Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to your community, so my question is probably naive and the answer known since a while by all of you, but let's be ready to be shoot:

I've got an Infocus 4805 projector. If the movie I'm watching, from a DVD, has some white patches (cloud, snow,etc...), it's look like it is blur or no focus, quite ugly actually, like merging with the other surrounding color. It is disturbing and I would like to know how to correct it? It is just a matter of changing the DVD player? Or setting the projector rightly?

Many thanks for your help,

Gilles

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Could it be a rainbow effect that is visible on DLPs?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Do you see "dancing snow" only on black images? It may be noise from your DVD player (normal to a certain extent). When data is converted from digitial to analog and back to digital, the will be some (electrical) noise.

If you were to project just a blank dark screen without the DVD player, do you still see the "noise"? If not, then there is nothing wrong with your 4805.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your first replies. The picture does not need to be dark, in a normal blue sky for example, but with some white clouds, the clouds will look out of focus, with some brighter part in it, like noise as you suggested. If the scenery is made of snows, it is worst.

Gilles

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Sounds like you maybe clipping whites with your contrast set too high. Clouds and snow will begin to appear featureless (out of focus perhaps) due to slightly less than white detail loss as it merges into one solid white.

Incrementally reduce your contrast setting to see if that solves your problem.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Try to narrow down the suspects... is it your DVD player, or the 4805 that is at fault.

Disconnect the DVD player, and see if you see any defects on the image. Look at the "InFocus" startup logo. Also set the "blank" screen to dark, white, then blue (in the settings menu) and examine those images.

Do you also have a HDTV box? If so, connect that and see if you also see the defects.

My guess is that your DVD player is either defective, poor quality, or not properly calibrated.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil69
Thank you for your first replies. The picture does not need to be dark, in a normal blue sky for example, but with some white clouds, the clouds will look out of focus, with some brighter part in it, like noise as you suggested. If the scenery is made of snows, it is worst.

Gilles
What type of connection are you using? DVI? Components? If you can try a different type of connection to see if this changing the result.

If you are using DVI or HDMI from your player, you could verify if the connection is good by sending a totally black image from the DVD player (either via a test disk or by setting the DVD player blank or logo page to black). When sending a black image the result on the screen should be pure black image. If your digital connection is not good or noisy, you will see sparkling on black image.

Finally, you may also have play too much with the projector setup. I suggest that you save your current setting and reset to default manufacturing setting to verify if this is improving the issue.

Benoit

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also have the 4805 and a 106 graywolf screen. when you get a white object it disappears. Very strange. Like if you have a guy in white pants and shirt walk into a white room all you see is his face floating. This works this way on all inputs thru all devices ie:

dvd=s-video

htpc vga=supplied m1-da

directv hd reciver=component

to get it to go away you have to darken so much you cant watch it. so i also will be watching this thread :)

imho it has to be color adjust because of all the hardware listed does it. but what do i know i've only had it a month.

Jester

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using an old JVC DVD player without progressive scan and the S-video output (I know not really optimised, but I've got to work with the budget I had). I'm going to buy a new DVD player, DENON 1910, and use its digital output, thinking it might cure the problem. From the previous reply, it may not. But you gave me a lot of small tests I'm going to do. Pretty nice, I like this technical stuffs. Many thanks.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
First of all, the S-Video input is almost as bad as composite. You need to upgrade to at least a component input, as a minimum. The S-Video input will give you a very "soft" picture.

Secondly, you need to get a calibration DVD, such as AVIA (my recommendation - easier to use) or DVE. You should also be using the "Film" or "Movie" mode (I don't know what the 4805 selections are). It sounds like your running in one of the 4805s brighter modes and that will also give you an overly bright picture, which will wash out the brighter scenes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I must admit, and nobody laughs, I used the option available with the StarWar DVDs to tune your home system (sounds and pictures). May not be the right things to do, and probably over do it. I will try to find a propre calibration DVD.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Quote:
I must admit, and nobody laughs, I used the option available with the StarWar DVDs to tune your home system (sounds and pictures).
The THX Optimizer from those discs is a good basic calibration...nothing to laugh about. :)

Do try component or DVI input, though. I'd recommend an Oppo 971 via DVI over the 1910 (which I owned for a while).

http://oppodigital.com/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.