AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a bluray player that does not crush blacks???

From what I can tell both TMT3 and PowerDVD use the overlay renderer to display an image on the screen. So the levels are different than EVR. ON top of this they expand from video to pc levels by default!!

I want a player that will just play the damn video without f'in with it.

Is such a software BD player exist?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
PDVD for sure does not use Overlay. You can see that by connecting to its graph. With PDVD and ATI at least it is quite possible to display Blu-ray at the correct levels. With recent ATI drivers you also get BTB and WTW (earlier drivers clipped off BTB).

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
It's also a driver issue.

An nvidia card, you can go into the nv control panel and tell it you want video levels and get video levels (with BTB).

I've never seen a Blu-Ray play that crushes blacks though, they simply expand them to the desktop levels, wich is what you want as a piece of PC software (at least as the default out of the box behavior).

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so, would it be safe to say that the best option to output video levels would be to let the players expand to 0-255 and have the video compress to 16-235 at the video card level via pixel format settings?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Yes. And now, somehow, BTB/WTW is preserved through this process.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 /forum/post/18166374

Yes. And now, somehow, BTB/WTW is preserved through this process.

Really? Since when? I'm still running ATI 9.6, never bothered upgrading since it was stable.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkedda /forum/post/18166189

so, would it be safe to say that the best option to output video levels would be to let the players expand to 0-255 and have the video compress to 16-235 at the video card level via pixel format settings?

Yes that is the easiest, most consistent way to handle this.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster /forum/post/18166561

Really? Since when? I'm still running ATI 9.6, never bothered upgrading since it was stable.

Not sure myself. i only upgraded from 9.2 when I got my 5750. But definitely with 10.1 and greater, at least with 5xxx series.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkedda /forum/post/18167263

not in disc mode.

Are you sure? People thought PDVD used overlay for a long while because they couldn't take screenshots. But it definitely uses EVR - Graphs and Reclock agree.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it has been confirmed that both PowerDVD and TMT3 playback discs differently than individual files. You can confirm this by doing the following.

One search levels wizard to find a link to upsilon software.

Two search AVS calibration and download the mp4 file and the bd disc. Playing the disc and the mp4 file in teh same player will yield different results in the black level and contrast settings.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkedda /forum/post/18167974

it has been confirmed that both PowerDVD and TMT3 playback discs differently than individual files. You can confirm this by doing the following. One search levels wizard to find a link to upsilon software. Two search AVS calibration and download the mp4 file and the bd disc. Playing the disc and the mp4 file in teh same player will yield different results in the black level and contrast settings.

They use differerent graphs for sure but PDVD uses EVR for Blu-ray discs.

·
Registered
979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 /forum/post/18168224

They use differerent graphs for sure but PDVD uses EVR for Blu-ray discs.

TMT3 does too. Easy way to confirm: Rename VideoRendererEVR.ax to something else and you won't be able to play anything. On the other hand renaming VideoRendererVMR.ax doesn't affect playback at all. So TMT3 has to use EVR.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts