AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have attempted my first Bluray rip with MakeMKV and then bringing that result into Handbrake. I have encoded twice with Handbrake, once using the Apple 2 preset and the other modifying the settings to match what an article recommended. Both times, the resulting movie exhibited choppy playback. Is there a preset out there that offers good, consistent results? I also wasn't sure how I could get a 1080p out of Handbrake.

-gl

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
You need to be much more specific...

Quote:
I have attempted my first Bluray rip with MakeMKV

which Mac and OS?

which bluray disc? was it a film or a TV show? what audio was on the disc and what did you include in the MakeMKV rip?

Have you tried to rip a different disc to compare results?

Quote:
I have encoded twice with Handbrake

which version of HB?

Quote:
once using the Apple 2 preset and the other modifying the settings to match what an article recommended

link to that article?

Quote:
Both times, the resulting movie exhibited choppy playback

Choppy playback on what? the Mac, an aTV2, an iPad, all of them? What are you using for playback, ideally, try it on the aTV2, and an iPad, and a Mac with various software players, like Plex and VLC.

Try to rule out your network or NAS causing the problem by moving the file around and try to rule out your display by playing it back on a machine connected to a different display. For instance, if you're using the aTV2 to play the file back, where "is" the file? Wired or wireless?

How does the original, full size MakeMKV rip play back with your Mac in Plex or XBMC?

Quote:
Is there a preset out there that offers good, consistent results? I also wasn't sure how I could get a 1080p out of Handbrake.

I think it's hard not to get good, consistent results with any of 3 or 4 presets...the Handbrake team has really, really stepped up their game. There are a few little tricks that can help with specific disc types, i.e. a few additional settings if the blu ray content was originally a TV show, but I think you should try out a few different discs and stay with the regular aTV2 preset for now. Approach this problem as if it has nothing to do with Handbrake per se, especially if you have only ripped one disc so far.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10.6.8 Macpro 2x2.4 Neh 6gigs of ram dual 27" monitors

HB version: .9.5

Film: The Good the bad and the Ugly BR

MKV plays back fine in VLC. but, the Apple2 preset was very stuttery.

-gl

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
mx, I'm not going to get too invested in helping you until you invest some time. Have you only tried playing back those two Good Bad Ugly transcodes and only with VLC and only on the Mac? If so, put them in iTunes and play them back on an aTV2 and an iPad or iPhone AND use different playback software on your Mac AND rip a different bluray to see if there's any difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, you think that an iPhone will playback an H.264 encoding better than a brand new Macpro? I didn't think to test it on the other platforms because they are all less capable of doing so - if the Macpro won't play it back neither will an iPad.

I am not a novice to compression, codecs or video. I just thought there might be a known issue that the group was aware of. I can proceed on my own if that is not the case.

-mx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.