AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I get interested in purchasing a new rear projection set, I usually end up walking away disgusted at the convergence problems with spot size and focus of the blue CRT. All of these manufacturers blow the blue gun out where it noticably blooms much larger than the green and red CRTs. Can anyone explain why? The video settings usually come in noticeably cooler than I'm used to seeing.

Are there resellers out there who take care of this before delivery?

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Defocusing the blue beam is a trick that is commonly used to help hide convergence and scan line issues.

I don't know of any resellers that recalibrate before delivery. A really good ISF calibrator could solve some of these issues. But if your set has an inaccurate color decoder or doesn't have enough convergence control, then there is only so much they can do.

Most good FP CRTs don't have these issues, so you might consider converting a good FP CRT if you want really high quality RP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Sony 550 and 510 are my favorites this year.

A good ISF tech can focus the blue tube no problem. The blue on all sony's is defocused to increase light output.(as with most other companies)

Plus I know from exp in the service menu of the 550 you can set the color decoder to the level of a Faroudja video scaler.

So the Sony 550 is awsome because when calibrated; awsome geometry, convergence, and broadcast quility color decoding, specatular gamma and gray scale tracking, and 720p!

Only the Mits has slightly better color filtering on the red channel.

But other than that the sony is king of the hill in 2004

Cheers

Ryan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.