AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite still being very expensive, I can't resist much longer and will get one of those HD players. My choise of format will probably be bluray, based on that they just have most of the studios and electronics manufactures backing it. With my typical bad luck, that will be the format that's gonna loose the format war

Someone wrote somewhere that the output signals (720p, 1080i) of at least

european HDDVD players did have very large porches, making it difficult to get a reasonable large image within the raster of any typical CRT pj. The sole solution to this would be to get a (expensive) external videoprocessor.

Anyone knows if this is the same for blurayplayers ?

So far I have been happy with 720p customized setting out of my Momitsu V880N, but certainly none of the current or future HD players of any format will have this feature.

Thomas

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Like you, I was using momitsu 880 with 720p.

Recently I bought a PS3 and now I use it for BluRay playback.

I don't need a video processor. I use the component output of the ps3 to my G70 directly.

If your CRT FP accepts component output (not very common) you can just go direct; otherwise,.. Some CRT FP's could use a HDMI or DVI board and if you go that way you may get some other benifits like upconverted DVD and 1080p.

-Brian

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you are going to use pal resolutions then there is usually huge front/back-porches..and with some crt projectors there is not enought range to adjust picture wide enought..I noticed that when i tested satellite-hd channels, but with i-scan hd+ i managet to put 1080i "pass thru"and only used i-scan for making those porches smaller.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian and 1031, thanks for your input.

If you mean 576p when you say PAL-resolution then no, I will not use that. I will probably still play a lot of DVD's on the blurayplayer, but then upconverted to 1080i. Did you get those huge porches only from your hd-sat-receiver, or do I understand you right that ANY device that outputs HD will have huge porches in its output signal ?

thomas

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasW /forum/post/0

Brian and 1031, thanks for your input.

If you mean 576p when you say PAL-resolution then no, I will not use that. I will probably still play a lot of DVD's on the blurayplayer, but then upconverted to 1080i. Did you get those huge porches only from your hd-sat-receiver, or do I understand you right that ANY device that outputs HD will have huge porches in its output signal ?

thomas

I meant "Pal hd" like sat hd channels.. i tested with canaldigital hd-channels like discovery hd. etc.. those are [email protected] and have those "massive" porches. Usually those 50hz hd-sources have huge porches.. I havent yet tested any hd-player

·
Registered
345 Posts
You can sometimes compensate for porch settings by adjusting retrace time. Not all PJs allow it, but if it is going to cost you a scaler then you might as well look into it. Digital signals do not natively have any porch so if you experience any bad porch then it is entirely from the D to A section of the video chain.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Anyone doing Blu-Ray via HTPC and using a custom resolution such as [email protected] to drive their 8" FPTV?

I've an NEC XG1352 and a PS3, 1080i is the best I can do, 1080P results in scan retrace/foldover. We use 960P for HTPC DVD playback via TTek. Was wondering if anyone has been able to do custom scan rates for playback of Blu-Ray or HD-DVDs other than 1080i/1080P.

Regards, John

·
Registered
183 Posts
do you have custom resolutions available . I have a hd-dvd player via lumagen hdp [custom resolutions] running to an xg 1100 and yesterday achieved 1920 x 1080p 47.95 without scan/retrace or other problems. reply if you want settings to try.

ps picture shift/size function on xg is critical to avoid scan/retrace problems

·
Registered
782 Posts
Jeff

Yes, please post your settings, are you using power strip, I'm not familiar with lumagen hdp, is it a software player or a resolution setting tool like power strip?

I'll go do some homework.

Regards, John

·
Registered
183 Posts
John ....A lumagen is a video processor with custom resolutions and ivtc [inverse telecine]

My working settings on my xg1100 with tosh hd player are

vert .............. hor

1115 total 2203

1080 active lines 1920

5 sync width 136

9 front porch 19

21 back porch 128

refresh 47.95. i found i had to use the projectors picture shift and size adjustments to remove some foldover. this is a work still in progress but i am able to watch [email protected] ok.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwp /forum/post/0

John ....A lumagen is a video processor with custom resolutions and ivtc [inverse telecine]

My working settings on my xg1100 with tosh hd player are

vert .............. hor

1115 total 2203

1080 active lines 1920

5 sync width 136

9 front porch 19

21 back porch 128

refresh 47.95. i found i had to use the projectors picture shift and size adjustments to remove some foldover. this is a work still in progress but i am able to watch [email protected] ok.

Seems like you can lower little that sync width(hor) to give more bandwidht to activevideo..Of course that dependts what projector you are using.My 1272 sony works ok just 40pixels syncwidht..but ok, i´m not using such high resolutinons.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what you guys write, it seems like I'll have to bite the bullet and get a scaler. A Lumagen would probably be very useful, but together with a BD-player the cost will be about $3000 with swedish prices. Whoah...

Thomas

·
Registered
183 Posts
You might want to check but if you're getting this mainly for blu-ray then I was under the impression that HD disk formats for europe were going to be 60hz like our friends across the pond complete with 3:2 pulldown etc.
so you should be OK. HDTV however is going to stick at 50hz because of complications with simulcasting with SD and that will have big ass porches.

If you just want blu-ray for now and can live without sky hd for a while then you should be good but European CRT users are screwed for HDTV without a scaler. It's a conspiracy to make us give up our beloved 15 year old equipment I tells ya

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi,

We have tested our NEW V6 internal DVI/HDMI solution and have a custom firmware for the PS3. The picture is so good you don't need a scaller and its much better than using port 5 with a transcoder.

We have a custom solution that we increase the BW of the back end of your unit and you can drive your HDMI or DVI right to the unit.

We have sold a bunch now and customers are getting rid of their scallers and just doing DVI direct.

I can ship you 2 core boards for testing and you will see Native 1080p, 720p or 1080i will be the best picture.

We need 2 boards to do the BW upgrade and to add the internal DVI port.

Give me a email if you are interested in a tester board.

GREG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.