AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my misgivings about picking up this title, but after seeing some of its opening scenes off the TiVo I wanted the disc. The reason, there are some dark, predawn scenes in the film which looked inexplicably good on my HT1000, a DLP projector. I had expected such scenes to look quite poor. It wasn't so and I wanted to check out the scenes in greater detail.

Well.... the film is a GREAT surf video. Sound effects are enveloping. If you have a good subwoofer you feel as if you are inside the tube and sense the tons of water about to crush you. The plot line is thin, but it's a film worth putting in the collection as a sensory experience visually, musically and movie sound effect.

The opening dark scenes are interesting to watch. Despite the low dusk lighting levels, the transfer manages to carry it off with considerable realism on both my DLP and CRT projectors. Outdoor scenes are well lit and you'll be amazed by cinematography in the film. I'd put it in the same demo class as Drum Line. Not the ultimate in picture and sound, but a lot of fun to watch or show off.

My wife liked the film as well. I think I've corrupted her though. In the middle of the film she had me stop the disc because she wanted to compare how the last few scenes looked with the other projector! I was stunned to hear that request from HER.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
I have to say I agree with all of this. The movie is not for everyone, but the surfing and sound were great. I picked it up as the 3rd of 3 simply because there wasn't anything else I hadn't seen. I throughly enjoyed it. And, you're right, cranking up the sub and having the waves crash was way cool! Some of the best surfing sounds and action I've seen since Endless Summer. I wonder if they've remix'd that?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't going to rent the DVD but now I think I will.

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Holloway
I had several reasons to buy this DVD but if I'm honest

Kate was part of the reason

:)

rob
rob: You should have a long talk with your parents before they let you watch movies like this.;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I enjoy and own this film. My only complaint would be for more surfing and less silly quarteback middle plot. I also watch it on my DLP piped from a Bravo D1. If you are a member of Netflix and would like to watch another surfing movie try "In God's Hands". This is basically a male version of Blue Crush with more and better surf footage , it even has the underwater rock sceen and there are three main characters. However, the plot is a bit discontiguous and was critisized roundly for this. However, the surf footage and the idea of the "zen" ( pardon the cliche) of surfing basically would pull my vote for it being a better movie. The big wave surfing scenes at the end are just unbelievable and worth the rental price alone. By the way my sub just roars on "In Gods Hands".

Other surf movies w/o Kate:

Blue Juice ( trully fun yet bizarre film of surfers in ENGLAND!)

Whie Knuckle extreme, 7 women surfers

Big Wendsday

and of course.....

Endless Summer I and II ( II only on VHS)

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Does anyone know if Step into Liquid ever be more than a nice trailer?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Kuo

Well.... the film is a GREAT surf video. Sound effects are enveloping. If you have a good subwoofer you feel as if you are inside the tube and sense the tons of water about to crush you.

Guy,

I would have been a lot better if they didn't turn so many of the surfing scenes into music videos. Very annoying. This is a really stupid movie but I also generally liked it because of the big waves. However, I didn't think it was a keeper, a rental for me.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Quote:

If you are a member of Netflix and would like to watch another surfing movie try "In God's Hands". This is basically a male version of Blue Crush with more and better surf footage , it even has the underwater rock sceen and there are three main characters. However, the plot is a bit discontiguous and was critisized roundly for this. However, the surf footage and the idea of the "zen" ( pardon the cliche) of surfing basically would pull my vote for it being a better movie. The big wave surfing scenes at the end are just unbelievable and worth the rental price alone. By the way my sub just roars on "In Gods Hands".

I'm sorry but I simply have to disagree with this. IGH has maybe 15 minutes of surfing in it. It has all the plot development of a rock video. In fact, it seems like one big long music video. But the thing that really bugs me is that the big surf scenes are very poorly done. Most were from shore based cameras (i.e. a looong way off) and there is a lot of haze and generally poor detail in these shots. Yeah, the big surf is impressive but, frankly, blue crush is a better surfing movie and that isn't saying much. This movie is so bad that not only did I not care what happened to the characters at the end, I actually was rooting for a big one to take them all out.

I want to see step into liquid. as long as it has quality photography, I can be a fan.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Thanks to this thread, rented and watched Blue Crush last night. It has a nice combination of an appealing star portraying a believable character, lightweight plot, and great surfing footage. One minor nit on the surfing footage, I picked up on the face replacement effects in a couple of scenes late in the film. Looks like they have a little ways to go to make this more seamless. It was interesting to see that Brian Gratzer, the producer, is a surfer. Strangely, the film did not come across as being made by a bunch of slavish devotees to the sport. Maybe that was a good thing.

Regarding Step into Liquid, if I'd put a little more effort into it, I would have seen that it is actually playing here in Seattle at the moment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.