AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/edit I saw this sticky after the fact.

5. I still don't understand. What if I have an older receiver and only have toslink and/or coax inputs, what is going to happen when I watch a Blu-Ray disc?

A. If you have an older AVR with only toslink or coaxial audio inputs then you would connect the Blu-Ray player to your display via HDMI and simultaneously connect your Blu-Ray player's toslink/optical or coaxial digital output to your Audio Video Receiver. You will get either Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 or 7.1 depending on the disk in question. These are not the uncompressed audio tracks, but are encoded at higher bitrate than is typical for DVD.

What happens with a 5.1 receive if it gets a 7.1 signal via the toslink?

original post

Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum. I did some searching and I think I have some answers, but not all of them.

Here is my dilemma. I had been using an HTPC until last week for bluray movies, no problems. PowerDVD was sending the audio to my 5.1 receiver (Sony STR-DE945) with no issues either. Well, the HTPC took a dump and I'm leaning towards getting a standalone player.

The receiver is great still, and I don't really see a need to upgrade it at this point, unless you convince me otherwise. Basically I'm looking for some player that will work nicely with my receiver in regards to giving me the best audio I can get (DTS or DD 5.1). Aside from getting a more expensive player with 5.1/7.1 analog outputs are there any that perform some kind of downmix to 5.1 via optical output? I had been looking at the Samsung BD-p1500 and I've seen discussions about PCM downmixing but I haven't been able to make sense of it yet. Is this a special feature, or fairly standard across players?

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I believe that every BD player on the market, if hooked up via optical audio, will downmix to either DD or DTS 5.1, so it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
TrueHD is output as DD 5.1 and dts-MA sends the 5.1 DTS core over S/PDIF (optical and coax). It happens automatically to provide backwards compatibility with older equipment. As noted above, the legacy formats are encoded at higher bitrates on BD than on DVD and they sound great.

btw, "downmixing" refers to a reduction in the number of channels (5.1 to stereo, 7.1 to 5.1, and so on). It does not have anything to do with substituting a lossy track for a lossless one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts