AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 5.1 audio setup. If I add a BlueRay player, is it essential that I add back speakers to make it a 7.1 system? Or is it just fine to run BR thru a 5.1 system, or would it be compromising on the sound.

·
Registered
8,985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsall001 /forum/post/14225292

I currently have a 5.1 audio setup. If I add a BlueRay player, is it essential that I add back speakers to make it a 7.1 system? Or is it just fine to run BR thru a 5.1 system, or would it be compromising on the sound.

There are very few discs with 7.1 soundtracks. Most are 5.1.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsall001 /forum/post/14225292

I don't think it's necessarily compromising the sound. It really depends on your room and desire to create a separate side sound stage. My room is 14x19, which is about average. I added a pair of side speakers which help creating more realistic panning, directional effects and added a fuller sound to the front soundstage (when the soundtrack called for it).

You don't just get the benefits of the 7.1 set up specific to 7.1 soundtracks. A really good processor or receiver with DLPIIx can add the proper matrix to any soundtrack to create a 7.1 surround matrixed track. I had an Arcam 700 and now a Integra 9.8 processor, both of which do a great job with DLPIIx matrixing.

Ron

PS: Are you using analog cables or HDMI for audio...this would make a difference in suggesting a processor or receiver

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
If you'd like, I can move this thread to the receivers/amps/processors forum? The question is more appropriate there...cause what you are really asking is about sound processing/speaker set ups vs specific to Blu Ray. Let me know if you want to move the thread?

I would also use the search engine in that forum...since this is a fairly common question (once you take the Blu Ray out of the title).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/14225679

If you'd like, I can move this thread to the receivers/amps/processors forum? The question is more appropriate there...cause what you are really asking is about sound processing/speaker set ups vs specific to Blu Ray. Let me know if you want to move the thread?

I would also use the search engine in that forum...since this is a fairly common question (once you take the Blu Ray out of the title).

If you think it would be more appropriate to move the thread...then by all means do so.

But I think my question was answered. I thought BlueRay was all 7.1 audio, & now I know that very few titles are in 7.1. So for now I'll keep the 5.1 setup until the 7.1 setup becomes the norm.

As far as room size, mine is 13x32x7, & my NAD T773 avr doesn't have HDMI, only 7.1 inputs. When I look for a BR player I know that it must also have the analog outs & also be able to do all the decoding.

The T773 is too good of a sounding avr to think about upgrading just yet. I know it's days are numbered, but not quite yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you have 7.1 analog inputs, then by all means you're good to go. Just need to find a BD player that has 7.1 analog outputs and good speaker/bass management built-in. I'm a bit peeved that majority of BD players only have 5.1 analog outputs.

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts