AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a PS 3 on Friday. I also have a toshiba HD DVD player. I have to say that bluray is better than I thought it would be. I was originally gonig to get bluray first back in the summer, but the poor reviews led me to get the HD DVD. After CES, I knew I would have to get bluray in order to get the movies I wanted in HD.

I only have two bluray movies, Invincible and Gridiron Gang, but they are on par with most of the HD DVD movies I have. The sound is also very good on the uncompressed tracks. I think that there is not a big difference between the two formats as there was in the summer. I have to say that bluray is no longer inferior to HD DVD in picture or sound.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I'm glad you're enjoying Blu-ray. People who shunned it early and recently got into it are generally surprised by how good it is.

Blu-ray was never inferior to HD DVD in sound. It had uncompressed audio from day one.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoe /forum/post/0

I just got a PS 3 on Friday. I also have a toshiba HD DVD player. I have to say that bluray is better than I thought it would be. I was originally gonig to get bluray first back in the summer, but the poor reviews led me to get the HD DVD. After CES, I knew I would have to get bluray in order to get the movies I wanted in HD.

I only have two bluray movies, Invincible and Gridiron Gang, but they are on par with most of the HD DVD movies I have. The sound is also very good on the uncompressed tracks. I think that there is not a big difference between the two formats as there was in the summer. I have to say that bluray is no longer inferior to HD DVD in picture or sound.

I too bought the PS3 on the weekend. I also have the Tosh A1. I am very pleased with the PS3. Watching 1080p/60 on my HP 65" 1080p DLP set is a treat. Every movie I've watched so far: Kingdom of Heaven, Eight Below, Taladega (yes it is good), and Speed, I've been very impressed with. I have close to 60 HD DVD movies and certainly intend on purchasing more blu ray movies. I would describe the difference between 1080i/60 (on the A1) and 1080p/60 on the PS3 as small but noticeable. The A1 gives a sharp maybe video like image where the PS3 in 1080p/60 gives a smoother and film like look. But both deliver sharpness, detail and saturated colors which blow me away. I am very happy with both and particularly happy with the great quality images I'm seeing with the PS3. The web browser and other features are also great. I also bought the remote as well and it's a nice addition for movie watching.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Quote:

Congratulations and welcome to the real world!
Isn't it liberating to be format neutral? You get to see everything as they truly are not as the fanboys on either forums tell you they are.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I too joined the blu-ray club via a PS3 over the weekend. Have the Toshiba A1, very good player, but I have been real impressed with the PS3(20gb). Talladega Nights...okay movie and PQ, but Crank....WOW!!!!

Picked up the remote as well, I'm now all HD!

Those blu-ray rebate coupons in the PS3 are also a nice touch.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Quote:

Glad that another one realizes where the truth is.

Welcome to the bright side
Congrats!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Blu-Ray /forum/post/0

Glad that another one realizes where the truth is.

Welcome to the bright side
Congrats!

·
Banned
6,469 Posts
Yes. qualitatively both formats are the same. However, some HD DVD titles have better interactivity (if you care). So the question remains, what does BD 50 offer over HD DVD 30 disks? For me, that's an important criteria. Also, looks like HD DVD is manging to put out longer movies with extras on their DL 30 format then compared to BD.

So, while HD DVD seems to be the more efficient technology, the core performance based on what I have seen indicates are pretty much even. The differences are mainly on selection of titles and quality of masters. IMHO.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I just went format neutral last weekend, picked up Crank and Monster House. They both look great and sound awesome. I still like my Tosh A1, but I must say the PS3 spanks it as a player. PQ is the same but the PS3 loads fast and responds much better. Glad I'm format neutral so I can watch anything that comes out in either format.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Went neutral last week and then went hd dvd only when ps3 lasted only 4 days. Picked up a Tosh A2 and realized with the 360 addon I already have the only real difference is the audio and of course $300.

Took the Toshiba back (CC just loves me) and picked up another ps3. No problems, updated the ps3 so I can use the remote.

With the list of movies coming out on BD vs HD-DVD I can't imagine limiting yourself to just one format. This "WAR" mentality has gotten out of hand. If I am not mistaken these are just movies and if they are that important to a person they need to rethink were their priorites are.

Sorry about the rant but it just fascinates me how off the wall people get when they talk about formats.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
My brother went format neutral he bought a Toshiba A2 last week...now it sits next to his shiny PS3...he's amazed how cool HD DVD is...interactivity features missing with BD. He can't beleive what he was missing. Matter of fact now he wished he purchased a stand alone BD player over the PS3.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvance50 /forum/post/0

With the list of movies coming out on BD vs HD-DVD I can't imagine limiting yourself to just one format. This "WAR" mentality has gotten out of hand. If I am not mistaken these are just movies and if they are that important to a person they need to rethink were their priorites are.

Sorry about the rant but it just fascinates me how off the wall people get when they talk about formats.

I can tell you why its there from my point of view from the HD-DVD side. Blu-Ray started out REALLY REALLY REALLY bad. Plus its a Sony format and Sony as a company is annoying.

Had Blu-Ray not launched so badly I think many HD-DVD hardcorps people might be more format neutral, or might even be more on the blu-ray side of things.

I own both formats but I STILL hate sony, and would prefer HD-DVD to win in the end.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvance50 /forum/post/0

Went neutral last week and then went hd dvd only when ps3 lasted only 4 days. Picked up a Tosh A2 and realized with the 360 addon I already have the only real difference is the audio and of course $300.

Took the Toshiba back (CC just loves me) and picked up another ps3. No problems, updated the ps3 so I can use the remote.

Hear, hear!

FORMAT NEUTRALITY!

Welcome to the enlightened side!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Lagosian, I am glad to hear this coming from you of all the people frequenting this forum. Welcome to the enlightened side to you too!

To the OP: congratulations and have lots of fun with your PS3!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauRus /forum/post/0

Lagosian, I am glad to hear this coming from you of all the people frequenting this forum. Welcome to the enlightened side to you too!

To the OP: congratulations and have lots of fun with your PS3!

If you take time to read my posts you would find out that my problem is with mindless biased fanboys not any format. I own and love both and believe that they would both survive. What I am against are single format trolls who prey on open minded posters.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Since this is quickly turning into the official "I'm out of the Blu-ray closet" thread. I have had HD DVD since launch with about 25 titles. I have been pretty happy with it. After CES I knew we were in for a long war, so I decided I would go neutral. I went out this weekend and picked up a 20gb PS3, Crank, Monster House, UE, and a few others.

I was blown away! I was looking at PQ equal or better than HD DVD (Crank). I have the HD-A1, so I'm somewhat use to a long load time. I popped my first BD into the PS3 and in about 5 seconds it was ready to play. Hit play on the remote and I have picture in another 5 or 6 seconds. No stutters, drop outs, lip sync issues, player lockups (King Kong), just pure HD bliss!

I'm on the search now for a good HDMI receiver to take advantage of the LPCM audio from the PS3... Hello Denon 2807!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGOSIAN /forum/post/0

If you take time to read my posts you would find out that my problem is with mindless biased fanboys not any format. I own and love both and believe that they would both survive. What I am against are single format trolls who prey on open minded posters.

That's cool with me as long as you apply the same principle to your posts.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.