AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everyone,

I am the new guy and this is my first post so please be nice

I have a Yamaha RX-Z7 and an OPPO BDP-93 (standard)

Now the OPPO send the signal via HDMI to the receiver so (I guess at least) the Yamaha DAC is in charge.

First question: Is there any benefit to make the OPPO do the "DAC-ing" and send the analog signal via 8 analog cable to the receiver or leave the set as is now?

Second question: If the OPPO as a "DAC-er" the better option would be suggested to make a (budget) DAC upgrade?

I tried to be as clear as I can

Thanks heeps in advance  

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

So you say that any changes on this line would be a lot of money for nothing.

This is a really cost effective advise

Thanks

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxest  /t/1525795/bluray-player-dac-or-av-receiver-dac#post_24567095

I seriously doubt that Oppo's DAC sounds any better or worse than any other modern DAC.

Agreed. Oppo spends more money than many on some of the best DAC chips so their quality is great but the problem is the recordings and the playback environment which prevents that from translating into any kind of audible improvement.

I've looked at the service manuals of dozens of AVRs and checked out the specs of the DAC chips they use, and their quality is also better than is actually required for good sound. High end AVRs are generally built to similar quality standards and parts quality as high end separates. In every case the AVR gives you more for the money because the expense of a separate box for every different function is avoided. With modern technology putting all of the parts in one box causes no sound quality or even measured losses. The production volumes for AVRs are relatively huge - on the order of 10,000 per month as compared to maybe a few hundred for the higher volume separates.

For example both Yamaha and Oppo use ESS Sabre DACs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks Guys

You are amazing!

You saved me a lot of money!!!

My conclusion is: sit back, relax, enjoy the show and don't worry too much about the upgrades.

Thanks again   

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltan 77  /t/1525795/bluray-player-dac-or-av-receiver-dac#post_24574140

Thanks Guys

You are amazing!

You saved me a lot of money!!!

My conclusion is: sit back, relax, enjoy the show and don't worry too much about the upgrades.

Thanks again   

I'm not going to let you off the hook! ;-)

Upgrading the room acoustics and perhaps your subwoofer could bear sonic fruit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1525795/bluray-player-dac-or-av-receiver-dac#post_24574436

I'm not going to let you off the hook! ;-)

Upgrading the room acoustics and perhaps your subwoofer could bear sonic fruit.
In room acoustics my options are limited because I'm just tenant so I can't make any irreversible changes but I did my job as well as I can and place the speakers as close to the optimal position as possible and cover the reflecting "hotspots" on the wall by soundproof foam and so on.

My sub is a Klipsch RW-12D. I know there are lot better subs on the market but this was the best I could afford. I'm planning to purchase a second sub but really difficult to find this model in AU ( I ordered it from US on Ebay) The best option would be to sell this and buy too better sub instead, unfortunately I'm not ready for this financially.  ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts