AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was serious thinking about buying a blueray player for christmas , but deceided not to buy after reading the reviews here and else where it seems wether you spend 1500.00 or 150.00 on your blue ray player it seems every other new BlueRay title released you need to go though a rather bothersome firmware upgrade to make your new movie play if at all?
. Is the blueray format so half baked that you can not count simple viewing experance, ie every new disk is a adventure? I'm not tech phobic over the years Ive built 10 different pc's myself, installed wireless networks , hell I even hack my HD tivo with a 1tb harddrive (133 hrs of hd recording) . Is blueray the second coming of laser disk? At this point with blueray players of any price point it seems to be a total unrealible and transitory format. If you buy one is it better to get one with rj45 network jack to make the firmware updates easier? Is there any brand of blue ray player (trying to stay under 250.00 usd) that works with all disks for basic viewing? Honestly I'm confused I'd really like to get a blueray to use the full potential of my hdtv but right now Blueray seems more of a bother than its worth.
Does anyone have recommendation a blueray player that provides a user friend experance or at the current stage of blueray delevopement no such player exisits?
Im not trying to flame here , I really would like to upgrade to blueray, Im tring to get some input and ideas , because I cant afford to buy the next tech dead end like laser disk.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Well, Blu-ray does seem to be the best you can do. However, I have not seen a BD player that does not need a firmware update at some point.

I guess you have to pick your poison.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have a Samsung 1400 (1.0) that has had 2 firmware updates in 14 months. The first was a "why not update" and the second was due to a problem w/ the Mummy loading. Since then, I have played many BDs and SDs with no problem. For the $260 I paid for it, new, i've been pleased. YMMV

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes any BD-Live capable player has an ethernet attachment, ie Panasonic 35, and 55 and the Sony 350, 550 etc. Updates are a breeze on my Panny 55, everything is done automatically within about 10 minutes. You could check the owners threads about either of these players to find more specific info.

·
Registered
27,598 Posts
Get used to it as it is here to stay (or at least for quite a while).

Agreed with the above. But a 2.0 player and connect the ethernet cable and you can forget about it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
This question has been asked time and time again. The capabilities of hi def movies is much more than DVD is capable of and at this time it is still new in the sense that movie companies are still experimenting with what they can do with it and unfortunately any tweaks they may try will require for the HW to deal with those tweaks. I would imagine that most folks on here have a computer and what we have to do with blu ray players is no different than updating the bios, fw etc. on a computer. These players have some similarities with computers. I know that more than a few folks own a PC with some flavor of windows... monthly security updates.. service packs etc... anyone!!! FW updates and the ability to now continuously update your various CE is a great thing in my book. I have an AVR that has issues corrected and features added, I have a 1st gen blu ray player that just got a fw update a few weeks ago and it still chugging along and can handle all the latest movies. Get use to these updates as they are here to stay. If you don't want to update I've heard some of the funai re-badges are very slow in providing fw updates however you may not be able to watch some of your movies...

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Count on a need to update the firmware on a long term basis as the DRM gets cracked, new disks are released with updates to the DRM, and players then need to be updated to play the disks with the revised DRM.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx /forum/post/15429239

Ok I was serious thinking about buying a blueray player for christmas , but deceided not to buy after reading the reviews here and else where it seems wether you spend 1500.00 or 150.00 on your blue ray player it seems every other new BlueRay title released you need to go though a rather bothersome firmware upgrade to make your new movie play if at all?
. Is the blueray format so half baked that you can not count simple viewing experance, ie every new disk is a adventure? I'm not tech phobic over the years Ive built 10 different pc's myself, installed wireless networks , hell I even hack my HD tivo with a 1tb harddrive (133 hrs of hd recording) . Is blueray the second coming of laser disk? At this point with blueray players of any price point it seems to be a total unrealible and transitory format. If you buy one is it better to get one with rj45 network jack to make the firmware updates easier? Is there any brand of blue ray player (trying to stay under 250.00 usd) that works with all disks for basic viewing? Honestly I'm confused I'd really like to get a blueray to use the full potential of my hdtv but right now Blueray seems more of a bother than its worth.
Does anyone have recommendation a blueray player that provides a user friend experance or at the current stage of blueray delevopement no such player exisits?
Im not trying to flame here , I really would like to upgrade to blueray, Im tring to get some input and ideas , because I cant afford to buy the next tech dead end like laser disk.

