AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 666 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1




Help keep us keep this chart updated. To access editable version click Here to participate!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Riekopo

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,324 Posts
Link to original thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980672


Thanks to all who offered to help


Sticky


please note the chart has not been updated for several months: this new thread was created so the chart can be updated: it will take some time: please help the OP with any recommendations to update it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Is this still accurate? For example, Shouldn't the Denon DVD-3800 be "complete" processing across the board?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,675 Posts
Got a love that PS3 for the money and what it can do
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7 /forum/post/14323722


Is this still accurate? For example, Shouldn't the Denon DVD-3800 be "complete" processing across the board?

Thread was just moved here. I will update this chart by the end of the weekend.


Anyone else feel free to PM me if you see something inaccurate or missing on this chart
 

·
UHD Addict
Joined
·
37,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaa1954 /forum/post/14323773


Panasonic BD50....availability "Now"


Thanks for taking this on Tony.

MSRP is also $699, not $599.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaa1954 /forum/post/14323773


Panasonic BD50....availability "Now"


Thanks for taking this on Tony.

No problem! I'm trying to avoid recreating the chart but I think I may need to. The OP converted this to an image file which doesn't look like I can easily edit. Anyone have any ideas before I start to recreate this? I plan to have the updated chart up by the end of this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7 /forum/post/14323722


Is this still accurate? For example, Shouldn't the Denon DVD-3800 be "complete" processing across the board?

No, it is correct as shown. As a 3800 owner, I asked the OP to correct since it does NOT do complete decoding (it will bitstream all). The 3800 DOES NOT decode DTS-HD HR or DD+.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,118 Posts
adidino, people from the Panasonic BD50 thread are reporting having to lower their speakers by about 5 dB. The LFE bug wouldn't be so unique if it weren't for the fact that at least one report was for the analog out!


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post14316474
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,406 Posts
OP,


Please update Samsung BD-UP5000 as follows:


DD+ complete

TrueHD complete

DTS-HD HR bitstream

DTS-HD MA bitstream

BD Profile 1.1


via latest firmware 1.3 update.


MSRP is now about $449 but it is now discountinued.

Thanks.


EDIT:Samsung BD-P1500 does not have analog 5.1 output.Only 2.0 stereo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,118 Posts
Tony and Mark, thanks for keeping this thread alive. I know many in AVS know exactly what they want and those who don't can post here for confirmation. There's a lot of misinformation out there and probably none bigger than "the 3800 can decode all; it's expensive enough!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino /forum/post/14323833


No problem! I'm trying to avoid recreating the chart but I think I may need to. The OP converted this to an image file which doesn't look like I can easily edit. Anyone have any ideas before I start to recreate this? I plan to have the updated chart up by the end of this weekend.

The image is a .png file which appears to be an open source file that is supported by a number of photo imaging software programs.

( http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngaped.html )

It cn be opened with ms paint just to change the background colors (the feature in this chart that makes it most appealing). Editing the text, idk...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 /forum/post/14323942


adidino, people from the Panasonic BD50 thread are reporting having to lower the LFE by about 5 dB. The LFE bug wouldn't be so unique if it weren't for the fact that at least one report was for the analog out!


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post14316474

Speculation. It reads more like personal preference. Lowering the sub 5db is the opposite of LFE.


S~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac /forum/post/14323994


Speculation. It reads more like personal preference. Lowering the sub 5db is the opposite of LFE.


S~

Sorry, mistake in my post. The guy had to lower his surrounds, not the LFE. Please click the link I provided and read the original post. Make no mistake, it is the LFE bug since he has no opportunity to change it once it gets to his receiver. I will correct my original post.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,051 Posts
The one who lowered his surrounds has no speaker management on his receiver. The other person you quoted in the 50 thread lowered his sub because he felt it was too loud. Still speculation since noone else that owns this player has reported LFE. SO it needs to be left out of the chart until something definitive is confirmed.


S~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac /forum/post/14324064


The one who lowered his surrounds has no speaker management on his receiver.

I'm ok with further confirmation. Are you saying it's the receiver's job to amplify the LFE channel? Once a soundtrack has been decoded and converted to PCM for final output through the analogs, isn't it the source player's job to level all channels for proper output to the receiver? I always thought LFE boost only applied to the bitstream signal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 /forum/post/14324093


I'm ok with further confirmation. Are you saying it's the receiver's job to amplify the LFE channel? Once a soundtrack has been decoded and converted to PCM for final output through the analogs, isn't it the source player's job to level all channels for proper output to the receiver? I always thought LFE boost only applied to the bitstream signal.

LFE is recorded -10db. If bass is redirected, it is lowered another 5db. That's how it's sent to the AVR, which needs to boost it back up +10db or +15db right before amplification to get the sub back into balance with the other channels. It doesn't matter where or how the decoding is done. The boost still has to take place and it is best done in the AVR.


There's an excellent explanation here in the Audio theory forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,943 Posts
Tony - the S350 has stereo analog outputs. No 5.1. Also, there's no reference on the chart to the Pioneer 51FD. Per Pioneer, the 51FD and 05FD will not decode DTS-HD HR and DTS-MA at release. Advanced DTS decoding will have to wait for a firmware update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino /forum/post/14323833


No problem! I'm trying to avoid recreating the chart but I think I may need to. The OP converted this to an image file which doesn't look like I can easily edit. Anyone have any ideas before I start to recreate this? I plan to have the updated chart up by the end of this weekend.

I believe the original poster used a spreadsheet program to create the chart, and then converted it to a png somehow.
 
1 - 20 of 666 Posts
Top