AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following are screenshots from a Canon PowerShot S410 on a tripod of my 37" 1080p Sharp LCD LC-37D90U displaying the Black Hawk Down Blu-Ray vs. the DVD version played from a PS3 v1.8 via HDMI:

Blu-Ray Full

Blu-Ray Closeup

Upscaled 1080p DVD Full

Upscaled 1080p DVD Closeup
What do you think?

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
There is a BR software forum, this is one of the BR hardware forums.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I wouldn't say one is "clearly" better; they both look very clear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
interesting... There is better clarity on the Blu-Ray, but the overall benefit is far less than Standard DVD to Blu-Ray. THis is great news as most of us have plenty of DVD's we'd prefer not to re-purchase. I for one would be satisfied with upscaled DVD's rather than spending 20+ on new Blu-Rays when available!

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
^^^

A) You'd miss out on PCM sound if you stay with DVD, which is incredible with BHD in particular.

B) Not even the majority of DVDs are transferred as decently as BHD, so quality greatly varies on DVD more than Blu-ray

C) The Tier 0 movies on Blu-ray are even more noticeably sharp and detailed than the DVD alternatives

That said, there are plenty of mid tier movies I'll keep on DVD while enjoying the big ticket flicks on Blu-ray. I love having the choice on one awesome machine.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'd have to agree, upscaled dvd's still don't come close to blu-rays. Sure, if you dont want to spend the money, then go ahead and rationalize it all you want, but there's no comparison. I've watched plenty of both, and even the best upscaling dvd players, like the oppos, still arent near blu ray, not to mention a tier 0 like joeblow stated. To really notice the difference you have to watch blu ray for awhile, then try switching back to reg dvd's, you'll notice right away. Dont get me wrong, i love being able to upscale my old dvd's, saves me money on having to buy a ton of blu rays, but you really cant compare the two , unless of course your using smaller tv.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Unless you sit a long ways away from your TV, and are listening to the sound through your TV speakers, BD should be a whole lot better than upscaled DVD. If you've got a PS3, it would be a big waiste not to take advantage of it's BD player.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
For the most part, from what I've seen, upscaled dvds tend not to even break into tier 2. The quality of the upscaled dvd can range. While some (like BHD) are very decent, there's other dvds that look terrible, even when upscaled.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'd have to agree with some of the posters above. BD looks way better, and there is a lot more detail to be seen. IIn the BD version, you can almost see the serial numbers on the handset the guy is using. The SD version shows nothing but a strip. Plus a lot of the times you can't judge the experience by using a single frame. You have to look at it as a whole. I did end up buying the BD version along with the SD (which I've since sold). Way more enjoyable to watch now.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
That being said, there are many many movies which are simply not available in HD formats. For these movies, the upscaling ability makes watching these a more enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
there are also better encoded blu-ray movies. like if you compared PotC DVD vs Blu-Ray, there will probably be a bigger difference. i think BHD looked quite good on DVD and BHD on Blu-Ray was one of the first movies released on Blu-Ray. like DVD started out, the IQ will improve with Blu-Ray as well.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
It all depends on screen size! On my 92" PJ...I can clearly see the difference between any BR disk and and upscaled DVD...despite the fact that the PS3 now does a very nice job.

But on my 42" plasma...the gap is closed significantly. Upscaling now produces excellent results. Still not HD PQ...but very very nice. I threw in a B movie cheapie DVD ( The Man with X-Ray Vision) with a 40 year old movie. WOW! Upscaled on my plasma it is fantastic. Better than I could ever imagined.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_six_pack /forum/post/0

That being said, there are many many movies which are simply not available in HD formats. For these movies, the upscaling ability makes watching these a more enjoyable experience.

I actually agree. Despite the fact that I had given up on SD DVDs, the PS3 breathes new life into some movies that may never appear in HD.

·
Registered
160 Posts
the bluray looks better but i would not say it blows it away

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Threads like this show support my signature.

Is there a visual difference.

Yes.

Is there a significant visual difference.

Depends on the transfer.

How noticeable would the difference be from the average viewing distance on a 50" or smaller HDTV (your average setup).

Not significantly different.

Will the majority of people care about that difference.

NOPE!

Are most people going to buy a new HDMI 1.3 reciever to enjoy the lossless sound.

NOPE!

As a technology and audio/video fan. I get excited about the concept of both BR and HDDVD. But in the real world most people are not willing to spend $1000+ to enjoy the difference similiar to what the original poster has captured.

Sure the day may come in the future years from now where a BR or HDDVD or combo player is priced at $100 and discs are priced at DVD levels and people will start to take notice.

But at its current pricing level and its current experience. BR/HDDVD are simply not impressive enough to warrant most people to upgrade.

DVD still provides a phenominal picture that satisfies my people. Including myself. And I'm an HDDVD owner.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric23 /forum/post/0

The following are screenshots from a Canon PowerShot S410 on a tripod of my 37" 1080p Sharp LCD LC-37D90U displaying the Black Hawk Down Blu-Ray vs. the DVD version played from a PS3 v1.8 via HDMI:

Blu-Ray Full
What do you think?[/size]

I think your TV has WAY too much red push.

The guy's face looks like he was near a supernova explosion...

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
For the past 7 years the weak link in my video chain was my DVD player. No matter how you cut it, 480P upcoverted is still 480P in my book. No matter how well its done, it simply can not compete with a properly encoded BD or HD-DVD disk in 1080P. Now my 768P front projector is the weak link....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.