391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hi Raddle,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddle /forum/post/20881976

If I stream audio from a music player to my AVR via Bluetooth, what is the format of the signal?

The Bluetooth A2DP audio profile supports any number of codecs, but the only required one is SBC (sub-band codec), which is pretty lossy. So the format would depend on what codecs both ends have in common, but it is typically SBC.
Quote:
Is it the same signal as from a CD player?

No, a CD player needs a bit-rate of 1.4 megabit-per-second for stereo, and A2DP allows for a maximum of 512 kilobits-per-second for stereo.
Quote:
If I stream a lossless audio file from a portable media player via bluetooth, will it sound the same as playing from a CD player?

No, any codec used by bluetooth would need to be lossy in order to fit in the available bandwidth.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much. I learned quite a bit from Wikipedia. My user manual doesn't have much information on the Bluetooth other than it supports AVRCP profiles so it is hard to tell what CODECs it supports. Your comment that Bluetooth supports a maximum of 512 kbps tells me enough, though. It can't replace a media player with lossless music files hard-wired to my AVR if I want CD-quality music. Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.