AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...I have a strange my problem with my new PS3 40GB.

I've had this PS3 for a few weeks now, and have been experiencing a very annoying Bluetooth issue. I did some searching around, and it sounds like my problem is different than the "controller cuts out for a few seconds" problem. My problem is that Bluetooth will completely shutdown at random intervals. I'll be playing a game, and the controller will stop working. It doesn't come back, and no amount of button pressing gets it to re-connect until I power cycle the PS3 (plugging it into USB will make it work again, but if I disconnect, it still won't work until the whole PS3 is power cycled)

I thought I might have a bad controller, but I got a Sony Bluetooth PS3 remote today, and after I used it for about 5 minutes, the Bluetooth failed again. Once the remote stopped working, I tried my controller, and it didn't work. Power cycling brought it back, and then it failed 15 minutes later when I tried to pause the movie again.

This problem is incredibly frustrating. I do have Wifi in my apartment, but it's not being actively used while I'm using the PS3 (I connected it with a CAT5 cable). I doubt if interference is causing it, because I had a different PS3 about a month ago (also a 40GB, I had purchased one at Best Buy and ended up returning that one to buy a different one from the Sony online store to take advantage of the $100 credit for opening a Sony credit card and a gift certificate that I had). The old PS3 never had this problem. The new one is also a 40GB, but I noticed this one is slightly different than the old one (this one had a demo disc in the box, the other one didn't, and this one seems quieter)

Does anyone have any suggestions, or am I going to have to try dealing with Sony's tech support? Are they likely to have a fix, or am I going to need a replacement unit?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Replace? Probably something wrong with the antenna.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got off the phone with tech support. They agree that it needs to come in for service (the tech had never heard of this issue before). I also mentioned the weird thing it did earlier this week, when I powered it off, my screen went solid green and the PS3 wouldn't turn off until I flipped the power on the back.

Unfortunately, they don't do advance replacements. They're mailing me a box, I have to send them the PS3 and then wait 2-3 weeks for the replacement.
I asked if they could send the replacement unit first (I'd give a credit card number as security), he said he'd ask his supervisor, but I'm not holding my breath on that...

Too bad I bought it direct from Sony Style, if it had been a store I could have just brought it back for an even exchange and let the store deal with Sony...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts