AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I put up a post about my Sony HS51 developing a bright blue corner that was slowly expanding. It was diagnosed by the members of the forum as a blue polarizer panel gone bad. I set up a repair event with Sony and sent my projector to Laredo for an estimate. I received the estimate today.

$2,209.08

Are you F*%#ing kiddin me Sony? I can buy a brand new HS60 for a lot less than that! Crutchfield has it for under $1,300.

F'n unbelievable!

The other thing is the shipping scam run by Sony and UPS. When you send a repair order they send you back shipping information. It reads:

Quote:
Sony has an agreement with The UPS Store. If you take your unit to the UPS Store, you will receive the benefit of a discount on all packing and shipping materials and their experts will professionally package your unit for shipment to the address above.

They even give you the address of the nearest UPS Store. And they tell you that the unit will be shipped back to you free of charge, even if you decline the repair. So I take it to my UPS Store and they package it up nice and hand me the bill:

$86.15

For a 22.5# package, (which in the fine print says they billed @ 55#). IOW, they don't ship it back to you for free -- you pay for round trip shipping UP FRONT!

Lastly, and this really ticked me off also, I called the Laredo repair facility before I sent the projector in to see if they could give me an estimate for the specific repair cost of a blue polarizer panel. Surely, they have a schedule of what specific repairs cost. "We can't tell you anything until the unit arrives here." I never would have spent the time, trouble, effort and money to send it to them if I had any idea it was going to cost this much.

Anyway, I'm off to research new projectors. Sony projectors go to the bottom of my list.

Craig

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Go DLP or SXRD and forget the heat damage issues. These PJ's are essentially disposable after the warranty. Sorry to hear it man.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey /forum/post/0

Go DLP or SXRD and forget the heat damage issues. These PJ's are essentially disposable after the warranty. Sorry to hear it man.

DLP? So you don't think the color wheel bearing noise be a long term durabilty issue.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Its Sony. No surprise here. That is totally rediculous though. This thread is yet another reason in along list of reasons why I will never buy a product with the Sony name on it no matter what the price is. If I was given one for free I would ebay it.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM /forum/post/0

DLP? So you don't think the color wheel bearing noise be a long term durabilty issue.

Color wheel bearing, thats funny. My hard drive in my htpc is essentially silent and that drive spins about 20 hrs a day been going for 2 years now. Thats alot more use than my PJ sees.

Now if you want to talk about a specific noisy colorwheel, thats OK, but as bearings go, they are plenty capable of being silent and lasting forever.

Sorry to the Original Poster to hear of the repair estimates, that sucks.

Tboy

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Sony, "The one and only". Maybe that should be 'lonely'. They have lost a lot of ground with me over the years. I have only bought Sony once in the past decade. I credit their innovation, however.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I once took a Sony VCR to a sony shop for a repair estimate. The base repair price was $159. New Sony VCRs at the time were selling for $120.

I took it home and fixed it myself with a dremel tool. this was probably 8 years ago.

I still have that same vcr in working condition.

Sony repair sucks.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy555 /forum/post/0

Color wheel bearing, thats funny. My hard drive in my htpc is essentially silent and that drive spins about 20 hrs a day been going for 2 years now. Thats alot more use than my PJ sees.

I see you have 20 posts!

There have been some reports on noisy wheels here on this forum. A good number of IF4805 owners had the issue. Do a search.

Hard drive runs considerably cooler that color wheel and designed to run 24/7.

·
Registered
942 Posts
First, replacing a blue polarizer or any part of the optical block on any LCD projector is prohibitively expensive, it's not just Sony.

Second, going DLP or SXRD will not make you exempt from catastrophic failures.

Lastly, and I know this is not what the OP wants to hear, this sounds like a case of horrible, horrible luck. It's like driving a car and the engine or transmission breaks down just out of warranty.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB2 /forum/post/0

First, replacing a blue polarizer or any part of the optical block on any LCD projector is prohibitively expensive, it's not just Sony.

Second, going DLP or SXRD will not make you exempt from catastrophic failures.

Lastly, and I know this is not what the OP wants to hear, this sounds like a case of horrible, horrible luck. It's like driving a car and the engine or transmission breaks down just out of warranty.

They probably had to replace the entire assembly.

I sort of figured that this thread would open a breading ground for Sony bashers.

Brand bashing only serves as manifestation of bias. It is been known that dpj's are disposable devices.

I would urge any one to report if they have had good experience with any pj's that had out of warranty repairs for a major repair in order to know companies with fair repair cost standing.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:

I see you have 20 posts!

