AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BlueLinx...2-Insulation-Sheathing-Board-717008/202090237

Sound Choice is the best choice for reducing noise in a variety of commercial or residential applications. Whether it's constructing professional buildings, nursing homes, hospitals, hotels, single or multi-family housing. Noise reduction is a growing concern.

• Lightweight
  • Easy to handle, cut and shape
  • Widely available in convenient sizes
  • Ready to apply directly to framing
  • Provides excellent noise attenuation when installed as recommended
Costs the same as drywall.

I'm cheap, can't afford Golden Glue, so I'm going to just hang two drywalls on top of each other. But I was wondering if perhaps I should use one of these as an inner layer, and then stick regular drywall over it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see the first line, light weight. That's exactly what you don't want as one of your layers for sound isolation. You want a heavy board, that's why everything you read says get the 5/8" Fire X, Heavy type Drywall, not the cheap 1/2" light weight kind.
I thought the way it is constructed compensates for the lack of mass, maybe super-sound-wave-canceling-stuff-imbedded-into-it. But just to be safe, I'll go with the proven method of simple double drywall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts