Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a new (one month old) Toshiba 42H81 tele that has a "hint" of a blue hue all up and down the left hand side (viewed from facing the screen) of the screen.

All convergence settings look good. I see there are a couple of postings about this same sort of thing but they have only been smudges in corners of the television.

Any ideas? It's very annoying. Thanks, Dave.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dave,

If its only a month old, get Toshiba and your dealer to make it right. Even though you say "all the convergence settings look good", it is either out of convergence or perhaps the overscan isnt adjusted correctly, but its still too new to let us guess about how to fix it yourself. Call your dealer and let them send out a service guy to diagnose it, and let him fix it to your satifaction ot swap it out. Let us know how it comes out.

Kevin

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

This is actually pretty normal RPTV behavior. The left side is usually always bluish and while the right side has a hint of red. It is a natural byproduct of how RPTV's work.

This is not a warranty issue as the the behavior is normal whether you like it or not.

It is fixable though ... by the tweak known as "lens striping."

Check out the keohihdtv site for more details on the theory of the problem and the explanation of how to implement the solution.

Go read there and come back here with any additional questions.

Regards

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Michael you have really been harsh latley. I don't doubt you know your stuff, just that you are comming off a little gruff her and on the spot.

I have a 42h81 an would not consiter a blue haze "normal". This is an effect ( I have had mine for 6mo ) that I have not witnessed. I can see type 1 and typ 3 ghosting as well as other problems.

Get your dealer or toshiba to fix it.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

I may only seem harsh if people refuse to listen to the answer that has been laid out in front of them.

"Doctor ... it hurts when I hit myself like this."

"Well, then stop doing that."

"That is not what I wanted to hear, I think I need a second opinion."

:)

As for the original poster here ... I wasn't harsh at all. Just stating it like it is. The fact that Toshiba won't do anything for this is expected. But it doesn't matter since the fix is so simple anyway. Save your time and energy and just fix it yourself. That's what I say.

Regards

·
Registered
381 Posts
Why is it that people never like to hear the truth. One should always tell it like it is.

The lens striping works. It's on my set.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Funny, I have a Toshiba and I don't have this problem at all. So perhaps you shouldn't act like an issue is prevalent on all RPTVs, which I and all of my friends have no tint issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Perhaps you eye is not as trained or as critical as some others and that is why you don't notice it.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

It should be noted that lens striping has been needed on 100% of the Toshiba sets that I have seen. The level of lenstriping varies, as expected, but none are immune from this colour shift.

The only sets that I have encountered that tended not to need this was the Pioneer sets. Occasionally, they need a bit here and there, but mostly not. Of course the reason Pioneer does not need it is because any quick examination of the Pioneer CRT lens system will reveal that they have already implemented lens striping on their own sets.

Regards

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Seeing as that you work in a piss poor canadian economy, I cant imagine that you see too many HDTV sets as is, especially since the CBC is still broadcasting in mono, one can only imagine how antiquated the canadian FCC is, and inversely, how long it will be until all canadian homes are recieving ATSC broadcasts. That being said, Im 23, I have MUCH better than 20/20 vision, and I have an eye for detail. I have seen televisions with striping issues, I can mess with my convergence enough that it's noticeable, as it is now, my TV (A 4:3 HDTV) has no issues with blue tinting on the left OR red tinting on the right side.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have an honest question:

Because of the "widescreen" factor, is it possible that the bluish tint on the left and reddish tint on the right is less noticeable on a 4:3 set compared to a 16:9 set? The angles of the CRTs need to be greater for them to display on a wider image, no? Could that explain why someone with a 4:3 set would see less of this than someone with a 16:9 set?

I too had a Toshiba (several, actually........thanks to build problems and the ugly ghosting issue). Neither of them had this issue as noticeably as my new Mits 65", but Im sure they both could have been improved through the use of lens striping.

Granted sometimes it really IS an issue.........the first new Mits I had had this issue BIG time......far more than the one I have now, and far more than a "slight" hint........at least compared to what I have now. Watching ER as a Dr. walked across the screen their lab coat went from a bluish white on the left to perfect white in the center to a dingy yellow/reddish white on the right. It was that bad...........my new set exhibits the same issue, but not nearly to the same extent.

The tech came out to look at the first one, and just like Michael said, the TV was performing in-spec, and they couldnt do anything to fix it.

Id stick with lens-striping and be done with it..........you'll be happier in the end (getting a replacement isnt all its cracked up to be, trust me).

-Chris

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Every Tosh I have seen has had some bluish tinge, I thought that was how it held its black level. I dont think I noticed the red tinge (prolly because I'm red green colorblind!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.