AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the new generation of players - things like the Panasonic DMP-BD50. Apparently they do all the Dolby/DTS decoding for you and can output the audio signal it to their 7.1 or 5.1 analog outputs.

Speaker distance and levels can be set in the player. I could in theory connect the 7.1 outputs to a 7 channel AV amplifer, making an AV processor redundant.

However, there's one catch. The volume control!

Does anyone know if there's a bluray player that allows you to adjust the volume or is there a conspiracy to force us to buy AV processors?

·
Premium Member
24,037 Posts
Not at this point. And I would say for awhile there they were taking the AVP's job but not since ALL of the newer units Bitstream. And the price of them are much less than before. By next year almost everyone will be back to Bitstreaming either thru a receiver or pre/pro... And that will also include the high end crowd...

·
Registered
6,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanspeak /forum/post/14323939

I've been looking at the new generation of players - things like the Panasonic DMP-BD50. Apparently they do all the Dolby/DTS decoding for you and can output the audio signal it to their 7.1 or 5.1 analog outputs.

Speaker distance and levels can be set in the player. I could in theory connect the 7.1 outputs to a 7 channel AV amplifer, making an AV processor redundant.

Does anyone know if there's a bluray player that allows you to adjust the volume or is there a conspiracy to force us to buy AV processors?

I don't know the specifics of the BD50, but a player's MC analog outs are typically relatively limited in what they can do as far as processing, although this may not effect you. I know my Denon 2900 could do all I really needed in that department.

There are useful features, like Audyssey, that I don't see hitting players, and I don't know of any that offer global volume control.

Note: The limitations of MC analog outs in players has nothing at all to do with a BD player decoding a TrueHD/DTS-HD track and sending it as LPCM...that's something else altogether but you still see it referenced on these analog-out threads. Player decoding is the way the majority of folks hear the advanced codes and, given the popularity and capabilities of the ubiquitous PS3 (not to mention Sony's obvious commitment to it), it's likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
The one big thing you would be missing is the application of any DSP programs in the "pass through" mode (one of the reasons I've own a Yamaha AVR for years), but that might be something I can live with as an interim solution.

You bring up a great point, and one I'm not sure there's a lot of agreement around: whether Blu-Ray players will continue to offer multi-channel analog outputs once codec support in AVRs "catches up" and their prices come down (again). I believe this was a feature on early DVD players (for similar reasons), and was eventually dropped for various reasons. However, I'm not so sure the same pattern will follow for Hi-Def, at least not as rapidly. Due to the proliferation of audio formats and the requirement for HDMI interfaces, I'm thinking more people (like myself) will use analog pass-through for a longer period of time since you still have to "split" the audio/video signal anyway due to the fact that display devices DON'T have a 5.1/7.1 speaker set-up attached.

I guess wrapped up in this discussion is the question of whether we've made upgrade (from SD to HD) MORE difficult for those who don't want to drop $$$ on a receiver+display+BD player just to go Hi-Def. For example, I have a decent HDTV with NO DVI/HDMI inputs, a decent receiver with NO HDMI inputs, but eventually I'll upgrade to Blu-Ray (it will just be more convoluted--and delayed).

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The OP isn't specifically referring to the merits of player v. receiver decoding, processing and DAC but is asking about a player with built-in pre-amp (hence the volume knob).

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is precisely the type of player I want (a player with volume control), and is a feature I requested in the Denon Universal player thread a few days ago. If a blu-ray player had volume control (and maybe a digital input or two), it really could completely replace a digital processor from your system. Take a look at the Linn Unidisk SC- it is a universal player with a built in pre-amp and digital inputs. Basically, it can form the center of a great system. Unfortunately, as of yet it doesn't play Blu-rays. That might be a year or so down the line....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's incredibly frustrating is that is so simple for the manufacturers to implement a simple volume function in their players, at very little additional cost, yet they all seem blind to such an obvious need!

A lot of us audiophiles would LOVE to keep our existing 2 channel integrated amplifiers and it would fit in nicely with such a setup.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/14324014

By next year almost everyone will be back to Bitstreaming either thru a receiver or pre/pro... And that will also include the high end crowd...

Certainly true of the mid and lower end components. Not sure about the high end yet - remains to be seen whether others follow the Goldmund example and produde a $$$ player or not. Certainly the likes of Meridian continue to extoll the virtues of bitstream decoding in the player and PCM conversion in the processor ....

·
Premium Member
24,037 Posts
They will follow and have Bitstreaming as part of their main features by late 2009. It is the way it usually goes. They follow 2 to 3 years behind.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have an XBox 360, Tivo, Airport music and Blu-ray player. Don't most people need something to switch their audio, at minimum?

I am actually very happy with using a receiver for both audio and video switching. As long as some device can decode what needs to be decoded, all bases are covered.

·
Premium Member
24,037 Posts
Exactly. I have a 2 DirecTV receivers, DTHEATER, HD DVD, 360 and PS3 all needing a receiver or pre/pro. How could one Blu-ray player replace all of that?

·
Registered
27,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanspeak /forum/post/14323939

You can bet Meridian's forthcoming BD palyer will. Their players in the past have been able to to it all..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/14328895

Exactly. I have a 2 DirecTV receivers, DTHEATER, HD DVD, 360 and PS3 all needing a receiver or pre/pro. How could one Blu-ray player replace all of that?

Not everyone has or wants such complex setups (refer to my signature).

I only need surround sound when I'm watching a DVD or BR disc. The rest (TV, PC media) I'm happy to listen to in 2 channel stereo. Call me old-school.

My audiophile integrated amplifier would handle the switching and volume duties for the front channels far better than 99% of AV receivers.

It would only need to be supplemented by a 2 or 3 channel power amplifier for the centre/surround when watching movies.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/14328960

You can bet Meridian's forthcoming BD palyer will. Their players in the past have been able to to it all..

But Meridian's players don't have SACD do they?

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
one player or processor can not be better at decoding then another. Its what happens after the decoding which sets them appart. I see no reason what so ever why the ability for a player to decode all audio formats will in any way make AV processors obsolete.

·
Premium Member
24,037 Posts
My set up is complex?
Don't most people watch DVDs (or some type of media format) as well as watch TV (like cable or SAT)??? So I have a couple extra sources, even if I took them out of the equation...

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/14330764

My set up is complex?
Don't most people watch DVDs (or some type of media format) as well as watch TV (like cable or SAT)??? So I have a couple extra sources, even if I took them out of the equation...

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the player really would need to have a few digital inputs to work properly. Several players do have digital inputs already, so this really isn't far fetched to ask for. As for the video, I suppose the easiest solution is just use multiple inputs on your tv.

No, this isn't the best solution for a lot of people. For people with more than a 2 or 3 sources or with only a few HD inputs on their tv, it wouln't work. But, for others, such a solution would work very well and would (could?) have added benefits:

1) Cut down on the cost of the system. Spend a bit more on a great universal player and you wouldn't need a separate processor.

2) Reduce the complexity of the system. Some people, like my parents, appreciate high quality sound but really would benefit from a basic system that is easy to use. Removing a processor could help them.

3) Fewer analog cables and places for signals to be degraded (assuming you run analog from your player to your processor)...

just my thoughts...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts