AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to preface this post by saying that this is the first full range speaker build I have ever done. So far its been all subs so I'm excited to try something different.

That being said the purpose is to provide high quality portable sound. I'm now in college so all my big audio equipment is at home as it wouldn't fit in my dorm room. I plan to use Dayton's new Bluetooth amp the KAB-215 which provides 2x15W at 8 ohms. The unique thing about this amp is that it has Bluetooth integrated and is compatible with accessories such as lithium battery packs. The speakers I plan to run are the Dayton PS95-8 which are 3.5in full range drivers. My plan is to run two of these in a vented 12L box tuned to 66Hz. The two ports I modeled these with are 1 inch in diameter and about 1.5 inches long. I attached a chart produced by WinISD. I am pretty impressed with the modeling results I was able to get.

The point of this is to ask your opinion of this setup. This is just what I could come up with that takes very little space.

Thanks everyone,
Matthew S

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
I want to preface this post by saying that this is the first full range speaker build I have ever done. So far its been all subs so I'm excited to try something different.

That being said the purpose is to provide high quality portable sound. I'm now in college so all my big audio equipment is at home as it wouldn't fit in my dorm room. I plan to use Dayton's new Bluetooth amp the KAB-215 which provides 2x15W at 8 ohms. The unique thing about this amp is that it has Bluetooth integrated and is compatible with accessories such as lithium battery packs. The speakers I plan to run are the Dayton PS95-8 which are 3.5in full range drivers. My plan is to run two of these in a vented 12L box tuned to 66Hz. The two ports I modeled these with are 1 inch in diameter and about 1.5 inches long. I attached a chart produced by WinISD. I am pretty impressed with the modeling results I was able to get.

The point of this is to ask your opinion of this setup. This is just what I could come up with that takes very little space.

Thanks everyone,
Matthew S
What does WinISD show for excursion at that wattage at and above the tuning frequency? Any form of high-pass filter to keep the drivers from being pushed too hard below tuning? With only a few mm of excursion, you'll want to keep an eye on that.

If those are all happy, it looks like a neat project. If excursion is in check at 15W, maybe see what happens at 30W, that 2x30W board could be a good match while not being any less efficient at lower volumes. It only gets you another 3dB, which isn't that significant, but as long as it doesn't push the drivers too hard it would help get all you can from them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts