AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Honestly, you won't be able to tell any difference. Look at any of the thousands of threads dedicated to the placebo effect of speaker wire. True double-blind tests have shown that there is no audible, discernible, repeatable difference between cheap lampcord wire, the most expensive cable on earth, and a coat hanger. I use Blue Jeans Cable in my family room setup, and a combination of Blue Jeans and Monoprice in-wall 12 gauge cables in my dedicated theater. For reference, I'm using Revel Salon2 speakers across the front in the theater, with a McIntosh MC402 for stereo music, and a pair of Avalon Symbols and some other higher-end gear in both my setups.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, you won't be able to tell any difference. Look at any of the thousands of threads dedicated to the placebo effect of speaker wire. True double-blind tests have shown that there is no audible, discernible, repeatable difference between cheap lampcord wire, the most expensive cable on earth, and a coat hanger. I use Blue Jeans Cable in my family room setup, and a combination of Blue Jeans and Monoprice in-wall 12 gauge cables in my dedicated theater. For reference, I'm using Revel Salon2 speakers across the front in the theater, with a McIntosh MC402 for stereo music, and a pair of Avalon Symbols and some other higher-end gear in both my setups.
I'll look into it thanks

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I guess theres no real diffence in cables?
That's one of those questions that's harder to answer than it looks...

I am involved right now in a speaker cable project for a client which involves some very interesting theoretical work done by one electrical engineer pertaining to some odd features of low-frequency signalling, and discussing the engineering issues has made it clear enough to me that there are some hypotheses, where speaker cable is concerned, that are very much worth empirical testing.

But in general, I think it is fair to say that barring some truly odd and esoteric things being done, the largest factor by FAR in speaker cable quality is simply wire size. Because it's a low-impedance, high-current signal, susceptible to frequency-dependent losses that flow from the relation between the resistance of the cable (which is nearly flat across the audio spectrum) and the impedance of the speaker (which is NOT flat across the audio spectrum), the best strategy -- certainly the one I employ at home -- is to simply have sufficient copper between amp and speaker to prevent the speaker cable from causing trouble.

There are also quality differences in manufacture which have an impact upon things like long-term product stability. Use of poor grades of PVC in insulation, for example, will catalyze corrosion in the copper, and we see this all the time in Chinese products (usually of no known provenance other than "Made in China").

That's more or less the state of things where speaker cable is concerned. Interconnects of various sorts have their own particular quality considerations which vary depending upon the demands placed upon them -- since those are high-impedance circuits the sheer amount of copper becomes less relevant, while things like impedance stability (in high-bandwidth cable like SDI or Cat 6) or capacitance and noise rejection (in analog audio) become more relevant.

Kurt
BJC

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I'd like to add that the above applies to speaker cables, but not HDMI. The cable can make all the difference for [long] HDMI runs. You need to make sure all the 1s and 0s get there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
agreed. Audioholics has a whole video youtube segment on it. It is quite funny. Anyway I have quite a few cables from Blue jeans and they are high quality and well built. I rec them whole heartedly.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Thought I would post my experience. I built my home theater back in 2004-2005 over a new garage. My system did not require HDMI back then but decided I should install at least one cable for future needs. Was using RGB coax back then. So I installed the only HDMI cable that Blue Jeans sold back then. 45 foot length! To this day that cable still works great with 1080p 60 and 3D video too! Can't imagine it will work with 4K but no plan to upgrade yet.

Blue Jeans is the place to buy your cables.

Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts