AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a Samsung 37in 1080p HDTV60hz(ln37a550) and using a Samsung bdp1500 blue ray player. I am using the HDMI output and have everything set to 1080p. I am getting a great hd picture, but I am seeing slight grainyness. And not getting that looking through glass picture and depth. Is my setup not capable of producing such a picture due to the TV or Blue ray player. I did notice when at the Electronics store that they were using a 120hz lcd tv and 1500 blue ray player. My gut tells me I am still a few horsepower short a drag car. Am I right?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not quite right. First off depending on what movie you are watching some movies have grain either as part of film or added. A film like X-MEN 3 was filmed in 35MM so you get that film grain. An example where grain was added is 300. As for getting the looking through glass picture that is just the 120hz setting. I do not think that I have seen someone say that the 120hz on their TV makes a movie. With your setup and with some calibration you should get a very good representation of the films original theatrical release. Making a movie artificially enhanced can be very distracting and you can bet that most movie directors would be less than enthusiastic about the fakeness the 120hz introduces to the viewing experience.

Before someone says something I'll say it myself.. It's blu not blue...

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree about the fakeness of 120hz sets. I've seen some 120hz set ups in Future Shop where some feature films had that soap opera video look. Totally distracting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.