AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the easiest way to convert a blue/hddvd to dvd?

i have a blueray disk for example that i want to play on a normal dvd player (not every player i have is HD) - how do i reencode it to an mpeg2 video that i can author to a regular dvd that can play in a dvd player?

i know that it will bring down the quality and i know it will take time, and thats fine for this purpose - just wondering how best to do it

if it helps, i already have anydvdhd, eac3to, mkvmerge etc

actually, i already have a an mkv(still in 1080p h264) that i created from the movie - so ideally i would be able to just yank out the streams from that and reencode and remux...

i havent used megui before - is that an option here?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the suggestion, but the first thing i saw when i opened the page was this:

"Our users brought to our attention, that this conversion method will not work for those MKV files containing

- video streams with resolution higher than DVD resolution, like HD-TV captures. This is definitely a problem in DVD Santa, as its resizing filter seems not to be capable for input resolutions higher than DVD, being a very trivial task overall"

my video stream is 1080p, a wee bit higher than standard dvd

i need to be able to reencode down to 480i (if i recall correctly) before i can do any dvd creation

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just stumbled onto something called avi2dvd - is that any good?

i dont really want to install anything until i know its worth it - i have most things working on the pc as i want, and i dont want to screw it up

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in the description in that link it sounds like it is squeezing a blueray (still in HD) down to something that will fit on a dvd, playable in a blueray player. i want to re-encode to mpeg2 so i can have something playable in a normal dvd player

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I use the hauppage HD PVR to do it. Just connect the components out and optical from the BD player to the device and cap to my HDD in reduced size (compressed) with SW included. Then using the SW include to get a SD DVD or to get the reduced size AVCHD compatible (compress version "Hidef lite") file or use tsremux to create a BD AVCHD from the cap that fits on a SL/DL SD DVD blank. Burn using Imgburn. Just rem that capture is done in real time. A 2hr movie will take 2hrs to cap.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

Quote:
Not sure why bigbird999 linked to that guide but that software he meant to recommend is convertxtodvd.

Cuz he is an old fart who wasn't paying attention to what he linked. Yes, convertxto dvd is what I meant. Rip BD to your HDD, run convetxtodvd, "et voila" you have a video DVD ready to burn.

BB

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha thanks, no problem about the link

will the quality be ok with that program?

ill give it a shot and let'r'rip, and check back here if i have a problem

thanks again guys,

g

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone had issues trying to open large HD-DVD evo files in ConvertXtoDVD? I am able to add smaller evo files (deleted scenes, etc) that are a couple hundred MB to the file list, but when I try to add the large files that make up the feature (~10GB) the program hangs. I tried adding the file then just letting it sit overnight to see if it just needed a lot of time to handle the large file, but it was still hung 11 hours later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think my issue might just be a corrupted HD-DVD rip. I just ripped Transformers last night and was able to add both feature.evo files without any trouble, and they were much larger than the one from Italian Job. I'll try ripping Italian Job again tonight and see if there's any difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts