AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until today, we have only had a standard DVD player, albeit a reasonably good one (Denon DVD-1740). My wife and I have always been very satisfied with the outstanding quality video displayed by the Denon and our Sony 52" W series TV (via an HDMI connection). We just have not had any incentive to buy a Blu-Ray machine because the picture we now have is so good that we cannot justify buying a relatively expensive Blu-Ray player.

Well my Birthday is this weekend and I was surprised today when I received a Sony BDP-S570 and a three disc set of Avatar on Blu-Ray as a gift. Obviously, we watched Avatar tonight in high definition. Although the quality was excellent, it really was not consequentially ($150) better than the standard DVD version. We were so underwhelmed by what we saw, compared to the standard DVD video quality we are used to, we also watched a few scenes from the standard DVD (on the new Sony S570) and proved what we perceived was not our imagination.

The point here is, in our opinion, if you have a high quality TV and a high quality DVD player, unless you are the lucky recipient of a gift, or have a lot of surplus cash that does not matter, don't bother buying a high definition DVD device until the prices drop a lot more. Sure there were machines available on this Black Friday morning at $60.00 but every one I looked at, before I knew I getting the S570 as a gift, just did not have worthwhile features or complimentary reviews.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS
Until today, we have only had a standard DVD player, albeit a reasonably good one (Denon DVD-1740). My wife and I have always been very satisfied with the outstanding quality video displayed by the Denon and our Sony 52" W series TV (via an HDMI connection). We just have not had any incentive to buy a Blu-Ray machine because the picture we now have is so good that we cannot justify buying a relatively expensive Blu-Ray player.

Well my Birthday is this weekend and I was surprised today when I received a Sony BDP-S570 and a three disc set of Avatar on Blu-Ray as a gift. Obviously, we watched Avatar tonight in high definition. Although the quality was excellent, it really was not consequentially ($150) better than the standard DVD version. We were so underwhelmed by what we saw, compared to the standard DVD video quality we are used to, we also watched a few scenes from the standard DVD (on the new Sony S570) and proved what we perceived was not our imagination.

The point here is, in our opinion, if you have a high quality TV and a high quality DVD player, unless you are the lucky recipient of a gift, or have a lot of surplus cash that does not matter, don't bother buying a high definition DVD device until the prices drop a lot more. Sure there were machines available on this Black Friday morning at $60.00 but every one I looked at, before I knew I getting the S570 as a gift, just did not have worthwhile features or complimentary reviews.
Heck, why not just stick with vhs...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332
Heck, why not just stick with vhs...
What does that mean?

There is a huge improvement in video quality between VHS and DVD. The difference is so significant that it easily justified the cost of DVD hardware even when it was a lot more expensive than it is now. The delta, in our opinion, based on watching Avatar tonight, is not at all consequential between the high quality video provided by a standard DVD and the video provided by a high definition Blu-Ray disk. The minimal improvement we saw tonight, in my opinion, does not justify the cost of a $150 player. It also means I am not going to replace my optical drives on my computer with drives capable of writing to the much more expensive Blu-Ray writable disks.

So, what does this have to do with VHS players?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Quote:
My wife and I have always been very satisfied with the outstanding quality video displayed by the Denon and our Sony 52" W series TV

We were so underwhelmed by what we saw, compared to the standard DVD video quality we are used to, we also watched a few scenes from the standard DVD (on the new Sony S570) and proved what we perceived was not our imagination.
How far away do you sit from the screen? If you are more than 7' away, you will not benefit from the full resolution of 1080 discs. By 18' there would be zero discernible difference vs DVD.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Some movies there is a dramatic difference, some not so much.

I watched Avatar in DVD form (playing on xbox360 via hdmi) on a 50" Samsung LCD - higher end model and 1080P if I am not mistaken. Lacked depth and pop IMO

I again watched it on Bluray on my 56" Toshiba DLP 1080P - the change was relatively dramatic between the two.

So part of it could be your display also - either it does a really nice job of putting out a pic with either source OR it is lacking enough to make the difference dramatic.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think we should all chip in a few bucks so the original poster can make a trip to the optometrist! j/k

There is a HUGE difference in Blu-Ray and SD DVD. I have a 106" screen and SD DVD is unwatchable at that size with even the best upconverting players (i.e. Oppo BDP-83). Even on my 58" plasma there is a very noticeable difference in quality. You didn't mention how far you were seated from the display, but it sounds like you need a significantly bigger display for your viewing distance if you can't notice much difference between the 2 formats. There is a night and day difference between most of the HD and SD I've watched - even on my plasma.

