AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the right section to post this in. I looked around and couldn't seem to find a section where this perfectly fit.

It has to do with projectors and home theatre in general, as well as blu-rays, so this seemed as good a place as any.

What are your favorite blu-rays for your home theatre? Not necessarily the best movies, or your favorite movies period, although they should also be good movies on their own, but just good - great movies that work especially well for the home theatre.

Here are the specifications if you will for what I mean. These movies might be a lot like the 2nd half of Pearl Harbor, with the fantastic aerial action, specifically because I imagine that would be really good to watch with a surround setup and a big screen, seeing those planes fly all around, and then also hearing them almost fly around you because of the setup. So that's what I mean. Blu-rays (or DVDs, HD DVD's, whatever) that you would recommend to someone while keeping in mind that they have a surround setup, and a big screen tv or projector. So a movie with good airplane action is a good example because of how they buzz around when you keep in mind speakers, and just any great fantasy movie with good visuals and good characters would obviously be a thrill to watch on a big screen, but many of those people have already heard of. Another good example that I'm interested in hearing recommendations about are good period piece films. Not necessarily something like Pride and Prejudice because despite it being a period piece, the visuals aren't meant to stand out. But any period piece that has good visuals, is maybe a war or fantasy period piece, or just a very atmospheric historical period piece with many beautiful shots of environments. And of course any epic film of any kind raelly, whether it be fatasy, historical, science fiction. I would love if if someone could recommend more films like Star Wars episode 3. It wasn't perfect but overall the combination of visuals, action, and likable characters (despite some of their lines they are still compelling enough... could be better but still good IMO), is just an amazing experience, and if there are any other films out there with such great visuals, where they travel to beautiful planet and beautiful place after beautiful place, with epic stories, those types of films would obviously qualify here.

Any film really that is #1, a solid film, and #2, either really works well and adds to surround sound setups, and or really has great visuals. Really just the type of films that are so much fun to watch when you have a good home theatre setup that even if you've seen them numerous times already, they are still great to watch for you just purely because of the visuals or audio. Even if the story and characters and dialogue bore you the 10th time watching it, maybe it's still a fun experience just because its visuals and audio are so great. If that's too much to ask then just recommend whichever films you think are the closest to qualifying to those specifications.

Some examples...

Pearl Harbor. I love the visuals in that movie. I imagine the surround sound during the action would really make it amazing.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. I've yet to see this film but from the trailer I imagine this would be another one of the same animals as Pearl Harbor.

From Hell. This is an example of a period piece type film. It's very atmospheric. It doesn't have the epic scale that I like in my period pieces, but a film can't have everything. Well, it can, be rarely does. the story really isn't an epic or anything. For what the story is, and how it takes place in mostly the same environments, the film actually does a good job creating the scale that it does have. That being said this isn't the definitive example of the type of period pieces I talked about earlier. Most should probably have bigger scale and more environments if they're to meet the specifications for this thread.

Sunshine. The visuals are stunning. Some of the best I've seen. The film had a bit of a claustrophobic feel to it, and even just watching it on a small monitor, which is what I watched it on back then, with just one speaker in front of me and two positioned in back to the sides, the audio surrounding me really gave the movie an uneasy, constantly suspenseful, terrifying almost feel. So the audio for me anyway really added to this experience.

There it is. Recommend away! And moderators, my apologies if this is in the wrong section. If it is, please be so kind as to not delete it, but rather move it to the appropriate place if need be.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Please use the thread K-Spaz linked and/or the AQ sticky thread is good too.

We'd have members start a new "demo" thread almost weekly (instead of bumping or using an existing thread)...so the PQ/AQ threads are to take the place of threads like this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.