There have been some reports on noisy wheels here on this forum. A good number of IF4805 owners had the issue. Do a search.

its pretty much hit or miss with the color wheel motor...for every complaint I read about somone having buzzsaw noises on thier 2-3 year old projector thier are 3 more people who say thier 3-4 year old dlp with 4 to 5,000 hrs on it is as quiet as can be...Most of the noisey colorwheel threads I've read were about infocus projectors, although I'm not sure if that just because of the greater volume of infocus users here. I will say my 3 year old x1 started developing colorwheel noise and flickering sync issues over a year ago and I accredit this to the poor maintenence I provided and the fact that my ex smoked in the same room...(the color wheel and inside of the projector gets filthy and a film on it this way..the added dust on the colorwheel probably didn't help with the balance. My old x1 though noisey it still going strong in a friends basementon its second bulb because the first blew up from a plugged filter.

The overall longevity of a dlp is just better IMO...stuck pixels are much rarer than lcd dead pixels plus the colors shift over time on an lcd panel as well as possible convergence issues..They still have benifits don't get me wrong...no rainbows for some (although I bet if you displayed one for some here and told them it was a dlp I bet they would see rainbows and complain of eye stress..lol) and the colors can be richer plus lens shift is easier to accomplish in manufacturing. I just don't think they are by any means as long lived as a good dlp. Thats just my biased opinion going by the threads and complaints I've read here and my personal experience with two dlp projectors and 1 very expensive directview lcd monitor with a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen but still throws a great picture.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:

I see you have 20 posts!

Nice, so since I have 20 posts I guess I should just shut up and listen to ya'll more experienced posters right?

Quote:

Nice X2. I realise that there could be some noisy colorwheels. I've been around digital pj long enough to have heard a few. What you seemed to be suggesting though, is that DLP pj's suffer long term durability problems due to the color wheel bearing. Just not true. SOME models may, but if they were properly engineered, it won't be an issue.

Quote:

This is probably mostly true, but I would hazard a guess that the steady state temperature of the hard drive bearing can get pretty high as well due to its constant use and higher speeds.

Endurance of a ball bearing is highly dependant on the film thickness of the oils that separate the bearings from their race. Since the bearings and race have already been heat treated, the additional heat from the lamp is of little concern since it is obviously well below the thermal capabilities of the material. The other consideration of course is the fluid selection. One would HOPE that the designers of the light engine would have chosen a viscous fluid that performs well under the conditions it is to operate in, ie high heat.

In my opinion, i'd be more concerned with getting a quality pj from a reputable manufacturer and hope they put some thought into it. I definately wouldn't throw out DLP because of a few (million
) moving parts.

TBoy

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Seconded, PJ's are disposable.

Hell, ,if you buy a budget PJ to begin with, your PJ is more than likely at the "replacement" point when the first BULB finally goes, forget waiting for a catastrophic failure.

Kinda like inkjet printers.....buy inkjet printer for $50 with full ink tanks. Ink runs out. Do you buy a new printer for $50, or do you buy the replacement cartridges for $42.50 :p

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/0

Seconded, PJ's are disposable.

Hell, ,if you buy a budget PJ to begin with, your PJ is more than likely at the "replacement" point when the first BULB finally goes, forget waiting for a catastrophic failure.

Kinda like inkjet printers.....buy inkjet printer for $50 with full ink tanks. Ink runs out. Do you buy a new printer for $50, or do you buy the replacement cartridges for $42.50 :p

this is a good analogy...the technology is simply improving to fast...(IMO not fast enough
)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqmeister /forum/post/0

I once took a Sony VCR to a sony shop for a repair estimate. The base repair price was $159. New Sony VCRs at the time were selling for $120.

I took it home and fixed it myself with a dremel tool. this was probably 8 years ago.

I still have that same vcr in working condition.

Sony repair sucks.

there are lot of things like this, it costs 1.78 cents to mint one penny thats only worth a cent??? and if you took a $100 in pennys and mented them down and turned them in for scrap you would actually make a good amount of money as the coppers worth more than the face value....(then you would go to jail or lose that money in a large fine for defacing legal tender
.....My point is there's a lot of things about our economy that make no sense, this is no different...We live it a throw it away society....Its sad but true..

·
Registered
5,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy555 /forum/post/0

Nice, so since I have 20 posts I guess I should just shut up and listen to ya'll more experienced posters right?

I was refereing to your time around here if you had not heard about color wheel wine. I have run into at least 30 of them in last three years. There is no need for sarcasm. Instead posting a manufacturer who has had good track in all fairness which seems more productive than bashing Sony.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.