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
Rhoxs, I have recently purchased the S570, and compared to my old Bluray player (Panasonic BD55) I think the picture quality is actually worse. Seriously. I have a projector, about a 106" screen and I'm underwhelmed. I'm going to read up on the Sony over the weekend and see if I can improve things. I have new respect for Panasonic.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Hmmmmmm, interesting! The Avatar DVD/Blu-ray combo pack is what led me into buying a bluray player. We watched the DVD version on my old Marantz DV8400 that was an exceptional upscaler for the time and were mildly impressed. Curiosity got the best of me and I was able to get a neighbor to allow us to watch the blu-ray version on his player. That was eyeball poppin beautiful and I went home, researched and purchased the Oppo BD83SE. It's hooked up to a 60 inch TV and the difference is like day and night between the two formats, especially on Avatar. There is simply so much more detail in the clothing, the feathers on the head-dress and patterns on those flying lizard things to name a few as well as the color saturation is just incredible. The night time forest all aglow on the DVD just doesn't pop like the blu-ray

Since switching to blu-ray, it's difficult to look at DVDs even though the Oppo does a fantastic job at upscaling. Sorry to hear your experience was lack-luster.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The OP is NOT suggesting that blu-ray does not offer superior PQ over DVD. He is simply suggesting that, in his view, the superior PQ is not worth the higher cost of blu-ray equipment and discs.

What on earth is so objectionable about that? That the OP has to be heckled and insulted simply for expressing this view?

Amazing how some people are very quick to get defensive and then spew insults at any one who suggests that blu-ray might not end war, disease and hunger on earth for all time and bring about peace and justice for all humankind

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quote:

Blu-ray players with superior DVD upscaling are already at or closely approaching the prices of the legacy high quality DVD players. Mind you, the DVD players with really good upscaling were not exactly cheap either. The Oppo blu-ray players are a great bargain as quality upscalers. I personally still buy mostly DVD discs and relatively few blu-ray discs.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Although the quality was excellent, it really was not consequentially ($150) better than the standard DVD version. We were so underwhelmed by what we saw, compared to the standard DVD video quality we are used to, we also watched a few scenes from the standard DVD (on the new Sony S570) and proved what we perceived was not our imagination.
Hey why not just read a book? This a purely subjective discussion that's been worked over for years.

CD

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion
The OP is NOT suggesting that blu-ray does not offer superior PQ over DVD. He is simply suggesting that, in his view, the superior PQ is not worth the higher cost of blu-ray equipment and discs.

What on earth is so objectionable about that?
Nothing, particularly if he is actually seeing the difference between them. Thus far, we do not know that is the case.

·
Banned
936 Posts
Quote:

If you didn't see the difference when you viewed Avatar, I'm afraid you are really in for a big disappointment on many of the other blu-ray releases. Many blu-rays really don't look one bit better than a standard dvd when viewed on a good upscaling dvd player. The Avatar transfer is about as good as it gets. I am viewing on a 65" set at a distance of about 11 feet.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I tend to agree with the OP somewhat. I do see a difference, but not so much of a difference that it detracts from the story. If it is a good movie, I'll still get lost in it and enjoy it all the same. I have a LG 47" LED/LCD and sit about 8 ft away using an Oppo BDP-83. DVD does look very good.

Sound on the other hand is where a big difference is realized. Using my 331ci Denon and Pardigm Studio 10s, the BD disc sound kicks the DVD's butt.

Given that, I too still buy DVDs of dramas or comedies that do not have heavy special effects, visual or audio. Action or Sci-Fi with heavy special affects I'll opt for the BD disc.

In the year I've owned my first bd player, the BDP-83, I've only replaced one DVD with a BD, that was purely for audio reasons, the Sound of Music. I don't have anything else in my collection of around 200 DVDs that I feel compelled to upgrade to BD, maybe LOTR when the extended version is out, pending reviews of how good a quality the transfer is.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Maybe it's a question of settings on either his t.v. or the player. Check to make sure you are outputting 1080p to the set. Maybe also the set has not been calibrated properly for the new player, check those settings in the menu and use a calibration disc (Avia, Spears Munsil) to tweak the picture. As others have said, you should see a difference between Bluray and standard dvd especially on a reference disc as Avatar. Also, I always turn off any video enhancing options in the player.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.