AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a sharp xv-z12000 connected via the DVI to a sony blu-ray (bdp-s300, sony hdmi to sharp dvi input). The sony just died. I bought a new sony blu-ray and it wont talk over the hdmi to the sharp. Sony complains about not a valid hdmi device. So I took the new sony blu-ray back.

Are there any blu-rays that will work hdmi to dvi. Note: The sharp does not have HDMI input, just DVI. But Ive used it for 2 1/2 years like this (and via a computer with blu-ray and Any-DVD before that via dvi).

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 /forum/post/19557208

I've had a sharp xv-z12000 connected via the DVI to a sony blu-ray (bdp-s300, sony hdmi to sharp dvi input). The sony just died. I bought a new sony blu-ray and it wont talk over the hdmi to the sharp. Sony complains about not a valid hdmi device. So I took the new sony blu-ray back.

Are there any blu-rays that will work hdmi to dvi. Note: The sharp does not have HDMI input, just DVI. But Ive used it for 2 1/2 years like this (and via a computer with blu-ray and Any-DVD before that via dvi).

If the display has HDCP on the DVI port then any BR player should work. If it doesn't then I don't think any will.

-Bill

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/19557400

If the display has HDCP on the DVI port then any BR player should work. If it doesn't then I don't think any will.

-Bill

The thing is, it did work with the old sony, but did not with the new one.

As I understood it, the DVI port should work for regular dvds on the blu-ray player, and the blu-rays should also work (at lower res than full HD) using the HDMI to DVI connection.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Asking which BDP will work HDMI to DVI as a generic question isn't going to help tremendously here as it seems it's a specific player to display interaction.

Perhaps the HDMI 1.4 in the new Sony 3D model is more stringent in handshaking and in any case something must be different to account for why the new Sony doesn't work but the old does. If that's true you may have better luck with an older generation player or it's just down to trial and error and see what works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.