AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly upgrading my entire AV system and plan on doing the television last because the longer I wait the more features for less money I can get
I have a Samsung 56" DLP that only does 1080i. Will a Blue-ray player play a Blue-ray disk with full audio and display at 1080i or does it only output 1080p.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller8b /forum/post/14214252


I'm slowly upgrading my entire AV system and plan on doing the television last because the longer I wait the more features for less money I can get
I have a Samsung 56" DLP that only does 1080i. Will a Blue-ray player play a Blue-ray disk with full audio and display at 1080i or does it only output 1080p.

Thanks.

The player should have an option to down res to 1080i.

I know the PS3 does, anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs /forum/post/14214412


Samsung 1500 can output to 1080i.

I understand that the audio on Blue-ray is much better than regular DVD. Do you still get the best audio available when you are using resolution less than 1080p?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller8b /forum/post/14214673


I understand that the audio on Blue-ray is much better than regular DVD. Do you still get the best audio available when you are using resolution less than 1080p?

Yes. If you are sending audio over HDMI then so long as your resolution is 720p or greater you can send high bitrate multichannel audio over hdmi.


Or, if your player decodes all formats and has analog outputs. In that case it doesn't matter what your output resolution is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller8b /forum/post/14214673


I understand that the audio on Blue-ray is much better than regular DVD. Do you still get the best audio available when you are using resolution less than 1080p?

To get the best audio available, you need either 1) a receiver/processor that accepts and processes LPCM via HDMI (and passes the HDMI through to the display untouched) or 2) a BD player with multichannel analog outputs and a receiver/amplifier with multichannel audio inputs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller8b /forum/post/14216325


So you can watch blueray movies from your PS3 as well as play games in 1080i?

Yes. I have a PS3 that I am using for a blu-ray player on a 1080i display.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark /forum/post/14215366


To get the best audio available, you need either 1) a receiver/processor that accepts and processes LPCM via HDMI (and passes the HDMI through to the display untouched) or 2) a BD player with multichannel analog outputs and a receiver/amplifier with multichannel audio inputs.

Sooo....if I have an Onkyo 606 receiver and a Samsung 1500 player; what is the best settings to use?


bitstream or pcm on the player, and what on the receiver?


thanks, I need some help!


(sorry to thread jack!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,197 Posts
There is an Onkyo 606 thread in the Amps forum and BD-P1500 thread hre in this very forum, where I'm sure, if the answers aren't immediately evident, someone can give you a definitive answer.


But I believe you want to bitstream via HDMI with that particular player, and then on the Onkyo go into the Source settings for that particular input and set each codec specifically (eg, TrueHD=TrueHD, rather than "last valid," etc.).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark /forum/post/14218534


There is an Onkyo 606 thread in the Amps forum and BD-P1500 thread hre in this very forum, where I'm sure, if the answers aren't immediately evident, someone can give you a definitive answer.


But I believe you want to bitstream via HDMI with that particular player, and then on the Onkyo go into the Source settings for that particular input and set each codec specifically (eg, TrueHD=TrueHD, rather than "last valid," etc.).

thanks! AND....


HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top