AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting on HDV for 1 1/2 years now and have a pretty big libary of HDV footage. I have been thinking about getting into Bluray and HD-DVD authoring but the Sonic Scenarist price tag of $60K for each software is a little steep. Of course Sony has a bargin on Blu-print for only $50K.

Seriously, where does that leave us in the trenches, trying to make a living? Is Roxio DVDitProHD or Ulead Movie Factory 5, good enough for a consumer client? But is it really professional enough for a corporate client? What else is out there for us????

·
Registered
558 Posts
The new version of Nero supports Blu-Ray. I got the demo of it from the Blu-Ray booth at CES. I don't know as far as what options it has or doesn't have but they guys said it is fully blu-ray compatible.

·
Registered
558 Posts
too shay salesman... just noticed that

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Jvcjbl,

Right now is a good time to start thinking about Next Generation authoring because in the next 6 months new product developments will be announced that will be far less expensive then the current offerings and will be complete solutions in which you can encode, add the interactive layer, run in a player form (not simulator), test, and then transfer to a duplication house. So right now it is a good time to learn about the interactive layers what they can do for you, for you clients. If this is something you are interested in please visit the DVD One Website for more information you will also find a complete list of hardware, encoders, and software for next generation dvd development on the webiste under the Blog link.

Good Luck!

Denny

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Here's a stopgap measure that works as long as you don't need fancy menus.

1. Get a sony BWU-100A (or a panasonic BD burner). Other BD burners can work, but I only have the panasonic and sony burners. They come with the cyberlink software. ebay has a BIN for a good price on the BWU-100A, just search for it. Buy BD-RE disk(s) as you can erase them. Use BD-R only after you are completely satisfied on BD-RE.

2. The cyberlink sw doesn't, work, you still need to install it though.

3. Get the free upgrade for PowerDVD 6.6 for BD. You will need this for playback.

4. Buy PowerProducer 4.0 upgrade from the 3.x that ships with drive. This should be $40.

5. Go to cyberlink website and install the patch from january '07. PS3 playback does not work without patch. Samsung playback does.

6. Use VideoRedoPlus to split the HDV files you will have to physically split the files as separate titles if you want to use the Next-Chp navigation. You can try other programs. If you are dealing with streams other than HDV, you often have to clean up the timestamp and audio synch errors that are common on those files first.

7. Run PowerProducer. Insert the mpg files in the order you want them to appear. Make sure you don't go too much above 24000MB. Edit the playlist to insert chapter points (current FW on PS3 and samsung ignored this, but PC playback works with them). Save playlist setting. Save the project. Press burn. One to two hours later, your disk will pop out.

8. Insert disk in samsung or ps3 player and assuming you're experienced with the HDV camcorder, you can now watch better PQ than quite a few HD/BD titles.

---

The above also works on the following type of mpeg2 files :

1. [email protected]

2. 1920x1080i60

3. 1920x1080p25

4. 1920x1080p24

5. 1440x1080i60 (HDV 25Mbps)

6. 1440x1080i60 (bitrate reduced to 10-15Mbps).

·
Registered
524 Posts
Great post Neo165. Its really helpfull to have it boiled down like that.

I've got a number of broadcasts recorded to DVHS that I would like to transfer to Blu-Ray. The MPEG2-TS files are on my computer. Have you had any experience burning mpeg2-ts to blu-ray?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc10forlife /forum/post/0

Great post Neo165. Its really helpfull to have it boiled down like that.

I've got a number of broadcasts recorded to DVHS that I would like to transfer to Blu-Ray. The MPEG2-TS files are on my computer. Have you had any experience burning mpeg2-ts to blu-ray?

I've worked with some test ts streams before. I use VideoRedoPlus to clean them up and convert them to mpg first. There was a set of 6 4Gb files with errors near the end that became 22GB. That composition barely made it onto a single BD-RE. If there is space left, I usually add some pictures to get a slideshow at the end of the movie. I believe that one composition was [email protected]

The final MTS files are more TS like than mpg, but I'm working in mpg and don't want to deviate too much as the sw is still quite buggy.

The conversion from TS->MPG leaves the elementary streams alone, it just reformats the system layer and muxes the av differently, so does not degrade the video.

---

One thing to note is that PowerProducer will add it's own formating overhead, it tells you how much space it will use, so you can't just add the size of the TS files and get to 24GB (leave some margin).

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_netblender /forum/post/0

Hi Jvcjbl,

Right now is a good time to start thinking about Next Generation authoring because in the next 6 months new product developments will be announced that will be far less expensive then the current offerings and will be complete solutions in which you can encode, add the interactive layer, run in a player form (not simulator), test, and then transfer to a duplication house. So right now it is a good time to learn about the interactive layers what they can do for you, for you clients. If this is something you are interested in please visit the DVD One Website for more information you will also find a complete list of hardware, encoders, and software for next generation dvd development on the webiste under the Blog link.

Good Luck!

Denny

Most of us our probably not gonna send stuff out to a duplication house, so we'll have to look at creating BD-R/RE disk for our stuff. As of right now there are many issues with \\BDMV on BD-R/RE because of the it's late addition to the BD specs and it being optional! Some players (PS3, Sammy (newer firmware) choke on this, so until we nag/complain loud enough will have to use \\BDAV

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to both Neo 1965 and Denny. Great info. Denny, yours is a very good point. But I am having trouble finding the DVD One website can you list the link?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hey Alvegasguy,

At CES I saw a couple of demos of consumer BD authoring software packages. I did not get pricing, however they were from companies that sell consumer software. I have both Scenarist and Blu-print (I work for Pioneer Electronics) and both require quite a bit of training to be used.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvegasguy /forum/post/0

I have been shooting on HDV for 1 1/2 years now and have a pretty big libary of HDV footage. I have been thinking about getting into Bluray and HD-DVD authoring but the Sonic Scenarist price tag of $60K for each software is a little steep. Of course Sony has a bargin on Blu-print for only $50K.

Seriously, where does that leave us in the trenches, trying to make a living? Is Roxio DVDitProHD or Ulead Movie Factory 5, good enough for a consumer client? But is it really professional enough for a corporate client? What else is out there for us????

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo /forum/post/0

Hey Alvegasguy,

At CES I saw a couple of demos of consumer BD authoring software packages. I did not get pricing, however they were from companies that sell consumer software. I have both Scenarist and Blu-print (I work for Pioneer Electronics) and both require quite a bit of training to be used.

Chris

So far we have:

DVDit Pro HD - creates \\BDMV some players do not support \\BDMV on BD-R/RE

MovieFactory5+ - \\BDAV (don't have)

PowerProducer - \\BDAV (can't get chapter points to work don't know if it's the PS3 or PowerProducer)

·
Registered
229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plee /forum/post/0

So far we have:

DVDit Pro HD - creates \\BDMV some players do not support \\BDMV on BD-R/RE

MovieFactory5+ - \\BDAV (don't have)

PowerProducer - \\BDAV (can't get chapter points to work don't know if it's the PS3 or PowerProducer)

Chapter points are working perfectly for me on PowerProducer w/ PS3. Do you have the latest patch file installed?

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek /forum/post/0

Chapter points are working perfectly for me on PowerProducer w/ PS3. Do you have the latest patch file installed?

Yep...but I am using the version that came with the blu-ray drive which is 3.7 so I don't know if version 4.0 corrects this problem. Do you have version 4.0? If so, I might have to just upgrade...

·
Registered
229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plee /forum/post/0

Yep...but I am using the version that came with the blu-ray drive which is 3.7 so I don't know if version 4.0 corrects this problem. Do you have version 4.0? If so, I might have to just upgrade...

Yes, I have version 4. But Version -4 has problems of its own. See my post about the BD Calibration Disc. In a nutshell, the program crashes when I tried to stick 38 files on a disc; 36 works fine; but 38 crashes.

You forgot to mention Roxio for BDAV creation also. They do have it, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with the PS3. I tried it last night, and the PS3 wouldn't play any of its files.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:

Yes, I have version 4. But Version -4 has problems of its own. See my post about the BD Calibration Disc. In a nutshell, the program crashes when I tried to stick 38 files on a disc; 36 works fine; but 38 crashes.

You forgot to mention Roxio for BDAV creation also. They do have it, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with the PS3. I tried it last night, and the PS3 wouldn't play any of its files.

Seems pretty sad at this point, each of the programs has a gotcha and probably if we take on the working stuff, it would be one heck of a program

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If you have a PS3, it will play your HDV footage in its native format (.m2t), and it looks wonderful. Best of all, you can play them straight off of a DVD. That does limit the length though.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:

I went ahead and upgraded to 4, created a small test clip and burned a BD-RE and it worked on the PS3!
I wish their support would have just said this, instead of saying "re-install" the software.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvegasguy /forum/post/0

Maybe this message in another forum helps you...:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=38

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Just an update from my earlier post. As of FW 1.51 (and a subsequent cyberlink patch Jan25th '07), both my PS3s now recognize the chapter points. The playlist containing titles and chapter points within each title also works, which means you can do seamless title branching that is playlist based.

PowerProducer 4 produces BDAV which does not work on panasonic players though. BDAV works only on MPEG2, so as soon as the authoring tools improve, I'd expect BDMV is what people eventually use for their HDV/HDVAC disks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts