AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, based on my limited understanding i am hoping those with a much better understanding of things can help me with somehting.


Does it make more sense to purchase an expensive bluray player and hook it directly to your source or a eruray player and use the prosessor in your avr to transmit the picture quality.


which would get you the best bang for your buck on picture quality?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niners /forum/post/18125648


Hello, based on my limited understanding i am hoping those with a much better understanding of things can help me with somehting.


Does it make more sense to purchase an expensive bluray player and hook it directly to your source or a eruray player and use the prosessor in your avr to transmit the picture quality.


which would get you the best bang for your buck on picture quality?

There will be no difference picture-wise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
scenario - cheap bluray using the pre/pro as the picture enhancer through


scenario 2 - expensive bluray direct to tv and cheaper processor for sound only


assuming the above would they be the same? if so i am a little confused as two why.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niners /forum/post/18125738


scenario - cheap bluray using the pre/pro as the picture enhancer through


scenario 2 - expensive bluray direct to tv and cheaper processor for sound only


assuming the above would they be the same? if so i am a little confused as two why.

The better blu-ray player will give the better picture. You cannot post-process to improve what is not there in the first place. And most pre/pro's will simply pass on a 1080p signal unaltered to the TV anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,970 Posts
Blu-Ray is 1080p/24 naturally. There is nothing to upconvert or process. All AVRs have a "Through" mode that will pass the signal through the AVR untouched.


Where you will see a difference is when upconverting a standard definition program (480i or p) to 1080p. Then you have to choose between the player, the AVR, or the tv for the best upconversion/processing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niners /forum/post/18125648


Hello, based on my limited understanding i am hoping those with a much better understanding of things can help me with somehting.


Does it make more sense to purchase an expensive bluray player and hook it directly to your source or a eruray player and use the prosessor in your avr to transmit the picture quality.


which would get you the best bang for your buck on picture quality?

Depending on whether your AVR mucks up the HDMI pass through, there could very well be a difference. Some lower end AVRs have shown to not have as good a "pass though" video interface. But as bluesky636 said, most of the readily apparent differences will be with SD upconverting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox /forum/post/18127043


The better blu-ray player will give the better picture. You cannot post-process to improve what is not there in the first place. And most pre/pro's will simply pass on a 1080p signal unaltered to the TV anyway.

All blu-ray players will provide essentially identical picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/18128188


Depending on whether your AVR mucks up the HDMI pass through, there could very well be a difference. Some lower end AVRs have shown to not have as good a "pass though" video interface. But as bluesky636 said, most of the readily apparent differences will be with SD upconverting.

This is true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
My avr (onkyo 605) passes 1080p off to my tv untouched. So my ps3 sends bluray in their native format right through the 605 untouched to the tv. When watching regular DVD, my ps3 upconverts to 1080p, so again, my avr doesn't mess with it. The only time my avr touches it, is when I have something hooked up via composite or component, it upconverts to 720p then the tv takes over, with not so good results.


In general, unless you have a very expensive avr, or stand-alone processor, you want the player to do the upconversion. Even my tv does the conversion better than my avr with the dcdi edge chip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe52985 /forum/post/18130902


My avr (onkyo 605) passes 1080p off to my tv untouched. So my ps3 sends bluray in their native format right through the 605 untouched to the tv. When watching regular DVD, my ps3 upconverts to 1080p, so again, my avr doesn't mess with it. The only time my avr touches it, is when I have something hooked up via composite or component, it upconverts to 720p then the tv takes over, with not so good results.


In general, unless you have a very expensive avr, or stand-alone processor, you want the player to do the upconversion. Even my tv does the conversion better than my avr with the dcdi edge chip.

Your comments are correct, but irrelevant since OP was asking about the blu-ray source and not the DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18131797


Your comments are correct, but irrelevant since OP was asking about the blu-ray source and not the DVD.

Actually, the OP did not even mention BD or DVD sources. He just wanted to know what would give him the best picture quality. In that light, comments regarding the differences between BD and DVD processing certainly are relevant.



You've been around longer than me. I think it is time for you to change your user name.


Quote:
Originally Posted by niners /forum/post/18125648


Hello, based on my limited understanding i am hoping those with a much better understanding of things can help me with somehting.


Does it make more sense to purchase an expensive bluray player and hook it directly to your source or a eruray player and use the prosessor in your avr to transmit the picture quality.


which would get you the best bang for your buck on picture quality?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe52985 /forum/post/18130902


My avr (onkyo 605) passes 1080p off to my tv untouched. So my ps3 sends bluray in their native format right through the 605 untouched to the tv. When watching regular DVD, my ps3 upconverts to 1080p, so again, my avr doesn't mess with it. The only time my avr touches it, is when I have something hooked up via composite or component, it upconverts to 720p then the tv takes over, with not so good results.


In general, unless you have a very expensive avr, or stand-alone processor, you want the player to do the upconversion. Even my tv does the conversion better than my avr with the dcdi edge chip.

You are saying that your AVR, an Onkyo 605, does no processing to an incoming 1080p signal. In reality that doesn't mean the signal is "untouched".


The truth is that a lot of AVRs will degrade the signal to some degree. Is it visible to the naked eye? Not in most cases. But actual video tests, not subjective reviews, by some magazines have confirmed as much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the posts. i truly find this interesting and surprising.


the piece that puzzles me is what are the true benefits of a really expensive pre/pro over a moderate? Is it the features
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niners /forum/post/18138475


the piece that puzzles me is what are the true benefits of a really expensive pre/pro over a moderate? Is it the features

It has 2 main benefits:


1. Extra power. This may or may not be of any benefit in a typical user's case depending on his/her speakers' efficiency rating.

2. Features. Audyssey, listening modes, wi-fi etc. Again your own personal needs should dictate whether you actually require any of those features or not. The only must-feature I would seek would be some sort of room-correction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niners /forum/post/18138475


the piece that puzzles me is what are the true benefits of a really expensive pre/pro over a moderate? Is it the features
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18140117


It has 2 main benefits:

1. Extra power. This may or may not be of any benefit in a typical user's case depending on his/her speakers' efficiency rating.

2. Features. Audyssey, listening modes, wi-fi etc. Again your own personal needs should dictate whether you actually require any of those features or not. The only must-feature I would seek would be some sort of room-correction.

1. Pre/pros do not have power amps to drive speakers.

2. Nah. Even the least expensive pre/pros (like the Integras) have all the bells and whistles. In fact, they usually have more of them than the high-priced models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/18142093


1. Pre/pros do not have power amps to drive speakers.

But AVRs do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/18142093


2. Nah. Even the least expensive pre/pros (like the Integras) have all the bells and whistles. In fact, they usually have more of them than the high-priced models.

Only compared to Ultra high-end. Receiver features usually improve when you go up within a manufacturer's offerings. For example Denon's or Onkyo's flagship models generally have more bells and whistles than their entry level offerings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niners /forum/post/18138475


the piece that puzzles me is what are the true benefits of a really expensive pre/pro over a moderate? Is it the features
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18140117


It has 2 main benefits:


1. Extra power. This may or may not be of any benefit in a typical user's case depending on his/her speakers' efficiency rating.

2. Features. Audyssey, listening modes, wi-fi etc. Again your own personal needs should dictate whether you actually require any of those features or not. The only must-feature I would seek would be some sort of room-correction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/18142093


1. Pre/pros do not have power amps to drive speakers.

2. Nah. Even the least expensive pre/pros (like the Integras) have all the bells and whistles. In fact, they usually have more of them than the high-priced models.

The OP did say pre-pros. Of course, it is highly possible he doesn't know the difference between a pre-pro and an AVR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18142215


The OP did say pre-pros. Of course, it is highly possible he doesn't know the difference between a pre-pro and an AVR.

Below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by niners /forum/post/18125648


in your avr to transmit the picture quality.

When he said processor, he was referring to the video processor in the AVR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niners /forum/post/18125648


Does it make more sense to purchase an expensive bluray player and hook it directly to your source or a eruray player and use the prosessor in your avr to transmit the picture quality?

It make more sense to use the eruray player and prosess to transmit the quality, IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18142215


The OP did say pre-pros. Of course, it is highly possible he doesn't know the difference between a pre-pro and an AVR.

Sure. I have not read the entire thread but responded to what he asked.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top