AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,


I recently bought a Samsung LED TV and a blue ray player. I want to build a home theater system around this. I am looking at a Onkyo receiver and a Bose speaker system. I am pretty new to home theater and was looking for expert advice and suggestions for some moderately priced blue ray home theater systems.( not very high end)


I am trying to look for similar threads . Did not find any till now. it will be nice if you could point me also to one.


Thanks

Roy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Stay away from Bose, it's crap in a pretty box with good marketing.


This is the wrong forum, there is a whole area for audio, with forums for receivers, speakers, etc. What kind of system do you want? 2.1? 5.1? 7.1? And how much are you looking to spend?


Here is a thread for budget home theaters.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=809777


Something like an onkyo 607, couple Polk monitor 50's and a sub will get you started. Then you can get a Polk CS1 or CS2 for your center, and some Polk 30s or 40s for your rears, will be fairly inexpensive as far as home theaters go.


If you don't want to spend a lot of money right now, don't buy 5 crappy speakers just to be done with it, buy 2 good ones and a sub and go with 2.1 for now, and you can add the rest of the speakers later. Speakers aren't like computers and need to be replaced every couple years, if you get some nice speakers they should last you for years so get some you are going to be happy with, or else you will be wasting money upgrading them in a year or two cause they sound like crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
I agree with the others stay away from Bose - they are just high end Walmart specials..


If you want some good speaks and dont care about the brand look here:
http://www.thespeakercompany.com/


As you can see they have been reviewed by some reputable magazines..


Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikroy05 /forum/post/17017806


Hi,


I recently bought a Samsung LED TV and a blue ray player. I want to build a home theater system around this. I am looking at a Onkyo receiver and a Bose speaker system. I am pretty new to home theater and was looking for expert advice and suggestions for some moderately priced blue ray home theater systems.( not very high end)


I am trying to look for similar threads . Did not find any till now. it will be nice if you could point me also to one.


Thanks

Roy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,131 Posts
Stop by a couple local (or not so local
) HT shops (NOT BB or other big box stores), tell them your desires and budget, and they should be able to give you suggestions. Their suggestions will probably be along the lines of what you've seen above:


Paradigm, Energy, Klipsch (Reference), etc speakers.

Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, etc AVR.


And you might have better luck in the Speaker or AVR forums.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/17019217


Stop by a couple local (or not so local
) HT shops (NOT BB or other big box stores), tell them your desires and budget, and they should be able to give you suggestions. Their suggestions will probably be along the lines of what you've seen above:


Paradigm, Energy, Klipsch (Reference), etc speakers.

Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, etc AVR.


And you might have better luck in the Speaker or AVR forums.

I'll add Emotiva to that list of amplifiers, recently heard their UPA-7 backed by their UMC-1 through hand built speakers and wow, I had heard the same speakers with a denon(sorry don't know model, but it cost more than the UPA-7 and UMC-1 combined at the time) and the emotiva absolutely blew it away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/17022839


That's not terribly surprising, especially if the custom speakers aren't very efficient.

I'm not sure how efficient they are to be honest, they were designed and built to be bipole, but have been bridged to this day, he's hoping for another upa-7 for christmas so he can really open them up, I hope he doesn't get one, it sounds great, but it sucks sitting 12 feet away from his 42" DLP TV instead of a front projected screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,


Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking of buying the following onkyo receiver :


Onkyo TX-SR706 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver


However have not decided on the speakers, However as JD Huskey pointed out , I will

only two , but good speakers to start off instead of buying 5 crappy ones.


Thanks

Kaushik
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHuskey /forum/post/17017923


Stay away from Bose, it's crap in a pretty box with good marketing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx /forum/post/17018535


I agree with the others stay away from Bose - they are just high end Walmart specials..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphyne /forum/post/17018635


Stay away from bose.

BOSE = Buy Other Stereo Equipment
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top