EBGames/Gamestop Buy.com ?

I am not saying all of these are in favor of/ sell more HD DVDs just that these charts are inaccurate on the large scale by not including all retail outlets etc.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

Quote:

with BDA aggresive marketing in B&M retails, I imagine BB, CC, Walmart numbers are all in favor of blu-ray

Key word being "imagine".

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nharmon91 /forum/post/0

What about Target Sears Kmart FYE EBGames/Gamestop Buy.com ?

I tried to start a thread discussing the buy.com trends, but the mods didn't feel that a listing of titles by "bestselling" was indicative of a methodology.

But the reality was that although there is fluctuation, perhaps because their list is more real-time and doesn't average over time, blu-ray was having a strong showing in a top-10 vs. top-10 comparison.

The point is that it would be interesting to look at some bestselling rankings across online merchants.

Or maybe one would want to track head-to-head rankings for same-day releases on both formats?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Of course these numbers don't mean a lot and we should be looking for better data.

This is, however, some of the only data that we have available to us so we have little choice to pay it some attention.

Many sources of information are telling us that Blu-ray is gaining.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
once the HD-DVD release titles are announced for Jan & Feb during CES.... things will go back to being norm.... and once again, all the BD folks will discredit the amazon sales figures again and also tell everyone that BD owners don't shop at amazon.com.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac /forum/post/0

once the HD-DVD release titles are announced for Jan & Feb during CES.... things will go back to being norm.... and once again, all the BD folks will discredit the amazon sales figures again and also tell everyone that BD owners don't shop at amazon.com.

If i'm not mistaken, there are a great deal more BD titles being announced in january. With warner evening its offerings and the expected announcements from sony, disney and fox, I doubt the trend is going to be reversed. Esp since Universal dosent have that many more recent blockbusters.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.