AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting in a BLURAY player/burner in Htpc and am wondering if the quality of these varies a lot? If I buy a cheap one will it have the same quality video and audio as a more expensive one? Do most support hd audio: dts hd, tru hd? What's a good brand and what should I look for?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
No, yes and irrelevant.

I usually go by the cheapest.

Today Newegg has a $30 BD-ROM drive (there's a post here today about it).

It is slow (2X) but that is enough speed for playback.

Ripping discs with a slower drive simply results in longer rip times (which personally is not that big of a deal for me).

The drive doesn't matter, the data is all digital. Its what happens to the data after its read which makes the difference, i.e. the electronics and the processing.

For a PC that means your OS, video card, software, drivers, filters, codecs etc.

Bottom line the drive doesn't affect the audio and video.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I'd like to agree with this but doesn't error-correction and re-read have to be factored into the drive's speed? Wouldn't a bad sector be better re-read by a faster (8x) drive than a slower one? This would only be noticed if the disc has an issue and how many times it has to be re-read to attain the correct data... other than that I agree with the reply!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts