AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an HTPC that I run XBMC etc. When I built it 4 years ago I put a DVD in it and it works great. Now that BluRay has matured, i want to add a player to my cabinet, thus the question.

I'm leaning towards just getting a separate player and leaving the PC alone (I hate making any windows changes, since something always tries to go haywire).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
AJ

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
Bluray on PC is a royal pain. Don't bother. And this coming from a PC aficionado. I have a BD-ROM that I use for now because I don't have an AVR so the only way I can get multichannel audio is through my USB sound card, not my console, but the second I get one, I won't be touching PowerDVD again. It's the worst piece of garbage POS warez I've ever had the displeasure of having no choice but to use.

I mean, they have options in the menu that literally don't work while playing back Blurays. Like anamorphic stretching. Why add it to the menu if you can't use it? It's freaking annoying that they have a monopoly and get away with it.

The only real reason for PowerDVD ultra UHD versions is so that hackers can reverse engineer it and break the decryption. Beyond that it's complete garbage, any 40 dollar bluray player will work with 100% of discs but on PC you have to keep patching over and over. It's sludge. Don't give them money. You can always rip the Blus onto your PC and play them back using a proper player like MPC-HC that actually works well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!!

Thanks,

That's what my gut was telling me.

Thanks again,
AJ

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi all,

I have an HTPC that I run XBMC etc. When I built it 4 years ago I put a DVD in it and it works great. Now that BluRay has matured, i want to add a player to my cabinet, thus the question.

I'm leaning towards just getting a separate player and leaving the PC alone (I hate making any windows changes, since something always tries to go haywire).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
AJ
Unless you have a keen interest in ripping the BDs & playing them off of a hard drive, definitely go with standalone BD player.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I bought Arcsoft TMT5 years ago. I like making MKV files out of my discs, but it was still great to have it when I wanted to watch a brand new film or dig into special features.

But since buying an Xbox One I'm not sure I've used it at all.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I don't see the point of a stand-alone player next to the PC. Using Kodi and MPC-HC as external player works great (AnyDVD is also required). Loading time is much faster, compared to stand-alone and starting the main moving is straight forward.
Only drawback is playing some of the extras due to the lack of having access to the actual disk menus (but I don't care too much about extras)

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
While I agree with everyone that it is a HORRIBLE experience playing a Blu-Ray disc back in PowerDVD or other programs, I do like ripping them to my server with MakeMKV for later playback. Now obviously this takes up a lot of room on the server so if you dont have it, it may not be an option for you. It budgets to about 10-12 gigs/hour of BD Video. So a 3TB HDD would hold about 170 movies, in full quality.

What I like about this system is that I get a netflix-like interface (via Plex or XBMC) and zero lag between movie playback. I mean, i have a panasonic blu-ray player hooked up to my tv but I loathe to use it. It takes so much time to read the disc, then you have to suffer through the FBI warning, the ads, the trailers, and then 10 minutes later maybe finally you can watch the movie. If you rip it to your server or even just an external HDD and point a media app to it, you get the same quality with none of the hassle of disc playback. Sure the HDD could crash, but HDDs are cheap, and you own the master discs anyway, so its not really as big a deal as it used to be. Idk, i like my method. Now the only reason I use PowerDVD is for 3D BD playback.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you are interested in "flawless", "Reliable" and "Consistent" playback of BDs from your HTPC you will have to invest in a bit of s/w beyond just the BD-ROM drive (and assuming your CPU/Graphic card does HD passthrough). This software investment make this more expensive than a simple stand alone BluRay player but if you are in the habit of playing back your BD movies as MKV or BD-ISOs it is well worth the effort.

As someone has previously noted you need to have AnyDVD HD running in the background even to play a legitimate store bought BD as you will probably get an "HDCP error" without it. AnyDVD HD only takes care of the encryption part you still need a BD software to play it, you can use the freeware MPC-HC with Shark007 Codecs and you will get great DTS-HD MA and TrueHD passthrough about 95% of the time.

MPC-HC works for 95-99% of the media out there and but it only plays the main title straight no extra features/no menu nothing. Sometimes you get a funky BD which trips up MPC-HC (Oblivion/Total Recall/Ender's Game BD are some that I had trouble with...and you will end up not getting correct playback-no audio, director's commentary rather than main audio, incorrect sequencing etc). This calls for the use of another BD software player like TMT6, PDVD or WinDVD which will allow for the use of Menus and special features on the BD.

So you are looking at investing in AnyDVD HD + BD Software Player (as backup) and you will have pretty flawless, reliable BD playback and you get to the extra benefit/features for BDs like archiving them.:)

·
Registered
973 Posts
If you are interested in "flawless", "Reliable" and "Consistent" playback of BDs from your HTPC you will have to invest in a bit of s/w beyond just the BD-ROM drive (and assuming your CPU/Graphic card does HD passthrough). This software investment make this more expensive than a simple stand alone BluRay player but if you are in the habit of playing back your BD movies as MKV or BD-ISOs it is well worth the effort.

As someone has previously noted you need to have AnyDVD HD running in the background even to play a legitimate store bought BD as you will probably get an "HDCP error" without it. AnyDVD HD only takes care of the encryption part you still need a BD software to play it, you can use the freeware MPC-HC with Shark007 Codecs and you will get great DTS-HD MA and TrueHD passthrough about 95% of the time.

MPC-HC works for 95-99% of the media out there and but it only plays the main title straight no extra features/no menu nothing. Sometimes you get a funky BD which trips up MPC-HC (Oblivion/Total Recall/Ender's Game BD are some that I had trouble with...and you will end up not getting correct playback-no audio, director's commentary rather than main audio, incorrect sequencing etc). This calls for the use of another BD software player like TMT6, PDVD or WinDVD which will allow for the use of Menus and special features on the BD.

So you are looking at investing in AnyDVD HD + BD Software Player (as backup) and you will have pretty flawless, reliable BD playback and you get to the extra benefit/features for BDs like archiving them.:)
Would all of this hassle be eliminated (or greatly reduced) if say you wanted to rip a Bluray disk to store on an external 2tb drive, then decide to watch the ripped film later that evening? Or are these issues strictly for people who are using a BD-Rom type thing trying to watch the physical disk?

I am looking forward to ripping my entire movie collection into a 2TB or 4Tb external drive,half of which are Bluray's. It is my understand that for ripping Blurays, DVD's, and CD's all in their native audio codecs and SQ, I would need anyDVDHD which can handle the ripping part of this, as well as the playback part? Or is PowerDVD necessary? I am a little fuzzy on this!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
@tip - depends what you want to rip to - if its main movie only and you want to go the mkv route - the only software you need is makemkv - no need for AnyDVD (unless you want to rip to a full image ISO).

Yes basically the issue revolves around playback of physical discs.

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Also keep in mind that full rips take up about 20x more space than mkvs. A 2TB drive is going to fill up fast with full rips. And you'll be limited by the playback devices you can use, since not many will play full rips.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Also keep in mind that full rips take up about 20x more space than mkvs. A 2TB drive is going to fill up fast with full rips. And you'll be limited by the playback devices you can use, since not many will play full rips.
I think you need to clarify there, MKV itself doesn't necessarily save any space. Between a movie only BDMV structure (Clown_BD) and movie only MKV (MakeMKV) any size difference is negligible.

To get a "20x" space saving you have to massively recompress a BD, which could be placed in an MKV container, but could be put in a mp4 just as easily.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I think you need to clarify there, MKV itself doesn't necessarily save any space. Between a movie only BDMV structure (Clown_BD) and movie only MKV (MakeMKV) any size difference is negligible.

To get a "20x" space saving you have to massively recompress a BD, which could be placed in an MKV container, but could be put in a mp4 just as easily.
takes as much or as little space as you want it. MKV is just the container.

·
Registered
973 Posts

Well I definitely do NOT want to add any compression to my Bluray files! I am fine with just the actual movie(s) itself, no need for the menus, previews, ect, and my absolute highest priority is retaining the original audio and SQ, be it lossless DDTrueHD or DTS-MA or just regular DD or DTS, what ever was on the original disk

I am not familiar with MKV or MakeMKV. I have been looking into anyDVD-HD, I am just not sure if anyDVD-HD is suitable to my needs for ripping BD's DVD's ect..while retaining their original native SQ (lossless is my main concern) and also unsure if I will need anything else for play back.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well I definitely do NOT want to add any compression to my Bluray files! I am fine with just the actual movie(s) itself, no need for the menus, previews, ect, and my absolute highest priority is retaining the original audio and SQ, be it lossless DDTrueHD or DTS-MA or just regular DD or DTS, what ever was on the original disk

I am not familiar with MKV or MakeMKV. I have been looking into anyDVD-HD, I am just not sure if anyDVD-HD is suitable to my needs for ripping BD's DVD's ect..while retaining their original native SQ (lossless is my main concern) and also unsure if I will need anything else for play back.
If you always want to rip the main movie, then makemkv is a convenient tool, keeping the same video audio Quality.
Anydvd just removes the encryption, it doesn't rip on it's own. But it allows playback of the bdmv structure using many players (mpc, kodi, etc.) without ripping. You can also use this for ripping in combination with other tools (e.g. clonebd, mkvtoolnix)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

See post #13

MKV is only a container for the video/audio file - nothing more. There is widespread support for mkv playback. AnyDVD HD is not required if going this route (and makemkv is free). Why not try it instead of continually stating that your not familiar with it - its a fairly simple programmed to get used to - oh and it will rip the file while retaining everything you want (original PQ/SQ in whatever format it is).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts