AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email to sign up for the Blur beta that's being released next week. Figured I'd pass on the link for anyone interested.

http://fileplanet.com/promotions/blur/

All you need is a Live Gold account. There's a few steps to go through for setting up an account on the site, but it didn't take more then 5 minutes. They'll email a code to be entered into the 360 next week.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks... interested to see if the controls + powerups feel natural or not

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Yeah, I signed up for this yesterday. Now that I know Test Drive Unlimited 2 is coming though, I suddenly don't care about Blur in the slightest.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Signed up yesterday, looks like a fun game...

Jason

·
Registered
51 Posts
There was one game *ONE GAME* (This was pre-Uncharted time) that I trully missed after trading in my Ps3 for a XBOX.

That was Wipeout.

I had played Wipeout on the Ps2, and the new Wipeout on PS3 was fantastic. However there were a bunch of XBOX exclusives that I wanted, and I also had a terrible TERRIBLE time setting up video and audio streaming to my Ps3. So i got an XBOX that connected to the same router and pc flawlessley, and never had disconnection issues again.

But dont think im a fanboy. The PS3 is a great system as well. And I missed my pulse pounding races, firing missles at people, hitting boost stripts, and all sorts of stuff.

Now... I can get most of that back with BLUR.

I am a happy, HAPPY camper!

Dharman.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
I've got 2 codes coming.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
The control is so-so at best, needs some tweaking.

Jason

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Umm I don't think Mario Kart is what the devs had in mind for this one and on that note Mario Kart controls better

Jason

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Really? Because this game is exactly Mario Kart. Hell, they even have bananas that you drop in the road for guys to slip on. Add that to the minor short cuts, the three green shells that you get to shoot, the homing red shell, and the speed boosting mushroom and you have a remarkably close Mario Kart clone for the 360.

If you don't think this is a Mario Kart clone, then you couldn't possibly have even played the game. Maybe you were playing Pure, or Burnout Paradise, or something and just thought it was Blur.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Gave it a whirl, did 8 races. Won 3 of 'em (should have been 4 but the game flipped out and moved me from 1st to 2nd with like 2 feet to go even though there was no-one near me...), placed in the top 3 five times of the eight.

The game is kind of fun but I hope they plan on making this an arcade game as it's nowhere near anything I'd pay retail price for...like maybe $15 or so. It almost feels like a game that you should play on an iPhone. As for comparing it to Mario Kart, it doesn't feel nearly as complete as Mario Kart, it almost feels thrown together. There is zero skill involved for winning (I don't care what you say for "proper power-up usage"), honestly it's all about getting a lead early while everyone behind you beats the snot out of each other. Two of the races I won on was the same locale (some sort of desert area) and both races I won with more than 15 seconds (the last one closer to 25 seconds) between me and 2nd place...

I'll play it a bit more but thus far it feels like a disorganized mix of Mario Kart and Outrun...but not nearly as fun as either...

·
Registered
16,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/18276336

Really? Because this game is exactly Mario Kart. Hell, they even have bananas that you drop in the road for guys to slip on. Add that to the minor short cuts, the three green shells that you get to shoot, the homing red shell, and the speed boosting mushroom and you have a remarkably close Mario Kart clone for the 360.

If you don't think this is a Mario Kart clone, then you couldn't possibly have even played the game. Maybe you were playing Pure, or Burnout Paradise, or something and just thought it was Blur.

Obviously there are similarities between Blur and Mario Kart but again I don't think that is what the devs are going for, there's already Madagascar Kartz and Sonic & Sega Allstars racing to fill the Mario Kart 'clone' realm. I think the devs are far more ambitious than a simple MK clone and it seems like they are going for more of a Burnout/Full Auto feel. Whatever they are doing the control needs to be improved in my opinion, it's just too loose and sloppy at this point (which is not to imply that it needs impeccable precision, it doesn't).

Implying that I have not even played the game and even that I have no idea what I was playing is purely an insult and not needed

Jason

·
Registered
4,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/18279657

Implying that I have not even played the game and even that I have no idea what I was playing is purely an insult and not needed

Dude, you obviously haven't even played the game and I obviously need to insult you by saying that you have no idea.

I don't care whether someone likes the game or not, it just feels weak to me.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 /forum/post/18279746

Dude, you obviously haven't even played the game and I obviously need to insult you by saying that you have no idea.

I don't care whether someone likes the game or not, it just feels weak to me.

LOL

Jason

·
Registered
376 Posts
Played a few, and unlocked some better cars. If the leader gets away early, first place is usually out of the running... need a spiny-shell equivalent that's better than the current leader-targeting powerup.

Had the most fun when the 20-player race was all filled up for a while... easy to go from 3rd to 15th [or vice versa] halfway through the race if you get barraged by everyone else. Like where they're going with the 'customize your bonuses' thing...

The only reason I'd consider getting it day-one is to take advantage of the multiplayer matchmaking... once there aren't a lot of people playing any more, it'll lose its value for sure. Would want to try 4-player splitscreen too.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Anybody else having to wait a long time to actually get into a game, at first it was only a couple minutes but the last few times it was 10 to 15 minutes.

Jason

·
Registered
639 Posts
Giving this a bump since the beta is now open to the public. I played a bit last night and had a lot of fun. If anyone was let down by the Mario Kart-ness of the recent Sega Allstar Racing, I think you'll like this one a lot. Real car models, tons of modes, 20 player online...very slick from what I've seen so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love the game, I think its crazy fun with a 20 player room full. Its like mario kart meets twisted metal+deathrace.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I don't play driving games, was never really grabbed by them. Played the Blur demo for a while with friends over the weekend and had a blast. Really fun for a driving game, from a non-driving game guy.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
It is fun, although it fills an odd niche. I can see why people question if this should be a full game price or an arcade game. I'd buy this if it was a $19.99 game, but for a full price game it just seems like it should less arcade-centric. In an odd twist, if this was released for the Wii and that's the only system I had, I'd buy it for full price.

-JR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts