AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is quite interesting but long. Need your input on whats wrong with a very rude NetFlix.

Got a new BlueRay disc Serious Man from NetFlix. As soon as I put the disc in my Play Station, 11/14/11, I got this very generic small progress bar at the edge of my screen. Stated updating immediately. Did this twice and third time said it was accessing the internet to see if it had the latest version. So something was installed before accessing the internet. This was also nothing like the PlayStation update screen looks. Besides it is a million to one the PlayStation would have a update the same time I put this disc in. I then started to watch the movie but didn't like it and shut it off.

The next morning all I had was voice when I turned the TV on. Oh fine, there goes a Pioneer 60" plasma. Got voice on TV programs and PlayStation disc. OK time to check the Onkyo home theater. Did everything in the book. No good. Went uptown and purchased new HDMI cable. No good. Well there went 12 hours. I then went and talked a buddy out of his flat screen. It powered up with a screen. Not really wanting to give up on the Pioneer I went through their book. Nothing. I then used the controls on my TV not the remote which wasn't working. I got a box in the corner as always saying input 2. Well my input is 5 on the Onkyo. Switched the imput on the Onkyo. Now I got the screen. No surround. Just reset that and got surround. No problem. But now it gets weird. Screen looked very good. Too good, like a led. Edges sharp, colors too perfect and bright, not natural like everything had been Photoshopped. Like watching a cartoon in HD. I got a plasma because it looks natural and easy to watch. This does not look real. Every setting on the Plasma was changed and not to stock. Gray bar, screen saver, aspect ration, everything. It was a mess. Tried to get everthing back but now have grayed out sections. Can not adjust color, brightness,tint ect. My plasma controls had been changed and locked. My Onkyo had to have the output cable moved. The remote didn't work but in now does. Wrong input I guess. Now I do not like somebody without my permission going into my TV's software or changing the imputs on my Onkyo let alone not allowing me to access my controls. The Playstation works great as always.

I called Netflix and was transferred to Chris. Said it wasn't Netflix's fault and to contact Sony. So what about my TV. Contact Pioneer. No it was your disc, not theirs. Reply, it was Playstations update that did it. No I know playstations update screen and it wasn't their's. And Playstation would not update my TV software or my Onkyo. Chris then got very very rude. I asked to speak to his supt. He said no. Find I will call back later and speak to someone else. He stated all call's would come through him and he was blocking my number. Netflix has always been great to deal with. I do not understand this Chris if that's his name. I had to ask him 5 times for his name.

What I think happened is that the Blueray disc upgraded my system to their so called Blueray standards. Is this possible. Are they worried about disc copying and changed things to prevent it? I will be taking the disc to a programmer and see what he finds. With it accessing the internet their will not be any tracks.

I didn't think this was possible but now I know it is. Am I the only one this happened to?

·
Registered
6,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakelever /forum/post/20961472

What I think happened is that the Blueray disc upgraded my system to their so called Blueray standards. Is this possible.

No, it's not possible.

The "updating" was likely the disc accessing BD-Live content and caching it on your player's storage device (some are built-in, some have a connected USB stick.)

No idea what happened with your TV; does it have Internet connectivity so that it may have downloaded and applied its own firmware update? If not, it could just be a coincidental glitch your TV's firmware or some other failure mode of your TV.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Sorry for you troubles, but as others have said, it's not a software issue, but a hardware issue. When you originally posted this topic in the hardware forum, a moderator moved your previous thread on this topic to the PS3 thread, which is where the question belongs. I'm sure someone that also owns a PS3 can help with this matter. You might also visit our TV hardware forums for your make and model's owners thread and repost your situation there. As others have said, I would start with Sony customer service to help with the matter.

Ron

BTW: I just checked the PS3 thread and someone has responded with your request for information

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.