AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems the Univeral Music group has joined on with blu ray to pursue it as a music format. The only way I can see this being a good thing in a market with too many high res formats already is that bluray's high density would mean an 8cm disk could hold more than any current dvd-a while being much more conducive to portable players. Doesn't really matter, as I'm sure I'll end up buying it anyway... :rolleyes:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050817-5218.html

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just hope that whatever audio standard they use will play on a regular BluRay player. I would hate to invest in a BluRay player just to later find out I had to upgrade my equipment to play BluRay Audio.

How many people on this board have upgraded their player from DVD to progressive-scan DVD to DVD-Audio to Upconverted-DVD-with-HDMI-Output? (Raises hand.)

At any rate, I'm going to be waiting this one out until the dust settles a bit.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Except for the addition of DVD-A and SACD titles, the DVD has not changed. YOu chose to upgrade to better equipment when you consider teh move to progressive scan, and upscaling over HDMI...so IMHO its not quite teh same. There are people who are still using their original first non-progressive plain jane dvd players....

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
I love hi-res music, but I don't see BluRay or HD-DVD hi-res music succeeding. It's no different than with DVD-Audio & SACD now. Most people are all too happy with their mp3 players/iPods.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh
I love hi-res music, but I don't see BluRay or HD-DVD hi-res music succeeding. It's no different than with DVD-Audio & SACD now. Most people are all too happy with their mp3 players/iPods.
I agree for most consumers sound quality is not the priority. A small minority actually have there DVD players hooked up to a real HT sound system. With all the misinformation and confusion in the market place a lot of people are under the impression that their up converting DVD player gives them HD quality video already.

I'm not sure how BluRay or HD-DVD can be expected to succeed as a Hi Rez audio format when SA-CD and DVD-A certainly did not make a big splash.

·
Registered
503 Posts
well they can succeed if big studios commit to the format something SACD or DVDA never had. Think of the possibilities of putting songs , videos, lyrics and art on one disc in high resolution .

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Multichannel hi-res music requires that you to sit in your home theater & listen to music ideally seated in the sweet spot. Most people prefer to listen to music on portables or in their cars. I know there are some car DVD-Audio outfits, but the point is people don't sit & listen to music like in the LP or early CD days. As rbrb mentioned, most people also could care less about quality like the few of us do.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Oh, now I'm supposed to buy a Blu-Ray player to buy discs that'll only play on it. Where have I heard that one before, hmnnn...? Doubtful...!

I don't favour music formats getting drug along by video formats, in general. What's Uni think it's gonna do? Quit making CD's and just make copy-resistant Blu-Ray discs that hardly anybody will have a player for? Sony already tried that once before, brilliant! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy
Oh, now I'm supposed to buy a Blu-Ray player to buy discs that'll only play on it. Where have I heard that one before, hmnnn...? Doubtful...!

I don't favour music formats getting drug along by video formats, in general. What's Uni think it's gonna do? Quit making CD's and just make copy-resistant Blu-Ray discs that hardly anybody will have a player for? Sony already tried that once before, brilliant! :rolleyes:
Exactly!!! You would think the past would teach these companies something, instead they are doomed to repeat it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
as I said, the only benefit I can see is an 8cm (or smaller like 6cm) standard for the audio discs. This would make them a viable option for todays audio portables. And given Apple's backing of blu-ray and ties with sony, I don't think an ipod that could play mini bluray audio disks is out of the question

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Type
Seems the Univeral Music group has joined on with blu ray to pursue it as a music format. The only way I can see this being a good thing in a market with too many high res formats already is that bluray's high density would mean an 8cm disk could hold more than any current dvd-a while being much more conducive to portable players. Doesn't really matter, as I'm sure I'll end up buying it anyway... :rolleyes:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050817-5218.html
I think there a few music video and concert DVDs at the local video store. Maybe, just maybe, that's the intended primary use for BD-Video from Universal Music.

At this point it wouldn't make much sense to introduce YAHDMF (yet another high definition music format). :)

Gary

·
Registered
30,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh
Multichannel hi-res music requires that you to sit in your home theater & listen to music ideally seated in the sweet spot.
My experience has been the opposite. Multi-channel music frees you to move out of the sweet spot, since you're not relying as much on phantom imaging. I mean, you can move all over your couch and the central image will stay in the exact same location; ditto with surround information.

Where I agree with you is that consumers don't seem to be interested in sound quality as much as portability. But that's a separate issue and one that would still apply whether hi-rez music was multi-channel or 2-channel.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't really see SACD or DVD-A as dead at this point, I just think that they are doomed to a niche market in much the same way Laserdisc was in the 90's. Like Laserdisc, I would expect there to be a steady trickle of software until something better comes along to replace it.

That something may be a BluRay Audio, but who knows.

I suppose that if DualDisc with hi-res audio were to take off, it could kill SACD outright, especially if Sony really has abandoned the format.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani
My experience has been the opposite. Multi-channel music frees you to move out of the sweet spot, since you're not relying as much on phantom imaging. I mean, you can move all over your couch and the central image will stay in the exact same location; ditto with surround information.

Where I agree with you is that consumers don't seem to be interested in sound quality as much as portability. But that's a separate issue and one that would still apply whether hi-rez music was multi-channel or 2-channel.

Best,

Sanjay
This has been my experience as well, though my subjective preference is to listen to MCH mixes if they are discreet (I know you prefer otherwise--I've read a number of your posts on the matter ;) ), while, at least for critical listening, leaving two channel unprocessed (same for mono).

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpskm
SACD is part of the BluRay standard.
Unless the Audio standards have been very recently amended for Bluray, DSD is not supported for Bluray.

Can you please cite a source for this information?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have read that the PlayStation 3, and probably other Sony BluRay players, will support SACD, but I have not read that is part of the standard, as in all manufacturers of BluRay players must include SACD support.

In fact, Robert Harley says in The Absolute Sound #154, "It's significant that BluRay Disc, a format spearheaded by SACD developer Sony, uses linear PCM audio with the video rather than the Direct Stream Digital encoding system developed for SACD. This means that all potential high-resolution music carriers are based on PCM, with the exception of SACD, of course."

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not a part of the standard...

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I have seen the format specifications for audio support, ie the standards and as of a few months ago it was not part of the standards.

Of course the standards can be updated and that's why I'm asking for a source for the statement.

As for using PCM instead of DSD with video, all of Hollywood is centered around PCM, and DSD is simply not amenable to the type of signal processing required. So all of the tools would have to be developed for DSD, then Hollywood would have to replace all their ADR gear, all or their SFX equipment etc, etc etc ad nauseum. In short I believe the words "no sale" were coming up loud and clear. That's side 1 of the equation.

Now look at side 2 of the equation. All of the signal processing in consumer processors/receivers is centered around PCM. We are in the beginning era of room correction and EQ, all built around PCM. DSD simply cannot be processed in this manner. It would have to be (shudder) transcoded to PCM first. Oh the horror (mock indignation)!

So then, if this soundtrack were to be delivered in DSD, you'd have no choice but to translate it to PCM if you wanted to add any of the routine tools, let alone the complex ones.

Including backwards compatible SA-CD support in players is a seperate issue altogether and has zero to do with standards for Bluray or HD-DVD.

Best,

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
John,

I can't agree with you more! Support of SACD in BD/HD-DVD player will not be as difficult as BD or HDDVD accomodating each other, but definitely more difficult than accomodating DVD-A due to DSD signal processing(DST decoding) and some difference in optics: PSP.

Of course, the format specification doesn't have to do anything on this. It's a technical hurdle of the actual boxes which will hit the market.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.