AVS Forum banner

921 - 940 of 975 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
The Danny line was funny and good.

Did anyone notice when Eddie went undercover and she entered the place with Anthony where Ruby worked that Ruby called her Eddie instead of her undercover name? I hit the rewind button to make sure she said it. I don't recall Eddie ever telling Ruby what he real name was.
Something got lost in the translation. I just checked ...... When Eddie and Anthony enter the shop Ruby shouts across the room "Jess". Anthony then says, as they approach. "Tell her Eddie". Ruby responds with a shocked "Eddie?".

I am totally not sure why you heard it the way you wrote it ...... but that is not how it aired in New York

·
Registered
462 Posts
I didn't hear Anthony call her Eddie, I guess that makes sense now.
Yes that makes perfect sense because it is a very "noisy" scene and poorly recorded. Anthony is walking with Eddie towards Ruby on an old creaky floor, there is traffic and city tone from outside the shop and Anthony is speaking with a normal and not forced projection. Everything in the shop sounds reverberant ...... as if the scene was recorded with a single boom microphone.

So yes, it was easy to miss Anthony's line and your conclusion was correct given what you heard when you watched the show.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I didn't understand this week's pension controversy - what was the officer doing that violated the terms of his pension, and how could it possibly involve the IRS?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Generally, the terms of a disability pension require that any additional income earned after retirement be reported and counted against the disability money. The story line mentions that the disabled cop was not reporting the extra income to the pension board, which would have reduced his pension benefit. It was open fraud, over and above the fraud of how he was injured in the first place.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Generally, the terms of a disability pension require that any additional income earned after retirement be reported and counted against the disability money. The story line mentions that the disabled cop was not reporting the extra income to the pension board, which would have reduced his pension benefit. It was open fraud, over and above the fraud of how he was injured in the first place.

I figured it must be something like that, like if you take social security early, earnings over a certain threshold reduce your payments. I don't get how that would interest the IRS as long as he was reporting all his income.

Given what he was getting away with, why on earth would he be disparaging the NYPD in his speeches? Though I don't think his disability was fraudulent; it did legitimately occur in the line of duty, just not in the heroic way he pretended. You'd think his fellow officers that helped him cover it up would resent his behavior enough to expose him, though I suppose that would get them into trouble too...

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I thought Friday's show was exceptionally good. Story was a bit predictable, but the topics were great. I was wondering if they would do a story on cops being doused with water.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I thought Friday's show was exceptionally good. Story was a bit predictable, but the topics were great. I was wondering if they would do a story on cops being doused with water.

I's interesting that NYC apparently has buckets of water handy on every street corner.

Erin's over-the-top remorse over her "mistake" made no sense. She did her job and prosecuted the guy based on the evidence - it's not her job to prove he's innocent. So new evidence entirely unknown to her comes to light that exonerates him - that's great, but it doesn't in any way mean that the prosecution acted improperly.

Danny's story was clever, but I don't think too many suspects would fall for the trap so easily.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
I's interesting that NYC apparently has buckets of water handy on every street corner.

Erin's over-the-top remorse over her "mistake" made no sense. She did her job and prosecuted the guy based on the evidence - it's not her job to prove he's innocent. So new evidence entirely unknown to her comes to light that exonerates him - that's great, but it doesn't in any way mean that the prosecution acted improperly.

Danny's story was clever, but I don't think too many suspects would fall for the trap so easily.
Yeah, was that a part of the windshield washing phenomenon? It was odd.

Didn't buy the Erin story either.

Danny's collar was not exactly the brightest bulb in the pack ... thus, his stupidity in confessing.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Why does Tom Selleck wear a uniform if he is the commissioner? A few times I have seen him in full uniform with all the stars..

·
23,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #933
Why does Tom Selleck wear a uniform if he is the commissioner? A few times I have seen him in full uniform with all the stars..
He's the highest ranking NYPD officer. I imagine there are times when the uniform is "appropriate" for the occasion due to guidelines, tradition, etc.

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
The number of 'Network' series I watch is down to counting on one hand (almost). This is one of them and it's still pretty good ;).

·
Registered
888 Posts
The following are just observations, not criticisms.

Has anybody else noticed that, this season, they are really letting Frank's (Selleck's) hair show up as being a LOT grayer?

Also (speaking of Frank), has anybody noticed how little they show him actually walking around? I would guess that ~90% of the time (or more) he is sitting down. I just noticed this when I was rewatching some episodes from the first season. Back then, he was frequently shown walking. Not now. This also applies to "Grandpa" Reagen.

Before I'm flamed, yes, I realize that Selleck is ~75 in real life and is no longer a "spring chicken". I would not ever think that he should have to show a physical "prowess" anymore. But, to me, it rather stood out how little he is shown physically moving presently.

Also–the show has now been on for ~10 years. Does anybody feel that (perhaps) this year might be the end of the series? Just asking.

Once again, the above are just observations, not criticisms.

·
Registered
11,543 Posts
Yes, I believe I've read here this season would be the last. And while it was an excellent show in the past and I still like it, it's probably time.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I'm a fan and have watched every episode and I still smile knowing that the actor playing Frank's dad is three years older than Frank. My current problem with the show is I can't imagine Jamie and Eddie being assigned to the same precinct. That's worse than dating your teacher.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Did anyone else find the most recent episode (3/6) to be one of the stranger, confusing episodes they've ever done?

The situation with Jamie and his stolen vest. No one else was looking out for him, like he had the plague. I would think internal affairs would be more interested in finding out who stole the vest than trying to railroad Jamie.

I never got the interest between Erin and the perp looking to make some kind of deal. The whole dynamic of the story and how they shot the scenes were just weird.

Then there's Frank and Ed Asner's character. First, I hated seeing Asner look as bad as he did. It made Selleck look like a spring chicken. Second, I never got the intent of the story. As I understand it, some punk that robbed Asner was allowed to come back to his place to inspect something. I didn't get that, it made no sense unless I totally misunderstood. If there is such a law and they were trying to point out how stupid that is, they could have done a better job of explaining it.

The only storyline that made any sense was the one with Danny and I didn't like how it was written and I didn't like any of the characters.

921 - 940 of 975 Posts