AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting together pics of before 14x14 room in basement that is now gutted to studs or foundation walls. Rough dimensions at this timd are 14.5 X 22.5X 8.3. i keep creeping on wifes extra bedroom She thinks we need in basement. She is giving up more now that she invisions hwr singing group rehearsing in there so the IB room and more s:Dpace is making more since to her.....selling the SIZZLE!!!!
. Doing entire 1500 sf bazement so working on other areas will give me break while making decsions or research....or when just outta funds to work on labor projects. My budget will be till funds are low, then rest and do little stuff. Ok, so wehave Finished gutting of media room. 1.5 xps foam board up on poured 8 inch poured concrete wall_ considering new load bearing wall for other long wall to add space and fix some structural issues. Also big expense and working on rooms to get ready for is moving hvac from attic(why it was put there is dumb) and moving to basement with ductwork for upstairs and seperate zone ducts for basement. Hopefully none of ir will have to go thru media room ans After lurking on avs couple months and other sites i have decided to do room in room build with decoupled ceiling sitting on walls of room in room. Might as well do it rigt as sound proof is something u dont want to go back and fix later...thanks to folks on this site who have taught me a lot. And inspired me ongoing way overboad to make this room awesome and making the dream much more rhan what it was initially after seeing what folks have done. By the way we are doing it all dyi. Might be? We hire help with but minimal if any.

T

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Sounds good with the sizzle. Do you have a layout?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad drawing on paper. got get out of head and on paper so u guys can scrutinize. As it almost time to get initial materials from my hero....TED to move forward. Looked @ UR homestead site and initial build will be similar. Going to sit down with wife and take time to pull pics and do drawings to post asap.i so cant wait to get buckets of GG to play in. It may be orgasmic.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j baldwin  /t/1415166/bluff-rock-cinema-buildnow-under-way#post_22124276

.i so cant wait to get buckets of GG to play in. It may be orgasmic.

I tried once and it's not...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Xps foam going up on 8 inch poured concreste wall for insulate and vapor barrier. HT chairs covered. Sit in those when I take a break. Will be room in room build. No mechanical in this new HT room and hope new Hvac trunks wont be in here either if we can work the design right? More catch up pics to current status on way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the supporting concrete wall (white) sticking out 3 ft into room has been a problem child in plan. So think im changing from stage back 6 feet behind it and will be flipped to put back row HT recliners back there and screen wall in open part of room...seems to make more sense? Cant do any thing with this concrete wall so may put equipment room by it. Still pondering as I prep room to rebuild.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Finally got a computer fixed to load design program and not lock up. So here is rough draft of tenative floor plan for HT and other rooms. Been busy working on other rooms in basement while researched speakers, avr or components and jacked around with HVAC plan that has held me up. Every contractor who actually followed up with visit which three must be be too busy to look at a job have given me different info. Question for basement right now while ceiling opened up is two supplies (one for basement and one for upstairs) or im now leaning towards multiple zones for basements off one main supply as it wont need much except for home theater. So the process continues. Im trying to keep main supply ducts out of HT and dont see why I can't make this happen and still do it with good hvac practices. If I can find Hvac guy in scuba club may give em unlimited weekend pass and good pay to just assist me in doing job and saving enough to pay for some nice speakers or electronics. need to go down and update some pics as HT is now cleared out, gutted and using as "workshop" for basement renow. Has worked out good for this but looking forward to getting room in room walls up and ceiling joists up soon. Wife see(hearing) vision of great accoustics and music from high end equipment and backing off on "must have" extra bedroom that is cutting into my needs which is room on right end of ht floor plan. She found out i was taking room from this bedroom but now is on board for making sure HT gets what it needs.....Yeaaaa. Some concern for concrete support wall sticking out into room but my three theater recliners fit nicely into that area and shoud be doable .(i guess). hope to keep up with thread now and the punch list of remodel so we all see results. And maybe now i can get to the specifics of the room in room construction very soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rock pic is where came up with with bluff rock cinema......right in front of house 80 ' long and 14-15 high, makes great motorcycle parking...lot rock and bluffs and kool mountain/forest stuff around the property. been diving last couple weekends so process has slowed down after picking up and this weekend knee is out so that was good excuse to finally sit down get floor plan on paper, do some pics and recope cause i got to get on this. Looking at electronics and speakers has really got me inpired. May need some of equipment now to listen to music while working......guess for now build some enclosures rig up the old cervin vega 4 ways that found stored and use old receiver set up in basement to pretend like have a HT...LOL Lets see if I can download some new pics off the phone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
]

My 500.00 set of 3 theater chairs...motorized. sitting in den and get to sit and dream in them. the double doors looking past fireplace is future entrance to media theater. Probably be single door entrance...back to back doors. Will be building new support wall on this side in den so don't loose space in HT and then cut top of this current support wall for new decoupled inner wall since plenty of room in den to "steal some space". The pic of custom install wiring hanging down has a certain rustic look. This view of xps foam and wiring will be the new double stud wall where screen/stage will be ONE DAY!!! I can see it ...taste it. Or is that just saw and sheetrock dust i taste. Guess need pics of rest of construction to justify why this aint' done yet!!! Guess need stop looking at speakers and A V equipment and get some work done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Back of theater since turning in around as this side didn't look like it would work for stage and screen due to concrete support wall sticking out 3.3 ft. so ht chairs going back where the couch is now and the couch is photon which is very comfy and will be front row for time being so we could actually use HT for guests to crash when have big scuba diving weekends when large numbers of folks come over to Beaver lake to dive and we have big parties or small gatherings. Im selling scuba gang, family and friends on pre build time shares to the HT room for sleep overs. Those HT recliners sure sleep well. For what this all is going to set me back...I NEED to sell timeshares!!! We'll see how this plan works for me. I may just use sound proof room to hide in myself when grandkids come to visit. corner left behind concrete wall is where im thinking of putting equipment. This shown as closet, A/V room on floor plan. Ive revised initial drafts so much as I go and research....who knows. This room would sure make a nice 2nd workshop since my shop is little ways from house and basement would be so handy. And much cheaper that HT room.. NO no focus.....money doesn't matter. The HT matters.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Looks like you've got quite a bit of space down there to finish. What kind of square footage are you finishing?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1455 sf. Total. Bazemenr spent 3yrs on top floor but basement is going to be faster as we r ready to enjoy play and not remodel...u probably know what i mean

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well no progress in few weeks except for ordering some equipment to inspire. Waiting on delivery of onkyo tx nr. 1009 9.2 channel and emp tek impressions towers. Center. Surrounds and two subs. Least now i can rock while i rock. The emp, s are their top line and if i dont like rhis stuff for theater ill have nice upgrade for livng room.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts