AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been furiously trying to get caught up on streaming technology as I am in the process of building a new house and will now be watching movies in more than 1 location simultaneously

I currently rip all my DVD's to a server using DVDFab and so I have a bunch of VIDEO_TS folders all with VIDEO_TS.IFO and related vob files.

What I'd like, is to be able to stream all my DVD rips, and be able to insert a commercial bluray or dvd into a bluray drive attached to the streamer and play that as well.

Is there anything out there that can do this? I've read up on the upcoming C200 but can't tell if it will play commercial bluray discs.

Thanks,

Russell

·
Registered
793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpltongue /forum/post/16976492

What I'd like, is to be able to stream all my DVD rips, and be able to insert a commercial bluray or dvd into a bluray drive attached to the streamer and play that as well.

Is there anything out there that can do this? I've read up on the upcoming C200 but can't tell if it will play commercial bluray discs.

Thanks,

Russell

You can't use commercial DVD/BD discs with media players in general due to CSS protection AFAIK...you can, however, share a DVD/BD drive in your comp and use AnyDVD to strip CSS, then access the DVD/BD disc from the media player...tested to work with PCH A110...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow,

That's a bummer. I was hoping that they'd be able to play the commercial discs. I'm trying to simplify the living room and other rooms with a single small box for my media needs rather than a bluray player, pc, etc.

·
Registered
793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpltongue /forum/post/16978982

Wow,

That's a bummer. I was hoping that they'd be able to play the commercial discs. I'm trying to simplify the living room and other rooms with a single small box for my media needs rather than a bluray player, pc, etc.

Well, if this was the case, no one would buy DVD or BD players any more, right?

·
Registered
539 Posts
It has been confirmed that with the add-on of a BD-ROM drive, the C200 can play BOTH commercial discs and backups of DVDs and BDs

·
Registered
187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpltongue /forum/post/16976492

...What I'd like, is to be able to stream all my DVD rips, and be able to insert a commercial bluray or dvd into a bluray drive attached to the streamer and play that as well...

iTAB-36 / iTAB-38 (in N.A. known as Venice, AFAIK) has internal DVD-ROM and plays commercial discs, but only DVD, not BD. I'm not quite sure of network capabilities of theese two, they have some limitations (network protocols)...

And iTAB-38 has HDMI 1.1 only, so there is no HD sound bitstream...

iTAB-36 is built on older SoC, Sigma 8623, and has limitations in bitrate, but with not too much Mb/s and latest firmware quite good handles even 1080p .mkvs, "light" ones of course...

On MPCC you might read reviews of mentioned players.

This is link for firmwares:
http://www.radiogears.co.kr/cmsbbs/?...radiogears_c_1

and specs:
http://www.radiogears.co.kr/cmsbbs/?...radiogears_b_1

And of course there is also HDI DUNE BD-Prime, with BD drive and streaming capabilities...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1102431

edit:

Venice;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=venice

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mytbyte,

Yeah, but that's kind of the point
If bluray players could *successfully* stream content, I'd buy one of them.

movieguy,

I've been keeping a close eye on the C-200. It's a bit pricey but if it plays full retail discs it might be worth it.

wiatrack,

Thanks for the links! The most interesting is the HDI solution. Though I'm a bit confused if the Prime will play commercial BR or not? If so, $400 is again, a bit pricey, but not terribly more than a PCH and separate BR player, and it lets me simplify with a single box. Also no mention on getting cover art, etc. which would be a big downgrade from my current system.

If I have to, I'll build a small htpc to solve my problems. My current htpc is rock solid and performs perfectly 100% of the time for DVD's. My only concern is that bluray seems to be an issue for htpc's specifically around audio, and I don't want that to be an issue.

Russell

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.