AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I feel like I got screwed over three times now. Equilibrium, my second favorite movie of all time just behind Terminator 2, was first only available on HD-DVD. I got on bluray only after the format war was over, so this was dissapointing. But I was patient and I waited for a Bluray release. Finally, I hear news of its arival, only guess what, it's UK only. Fine, it's worth it to me, so I'll pay the international shipping. But then... I find out its OPEN MATTE! UGH.

I haven't purchased it yet. And I was starting to be tempted to find an hd-dvd torrent, but I hate pirating. Then I had a thought: Using VLC on some older DVD's and some video files I have, I can set it to crop the video however I want.

So, is there any way I can crop Equilibrium Bluray to its proper 2:35 aspect ratio while playing it?

·
Registered
211 Posts
what do you mean by open matte? do you mean that it is letterboxed? or that it is pan and scan?

If it is letterboxed but some of the picture is cropped, changing the aspect will only distort the picture since the pictue is already cropped off.

It would be like playing a letterboxed dvd on a 4:3 tv and stretching the height to fill the screen, except to get a 2.35:1 picture form a cropped 1.78:1 image you would mash down the image making everything too wide.

Besides the disc is a PAL format and different region, would it even be worth it to buy a sub-par quality transfer and have not only less picture but also the wrong colors, or not even be able to play it?

I'd say email the studio asking fo a re-release on blu-ray. If the demand is there they will make a new transfer just like how Blade Runner was butchered on the inital DVD release (which I have,) and now its on blu-ray with proper formatting and all.

good luck, I'd been meaning to see this movie after I saw a clip of the "gun-kata" online and hope it makes it over to blu-ray because I'm not gouing toever buy another dvd now that the standard is finalized.

·
Registered
94 Posts
1st if you don't know what open matte means then your probably better off not guessing
:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_matte

The picture has been "opened up" so there is actually more picture at the top and the bottom in the uk release. However it's not OAR, hence why he's annoyed.

2nd there's no such thing as PAL when it comes to Blu-Ray/HD-DVD's, it's all the same resolution/color timings.

As to whether or not it's possible to crop it down to 2.35:1, sure. However there's no way to guarantee it'll look exactly the way it's supposed to from frame to frame afaik.

·
Registered
765 Posts
For the cost of importing a dics you won't like, you could get an xbox drive and the HD-DVD version, copy it to the hard drive, and do with it as you will, even convert to Blu-ray to play on your standalone. Plus you gain access to many great movies that are either better on HD-DVD (let alone cheaper), or not available on BD in the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
490 Posts
what's so bad about open matte? i prefer it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It's bad because it is not OAR meaning that things that the director did not intent to show are shown. This can many times have adverse effects like distracting your attention to parts of the scene that in the cinema version do not exist.

The fact is that the director did not release it like that and it's usually TV channels that play open matte so TV sets get a full frame picture without black bars.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I watched You Can Count On Me in a small theatre and in one of the scenes the boom comes down in the top of the frame and stays there or quite a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts