AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is in the right place, but if not please move it and let me know how to go about these type of posts.

Ok, I want to get a Blu-Ray player for the main room, however I don't want to replace the reciever that I already have. It's a Sony HT-DDW840, pre-HDMI.

Currently, the DVD player is hooked up to the digital coaxial, and the set-top-box is using the optical. The box only has an optical audio out.

So, I want a player that has an audio coaxial output that can offers full support for all audio streams to be re-encoded to DTS, or with multi-channel audio output.

Yes, I know that Dolby Digital signals will be left un-touched.

The player will be used to play Blu-Ray and DVD disks, as well as some Blu-Ray special features including BD-Live features, but nothing else.

If I need to provide storage space, that's fine. A memory card and/or flash drive's are cheap enough.

I would prefer internal wireless, but I can work around that if needed.

I want to spend as little as possible. My actual max, and can go no higher budget is $150 before tax. Obviously, I would like to spend less, but I'm realistic.

The other option is that I can always just wait longer

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Not quite correct. If the player offers internal decoding of HD audio formats and has analog audio outputs, an older receiver with analog audio inputs can take advantage of the HD formats. HDMI is only needed to bitstream HD audio or LPCM sound. Unfortunately, analog audio outs are rarely found on the cheapest players.

BTW, the original poster should post his question in the http://www.avsforum.com/t/959985/official-help-me-choose-a-player-thread-cant-decide-start-here thread.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I think I need to clarify. I mean for the player to re-encode DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby-Digital TrueHD, and LPCM, to the older DTS.

I know that these players exist, but there are way to many options.

·
Super Moderator
16,743 Posts
Samsung used to have re-encode to DTS.

S~

·
Registered
3,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1031982  /t/1468328/blu-rya-player-reccomendations-please#post_23206206

Ok, I think I need to clarify. I mean for the player to re-encode DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby-Digital TrueHD, and LPCM, to the older DTS.

I know that these players exist, but there are way to many options.

That is a requirement of the Blu-Ray specs, if I remember correctly, and any player should be sable to send the "core" DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 audio over coax. A player should recognize whether your system can handle the HD formats or not by how it is wired. Note that you are limited to 5.1.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will have to connect the audio and video separately.

I'll connect the player to the TV with HDMI, but the audio needs to go through digital coaxial. From what I have seen, the spec says that the audio from the movie's stream needs to be allowed to be re-encoded, however all other audio is optional.

That's why I came here, as most info I can get is not very clear on being able to re-encode all sources.

·
Super Moderator
16,743 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's all well and good, but I'm still stuck with not knowing what player to get.

However, that is good information. I didn't realize that players went that far, as in the manuals I have read usually say that you can't get all the audio from special features on a blu-ray disk unless it's over HDMI.

·
Super Moderator
16,743 Posts
Sony has coax. Panasonic does not.

S~

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
I don't think any current players work that way (re-encode lossless tracks). If the lossy tracks exist, then they will bitstream over coax, if not, they will be mixed down to 2 ch PCM, not to 5.1.

In any case, I have the same setup as you and get sound from any and all discs and all special features. Just turn on BD mix setting. All current players work the same in that regard. Some have coax, some don't. So all you need to worry about is whether your chosen player has coax at all.

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
I have Sony mostly. But it's starting to get frustrating because more and more BD titles lack DD 5.1 and DTS, which results in 2 ch downmixes, which sucks. The time is fast approaching where I'll be forced to upgrade my AVR. Although DD and/or DTS are required on discs, they skirt the rules by using them only the foreign language or narrated tracks. So the only 5.1 track ends up being in Spanish, and only the downmixed HD tracks are English. That kind of crap should be illegal, but those are the games the studios are playing these days.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I got the LG BP530. Nothing fancy, but it loads disks quickly, and has internal wireless. I picked up a small 8GB flash drive so BD Live can be used. It's nice, because the drive is black, and overall blends well into the player.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.