AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus67 /forum/post/0


am i reading it wrong?


BD sales rank: 792.9

HD DVD sales rank: 812.2


isn't hd dvd still ahead?

I think that the numbers might be confusing. If Blu Ray was ranked #1 and HD DVD was ranked #2, would that clear it up? I think the lower the rank, the better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
If there were some new releases to be ordered I would have agreed the numbers had some real significance. However, since there really isn't anything "new" in HD DVD to be bought (as compared to BR's numerous listings) this should be kept in perspective. If these numbers still hold true when (if ever) there is an equal number of "new" HD DVD listings (as was the case a few short weeks ago) then I would agree that there is some merit in the interpretation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
The bottom line is that sales on the two formats are similar at this point. There are enough variables at play here (nuances of release schedules, how representative is Amazon of sales as a whole, etc) to make these numbers an imperfect metric. Certainly there are other metrics one could use such as DVDempire.com sales that give a slightly different impression.


Personally, I would speculate that the Amazon numbers are slightly biased towards HD-DVD because HD-DVD early adopters seem to be more cost/value conscious as a group, and the blu-ray buyers might be slightly more inclined to purchase in the brick and mortar stores instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
i find it funny that when hd dvd was winning the format war pages it didnt matter ...now that BD is winning its all of the sudden relevant and important

am i the only one who notices?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assayer /forum/post/0


The bottom line is that sales on the two formats are similar at this point. There are enough variables at play here (nuances of release schedules, how representative is Amazon of sales as a whole, etc) to make these numbers an imperfect metric. Certainly there are other metrics one could use such as DVDempire.com sales that give a slightly different impression.


Personally, I would speculate that the Amazon numbers are slightly biased towards HD-DVD because HD-DVD early adopters seem to be more cost/value conscious as a group, and the blu-ray buyers might be slightly more inclined to purchase in the brick and mortar stores instead.

Do we have Videobusiness numbers then from bricks and morter to compare?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
This is just silly. When is everyone going to realize that Amazon is not the only retailer selling HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray discs? There are no sales figures tied to these whatsoever.


Plus, how is either format "selling" discs that aren't even out yet? Those are some impressive "sales"! I guess I could go spike that graph by ordering a million copies of Black Rain on either format (oh - the sales ranking for the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray on that one title this minute is 4,124 vs. 8,562! HD-DVD is winning on "Black Rain"! Which means... absolutely nothing.) then cancelling them before it ships.


Heck, I wonder if I can get it up to a #1 sales ranking.... at least, for a day. Because, even if I order 1,000,000 copies of Black Rain today, thereby momentarily making it the #1 selling HD disc so far (before I cancel the order), after 24 hours, it will drop back to where it was before.... despite having "sold" 1,000,000 copies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixtapem /forum/post/0


i find it funny that when hd dvd was winning the format war pages it didnt matter ...now that BD is winning its all of the sudden relevant and important

am i the only one who notices?

You're noticing something that wasn't there that's why you're the only one! I don't think anyone said dvdwars.com didn't matter, it was just that their data was (and STILL is) flawed. hdgamedb.com is far more accurate and up to date.


Another thing that's changed is Amazon's pricing, they now seem to be one of the cheapest online retailers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj /forum/post/0


You're noticing something that wasn't there that's why you're the only one! I don't think anyone said dvdwars.com didn't matter, it was just that their data was (and STILL is) flawed. hdgamedb.com is far more accurate and up to date.


Another thing that's changed is Amazon's pricing, they now seem to be one of the cheapest online retailers

Maybe I should have chosen my words a little more carefully, many BD supporters discredited the numbers on dvdwars and etc. but I have seen numerous posts with links to dvdwars eproductswars and others like they are now legit numbers. run back a couple pages you will see many posts if you have not already


not that I care cuz I am format nuetral i just find it interesting that these "e numbers" werent creditable last month but they are now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assayer /forum/post/0


Personally, I would speculate that the Amazon numbers are slightly biased towards HD-DVD because HD-DVD early adopters seem to be more cost/value conscious as a group, and the blu-ray buyers might be slightly more inclined to purchase in the brick and mortar stores instead.

Just curious - how did you arrive at your hypothesis that Blu-Ray buyers are not cost/value conscious "as a group"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
Well, on Jan. 14, 2007, Blu-ray has indeed taken over the lead on Amazon. There has been no question that Blu-ray has caught up to HD DVD sales and this is just further proof of it. In fact, most likely, Blu-ray now leads HD DVD in sales. But considering that HD DVD sales bettered Blu-ray in 2006 by a huge margin, let's see what it looks like in Jan. 2008. The format war has and continues to be a series of chess moves by both sides and a lot of moves will be played out this year that will have a big effect on the 2007 end-of-year sales results that no one will be able to see this early, just like no one foiresaw the moves that played out in 2006 that allowed HD DVD to have the advantage it had then. We tend to get caught up in the day-to-day events here, but in then end, it's the year-end results that matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixtapem /forum/post/0


not that I care cuz I am format nuetral i just find it interesting that these "e numbers" werent creditable last month but they are now?

They're still not credible however they're probably equally incredible as they were to start with so the trend is valid, you just have to remember a margin of error on the actual numbers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixtapem /forum/post/0


not that I care cuz I am format nuetral i just find it interesting that these "e numbers" werent creditable last month but they are now?

They weren''t credible when they supported HD DVD. Recall that many HD DVD proponents regularly quoted Amazon as the authority to prove HD DVD was besting Blu Ray.


Well, now the tables have turned and, I guess, what's good for the goose is good for the Gander......



Alls fair in the Blu ray forum when it benefits Blu Ray.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top