AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Even if they had the horsepower to do it, I don't think there is a media player available on any tablet platform that will parse the Bluray ISO file.

Your best bet if you want a tablet is to re-encode to mp4/AAC at a resolution/bitrate that the tablet can handle and can handle natively. Should get decent battery life in this situation too (as long as you don't try and use a player that does software decoding).

or get a netbook.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

"Even if they had the horsepower to do it, I don't think there is a media player available on any tablet platform that will parse the Bluray ISO file."

Actually, I was thinking of a Windows tablet and WMC.

My motivation for this is that I will be implementing tablets in my office (already have an Acer Iconia W500 for one of my staff). For myself, I would like one that I can also bring with me on trips. I don't want to re-rip my ISO collection (don't mind transferring them to a few 1tb portable drives), and I have found no practical way to stream Bluray ISOs. Even if I could, the bandwidth Nazis at Verizon would get me.

hjackson

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"From what I've read iOS 5 will support 1080p so it is possible that iPads may support it when iOS 5 is released."

Unfortunately, just because it will support 1080p, does not mean it will support the BluRay format... and I think it will be a dark day in heaven before Apple supports a non-Apple controlled video format.

hjackson

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Perhaps you're looking for this - but you'll be waiting a bit..."

Yeah, I know about THAT.
We all may be waiting awhile for the W8 tablet, which will undoubtedly be delayed and delayed.

hjackson

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjackson /forum/post/20904575

My motivation for this is that I will be implementing tablets in my office (already have an Acer Iconia W500 for one of my staff). For myself, I would like one that I can also bring with me on trips. I don't want to re-rip my ISO collection (don't mind transferring them to a few 1tb portable drives), and I have found no practical way to stream Bluray ISOs. Even if I could, the bandwidth Nazis at Verizon would get me.

hjackson

I can understand the motivation for office work but fail to understand Full 1080p BD playback on a tablet. Even the highest resolution tablets are 720p at best. And with a 10" screen size or less, DVD quality is more than enough.

In any case, I would suggest one of the upcoming 'Ultrabooks'.

These are similar to the Macbook Air, weigh less than 2 lbs and designed for long battery life.

If you can find one based on a AMD Fusion or Intel HD graphics, you can get 7MC on it and play all the BDs you want.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"I can understand the motivation for office work but fail to understand Full 1080p BD playback on a tablet."

The point isn't that I want 1080p on a tablet. The point is that I have a 3TB and growing BluRay ISO collection at home that I don't want to spend days/weeks encoding into another format to bring on the road.
Drag and drop from one drive folder to the next drive folder is all I want to do.

hjackson

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjackson
Any recommendations for a tablet PC that can handle full BluRay (ISO's or with external BR drive)?

Thanks

hjackson
How about a 13.1" laptop

Sony VPC2190X

$3989.97

Intel® Core i7-2620M processor (2.70GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.40GHz (Reg. price $250.00)

Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit

13.1" LED backlit Full HD display (1920 x 1080)

Power Media Dock with AMD Radeon HD 6650M (1GB ) graphics and Blu-ray Disc player / burner

512GB (256GB x2) solid state drive with RAID 0 (Reg. price $1,100.00)

8GB (4GB x2 fixed onboard) DDR3-SDRAM-1333 (Reg. price $200.00)

Wireless mobile broadband

Internal (4000mAh) + sheet (4400mAh) lithium polymer batteries (Reg. price $150.00)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carbon Black

No Engraving

No Fresh Start

Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter (Click More Info for details.)

Norton Internet Security 2011 (30 Day Trial)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

None

None

Bluetooth® Laser Mouse

VAIO® AC Adapter

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Sycochkn (Pscycho Chicken? LOL) I already have a bluray laptop that is used as a bluray client in the playroom. It is big, and I hate unplugging it from the system to bring it on trips. But I need a touchscreen PC tablet, so I would prefer to get a bluray capable one if I'm going to get one anyway.

hjackson

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys, what about the ASUS Eee Slate EP121-1A010M? Here are the specs:

Intel Core i5-470UM CPU; 4GB of DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM, 1x4GB; 1 slot, 4GB Max; Intel HD Graphics; 64GB Solid State Drive; Win 7 Home Premium (64 bit).

I believe Intel HD Graphics can play Bluray, but am not sure in this configuration

hjackson

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver /forum/post/20926136

Porting MC to Android would be a big job.

Our Gizmo app on Android can now play Blu-Ray from MC running as a server.

Will Gizmo allow you to play video files actually stored on the device or only to stream files stored elsewhere?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.