Updating my PS3 is a simple as having a wireless network and pushing the button to upgrade and letting it do it's thing. Typically less than a 5 minute job while I sit on my computer checking email and this forum and that's typically less than once a month.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The Panasonic DMP-BD35 and BD55 units can be hooked to your home network and download firmware updates automatically via the Internet. I have a BD35 at home, and when new firmware updates appear, it takes maybe 5-10 minutes total to download the update, apply it, and reboot itself - I've not had to burn a disc yet for updating its firmware.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello:

I have a Pioneer BD P95FD Blu Ray player and I thought these comments might prove useful.

I use Netflix and have had trouble getting the movie Hancock to play. I called Netflix and their rep said the problem may be due to the latest Blu Ray discs having copy protection which my player did not decode. He suggested I update the player with the latest firmware revision.

I downloaded the latest revision off the web, installed it and that solved the problem.

If you are having similar problems an update may solve them.

I bought this player a year ago and this is the first problem I have had with it so I'm quite happy.

Richard

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks for the information so far please keep it coming. So it seems there a diffentant advantage to getting a blueray player with a network connection for online firmware updates. It just I come form the old pc school of though that you should aviod bios update (mobo firmware) unless you have a really issue with your pc because the easiest way to brick a pc is with a failed bios update
. But that process has gotten much easier over the years for example with newer Asus mobo that go out online find the lastest bios , download it and do the upgrade automatically (no buring to cd). Also I seem to see a theme here the blueray players from Sony , Panasonic and samsung with network connections seem to have the most painless upgrade paths, although they tend to be more pricee than the generic memorex and funai blue ray players.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i think being "able" to update the FW is a plus...call me crazy

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have had my Panny 35 for about a month and so far no firmware updates nor problems playing the 5 Blu Ray movies I have. I'm sure sooner or later I will have to update my player but oh well life in the HD world! We watched Memoirs of A Geshia last night and was blown away.

Jeff

·
Registered
204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ /forum/post/15432505

You're crazy. Or at least not very good at understanding the issue under discussion. The issue is not whether the capability to update firmware is a plus. It's whether there are any players that do not constantly need updating.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ /forum/post/15432505

No I dont consider it a draw back, but coming from the seemless dvd release world were every disk play effortlessly unless the dvd is defective, I want a blue ray player that gives a simlar experance, the Idea of having to download new risky firmware updates for every new release leaves me cold. On one of blueray player reviews I read that to get wall e, the dark night and 300 to play they had to do x3 different firmware updates. The last firmware upgrade he did he could still play wall e and dark night but lost 300 and most of his older blue ray titles became un playable
. So Im glad to hear about upgrade ablity but want sometime that is not a massive pain in the arse to get every new title to play or have to wait weeks or months for firmware upgrades that may never come. So I guess that why it better to buy your blueray player from the big three (sony, pany and samy) so they will hopefully crank out those security updates.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I couldn't agree more with your position & that is one of the major issues I have b4 I decide to make the jump to BR all the contant upgrade/firmware I wouldn't mind if you had to do it once @ 1st setup after purchase but to do it on a regular basis ...no thanx .I'll wait until everything is settled

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Things will never be settled since someone will try to crack the DRM. It is a cat and mouse game. If you have a version 1.1 player like the Mag. it will probably play most disks without a firmware update at this time.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx /forum/post/15433118

No I dont consider it a draw back, but coming from the seemless dvd release world were every disk play effortlessly unless the dvd is defective, I want a blue ray player that gives a simlar experance,

Apparently you weren't there in the late 90s when there were all sorts of player incompatibilities with titles like "The Matrix," requiring firmware updates that were often much harder to implement than they are on most BD players today.

I don't argue that BD is a mature technology yet. I simply point out the DVD had its early problems, too.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark /forum/post/15433684

Apparently you weren't there in the late 90s when there were all sorts of player incompatibilities with titles like "The Matrix," requiring firmware updates that were often much harder to implement than they are on most BD players today.

I don't argue that BD is a mature technology yet. I simply point out the DVD had its early problems, too.

The Denon (Panasonic) players required firmware updates to play The Matrix, and several other EX/ES DVD titles, but virtually every other manufacturer played the titles wothout a hitch. Denon started the firmware update revolution.
Make sure to send them a thank you card.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.