AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes. See the thread a page or two back about Denon's new universal player. Should be coming in March or April of next year, at a price of $3K+

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Pioneer mention that they will have one at some point.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Regarding Pioneer's offerings, there was some discussion indicating that the upcoming bdp-lx91 would have sacd and dvd-audio playback, but I haven't seen any definitive evidence of that yet. If so, that player is supposed to come out by the end of the year, so may beat Denon to the punch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdot /forum/post/14327246

Yes. See the thread a page or two back about Denon's new universal player. Should be coming in March or April of next year, at a price of $3K+

This is good news , but the price for me makes it a no go..........maybe a trickle down to $800 or so next summer..........

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Oppo is supposedly coming out with a Blu-ray player this fall. Given they specialize in universal players, I am hoping that their Blu-ray also plays DVD-Audio and SACD.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmav /forum/post/14329611

This is good news , but the price for me makes it a no go..........maybe a trickle down to $800 or so next summer..........

$3,000+ trickling down to $800?

·
Registered
7,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan /forum/post/14329630

Oppo is supposedly coming out with a Blu-ray player this fall. Given they specialize in universal players, I am hoping that their Blu-ray also plays DVD-Audio and SACD.

Oppo won't have a player out in the fall. They are working on one, but I doubt it will be here that soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley /forum/post/14329678

$3,000+ trickling down to $800?

Sorry i meant a model with less frills and lower end priced for folks like me ..

·
Registered
353 Posts
doesn't the 80gig ps3 do all that?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will-san /forum/post/14329953

doesn't the 80gig ps3 do all that?

No DVD-A Audio

·
Registered
15,697 Posts
No Sony player will ever play DVD-A.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/14330030

No Sony player will ever play DVD-A.

+1

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Panasonic BD10 is the only Blu-ray player that plays DVD-A.

Sony PS3 (20GB and 60GB) are the only Blu-ray player that plays SACD.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,739 Posts
The discontinued, and now the recently re-introduced, 80GB Sony PS3 units also play SACD. However it is rumored that Sony will re-introduce the 80GB AGAIN in September and this time remove SACD playback from that one.

However I don't recommend the 20, 60 or 80GB PS3 units due to fan noise. They are inherently hot-running units. The only PS3 I recommend is the 40GB unit (and I only recommend it for Blu-Ray playback) due to its inherent cooler operation -- and thus no fan noise. But the 40GB does not play SACD discs.

--Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmav /forum/post/14329856

Sorry i meant a model with less frills and lower end priced for folks like me ..

Your best bet will probably be to just wait for the oppo to come out...which might be a while. I am not aware of any other players coming to market in the near future that will have these features and be reasonably priced. Another option would be to just use more than one player.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmav /forum/post/14329611

Have you considered using two players so you can enjoy all of the formats right now? You can get an Oppo 980 or 983 and a separate Blu-ray player for your desired price.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan /forum/post/14329630

Where did you read this? I've heard nothing about any release dates or even if Oppo is definitely working on this. It's all been speculation as far as I know.

Please provide real documentation to back up you statement that Oppo will release a BD player this fall.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/14330372

Panasonic BD10 is the only Blu-ray player that plays DVD-A.

Sony PS3 (20GB and 60GB) are the only Blu-ray player that plays SACD.

No Panasonic player will ever play SACD.

No Sony player will ever player DVD-Audio.

That is a format war that never ended.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts