AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried using blue tac (or similar adhesive) to secure monitor speakers to stands or furniture? If so, did you find that these products leave any kind of residue on either the speakers or the surface you're securing it to?

I'm thinking of using it on a pair of swan diva 2.1s, which have gloss piano-black end caps, but i'm hesitating b/c I heard reports that some have found the blue tac to leave a permanent stain or residue.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I'm using it on my 2.1's. I haven't noticed any problems, but I haven't really gone looking for any either. :p

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Russ,

Thanks for the reply. How long have you had the blue tac on the speaker, and have you tried removing it yet to see if there's any residue? What kind of stands are your 2.1s sitting on?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I've had it on for about a year, and removed it once, but I didn't look real close to see if it left a stain. Nothing obvious though.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I had my center channel mounted on a 32" Toshiba for about 3 years. Changed TV's a few months ago and the center channel came off easily. The Blu-Tack was still malleable and left no residue on the speaker or TV.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have Blue Tack between my speakers and speaker stands, removed the Tack, put them back, no problem, no residue. Great product

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Blue tac is an old trick that was originally written about in Stereophile years and years ago.

I am certainly dating myself.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've been using generic equivelants to Blue-Tac for several years with no problems. I think the longest I had speakers bonded to stands was about 2 years and they came off without leaving a mark. I can see how it could possibly leave a mark on a varnished natural wood finish, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. I'm using it to stick my Divas to stands. When it's time to remove the speaker from the stand use a hard plastic tool of some sort, jam it into the bond at one corner, and twist. (I use a hard plastic kitchen spatula.) Once one corner is free the others will follow.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
king roland,

There are several makes of "museum putty" - the stuff that museums use to hold articles to shelves w/o damage / residue.

Here in earthquake country, it is quite common to find.

Do an online search on "museum putty"

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.