AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your strategy for buying BluRay movies...vs. simply renting them?

For example:

* do you buy all the movies you want to view?

* do you watch them more than once?

* are you replacing your DVDs as they come out?

* do you plan on have hundreds just like many own 500+ DVDs?

* do you already own hundreds of DVDs?

I know I want a couple but in general I'm not sure why I want to buy movies vs. simply renting them...my usage is watch once and for those movies I watch again it's usually years later after they come out in yet another version (format or simply a better transfer).

Part of me wants to have a criteria where I buy classics. If think about the best movies ever and list a few per genre (ie. best western, best SciFi/Fantasy, best boxing, best comedy, best film noire, best detective...etc....I end up wanting about 500 movies in my library....and then every few years there is a new version....not sure I want to play this game or not.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have over 500 DVD's, but I pretty much stopped buying them last year with the exception of a choice few titles and TV on DVD.

My Blu-ray plans are to only purchase new releases that I really want, and only replace a couple of must have HD titles such as Lord of the Rings. I signed up for Netflix so I'll be renting a lot more than I did in the past.

I doubt my Blu-ray library will ever exceed my current DVD library unless the prices really drop.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I only rent films I've never seen. If I really like it I'll buy it and if I don't I never will. Sometimes I've bought DVD's having never seen the film, it's a bit risky but it's worked out for me at times. I bought Blair Witch and Election (Broderick/witherspoon/Klien) and loved both, especially Election but I've bought some real duds (U-571 and the boiler room)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yup same here, I will rarely blind buy a DVD, unless of course I know that I will like the movie without a doubt, but thats rare. I'll usually watch it once, and if I like it enough I will buy it.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I know for me, I have simply been replacing my HD-DVD and DVD Collection with Blu-ray Movies. As of late if a title is available I will do a blind buy because Blu-ray has been so outstanding with all of their recent releases. I do not feel I am taking a "risk" like I did back when Blu-ray first came out. In the past couple of months they have really got their act together and have delivered great movie after great movie.

This list of upcomming movies over the next 60 days or so looks AMAZING!! and will put a big dent in my checking account though!!

~Josh

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have stopped buying DVDs unless I feel it's a must have. Basically, only one a month or so. I think the last DVD that I really had to have and looked forward to was Inside Man. I would imagine that the prices will drop for Blu Ray discs, hopefully this year. I am very hesitant on buying Blu Ray if I have the movie on DVD already. It's just the principal of it I guess!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I kinda stopped buying HD DVD and Blu ray disc until this war is over...I did buy a couple of BD today because of the BB 1 for 1 promotion otherwise I rent from BlockBuster.

·
Registered
240 Posts
* do you buy all the movies you want to view? Yes or HD-Tv\\cinema

* do you watch them more than once? Yes if i like

* are you replacing your DVDs as they come out? Yes but only thouse i really like, then more.

* do you plan on have hundreds just like many own 500+ DVDs? sure

* do you already own hundreds of DVDs? About 500-600

All my favorite movies will be replaced by Bluray ASAP.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
since many are renting first and then buying...how often do you view after buying? I assume you rent/view and then buy/view? I would be tempted to rent and view and determine that I love the movie and then buy it and put it on the shelf only to maybe watch a few years later again...there are so many new things and things I haven't seen in 20+ years that it's hard to watch many movies more than once

...all just curiosity....thanks for the replies...

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots /forum/post/0

* do you buy all the movies you want to view?

I'm using the BD Tier system to make sure the movies I do want to own on BD look good enough to double/triple/quadruple dip for.

Quote:
* do you watch them more than once?

If I own it, I've usually watched it more than once, though I still have 3-4 DVD's still shrinkwrapped.

Quote:
* are you replacing your DVDs as they come out?

Yes and no. I own over 400 DVD's, and I've come to realize that I have some stuff I don't really need or want anymore. I'm being a lot more selective with my BD purchases.

Quote:
* do you plan on have hundreds just like many own 500+ DVDs?

Over the next 10 years? I doubt I'll get more BD's than I currently have DVD's.

Quote:
* do you already own hundreds of DVDs?

Over 400, but I'm not sure what the exact number is anymore.

Personally, I'm more apt to rent a movie than buy it right now, given the cost.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've got 1200 DVDs that have been Netflix backups that look awesome on a Sony BDP-S1 Blu Ray 1080P upconversion player so I'm not all that concerned about the longevity of the Blu Ray/ HD DVD outcome. You think BD would win just on storage capacity and video quality alone.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'll buy movies that I know will be watched repeatedly in my household. The rest I rent. I have been a lot more selective with HD DVD and Blu-ray titles than I was with DVD. I normally would take chances with DVD because of the lower price, but that's not the case with high-def titles. I have a number of DVDs that are still in plastic, so I'm not going to make the same mistake twice.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Rent all and if good enough that I'll watch a few more times I will buy, so far zero. Exceptions to the rule birthdays and Christmas, so far 5. I've learned a lot about myself over VHS and DVD and DVD backup even and imo threw away thousands and really the only things rewatched are kids movies. I also do the same for videogames now less pc gaming since there is no service for that. Hey if they are going to give me the same overall affect for far less, I am all over it and without renting I wouldn't have purchased the 360 or the add-on.

"I have been a lot more selective with HD DVD and Blu-ray titles than I was with DVD." - I feel there will be a large group of customers that will feel this way. DVD even though you could copy them still was thee boon imo for customer sales. A lot of people made libraries that I bet from time to time look at them and think of the waste. So in the future they will be more frugal and reasonable with their future libraries. The group that won't be like that are first timers like teenagers and early 20 something's today. They'll be the ones in percentage to end up with massive HD collections, less Addicts and Rich people.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope /forum/post/0

A lot of people made libraries that I bet from time to time look at them and think of the waste.

I'm curious how many feel this way on this forum....I can see someone looking at their library and doing the math (i.e. 400x$10+=$4,000) and then thinking about the utilizaiton and trend of new formats coming out and wondering if they made a good decision...

I can see otheres loving the presence of the library and the ability to pull a forgotten disk off the shelf on a whim and the joy of browsing their own private library of the greatest movies....

Some have libraries of books and I'm not sure how many of those are read more than once.

Of course with libraries of books, libraries of lps & CD's, I can wonder if I really need another bookcase of stuff...one only has some much room.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
^ There will always be groups that make up each category. I'm just thinking a lot of people never really had a library before and now have experienced one for themselves. Some will think it's grand and some will think, yeah I built one but really how much do I re-use it? That answer will vary and it will be balanced, however 50% not re-building is still a large part of the market staying out of mass ownership. I think everyone is fit to trying out a library (whatever it is) for a first time and or 2nd and 3rd, but as you grow older/wiser and for those that aren't loaded with throw-away money, they will now have experience to see if "a library" was all that is was cracked up to be for them. With rental places becoming more and more inviting each day that helps many make a decision that "a library" really is a nice to have and isn't a gift that keeps on giving and is more of impulsive mistake.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I was buying all the movies for both HD and BR up to this point and have about 100 titles total now. I am however changing my strategy and will start renting the titles for now on and only purchase must-have movies that get great AV reveiws on them. I'm getting a bit tired of mediocre titles from both formats so I will only get the truly impressive ones for now on

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.