AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess using the PS3 as a trojan horse for bluray is working out for Sony after all (despite many claims to the contrary by armchair analysts):

Quote:
According to statistics compiled by EngadgetHD and Pali Capital's Richard Greenfield, Blu-Ray is coming along at a much faster rate than DVD. After two years, about 1.2 million DVD players had been sold, and in that same time frame, an estimated 2.5 million Blu-Ray players have been sold...and that number certainly doesn't include PlayStation 3 sales. Furthermore, Blu-Ray sales appear to have been unaffected by the economic downturn over the holidays, as it has "doubled its market share of the top 20 titles in the past six months." Remember, it takes some time for an entire market - like home movie viewing - to completely switch formats, but Blu-Ray is actually ahead of schedule.

Article Link

·
Registered
859 Posts
Very good news indeed. Maybe the average consumer isn't as dumb as I thought. Now I'd be curious to see how many of those players are hooked up properly and how many are connected with a composite cable

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Well its not like Sony didnt do the same thing with the PS2. (It was my first DVD player) and second it's no surprise to me that BD player sales are ahead of DVD. With DTV deadline coming, the sky rocketing sales numbers of HDTV's and the switch to EVERYTHING in HD and how fast the price of the players have fallen. It's really no big surprise to me.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have to agree. We've seen accelerated adoption of HDTVs and HD sources in the past two years. It stands to reason that the proclaimed "best of the best" in HD is going to pick up steam too. I've got to say that in a way I am pleased, but I wonder where this loyalty comes from
. Hopefully this means cheaper movies too!, but I doubt that since DVD has been at the same price point for some time.

EDIT: POST NUMBER 1000!!!!! WOOHOO!

·
Registered
3,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/15487339

I guess using the PS3 as a trojan horse for bluray is working out for Sony after all (despite many claims to the contrary by armchair analysts):

Article Link

Sorry, but did you hear that hope has faded for the PS3 as a comeback player?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 /forum/post/15487916

Sorry, but did you hear that hope has faded for the PS3 as a comeback player?

Oops, just saw that. Mods, feel free to delete this thread

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Obviously. The "Xbot" argument that digital distribution is going to replace DVD, not Blu-Ray is ridiculous at its worst and premature at its best. DD isn't ready. The quality is not there. For tens of millions of people the bandwidth isn't there. Many people are still not ready to abandon physical media. In the meantime, how about Blu? It's better than DVD and audio and video wise is much better than digital downloading and you get a copy to keep.

Until DD takes over for good, and these bandwidth/psychological/quality issues are resolved, Blu-Ray will be a pretty fine way to watch movies and TV shows.

The one thing is, Blu prices are still way too high... way too high. Searching Fatwallet for B1G1 deals or whatever is not a solution. DVD really caught on when Joe Schmuck could buy crappy movies for $14.99 at every store (now those binds are like, $4.99 double pack movies!). Until Blu-Ray gets there it will be held back.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It really is a shame there is no backwards compatibility with regular DVD players. For example, my Dad does not yet have an HD TV. But he knows he will eventually. He would buy Blu Ray now if he could play it in SD on a regular DVD player. My mom is holding him back to make the jump because of the damn furniture. They have a gigantic solid wood entertainment center that will only hold up to a 36" tube shape TV.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
If they did it like HD DVD was, and issued Blu rays with a DVD side, then I would probably buy a lot more. As it stands (with only one Blu Ray Player), I just dont buy as many as I would like to own.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK89 /forum/post/15488466

It really is a shame there is no backwards compatibility with regular DVD players. For example, my Dad does not yet have an HD TV. But he knows he will eventually. He would buy Blu Ray now if he could play it in SD on a regular DVD player. My mom is holding him back to make the jump because of the damn furniture. They have a gigantic solid wood entertainment center that will only hold up to a 36" tube shape TV.
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...isc_announ.php

*BLAM!*

·
Registered
662 Posts
I never understood why the HD DVD side didn't push that feature 'til the ends of the Earth, but I have been very lucky with all of my HD stuff. 8 HD DVD players and 3 Blu ones and have had NO problems with any of them. Even my Samsung 1400 has played everything I've thrown at it. The combo discs could have/should have been the killer card to play for the HD DVD side, but they didn't use it the right way for what ever reason. I know, I know, SOME people had problems with them, most DID NOT! Lets not forget, some people are STILL having problem just playing Blu-ray movies on their player!! NOT ME though!!!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have the five free Blurays that I got with my PS3, and the other five from the free Panny bluray player that i got when buying my plasma. Thank god for blockbuster by mail!

On a side note, I used to be able to get any title almost immediately but lately I have been waiting longer.. and longer. Blockbuster get with the program, Bluray is growing fast and you need to keep up.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
This thread is in the wrong section.

But since it's here for now... whoa! didn't know 2.5mil BD players sold so far!

Today is a different era though. I can see the comparisons to DVD as being valid just as much as I can see them not being valid. When DVD was launched most rented, just as they did with VHS. There are a lot of people who still rent but more buy today then in the past. Tag on the fact that most people spend more than the save/make nowadays and it's no wonder. Good for Blu though!

Since it was mentioned... I absofreakinlutely LOVED the combo idea. DVD/HDDVD on one side... Ever since the launch of HDM I've always hoped Blu would go this route also and dare I say it... the vaporware of triple layer... TL51, not the 51gb triple layered disk but more so the dual layer HD single layer SD on one side. Maybe one day. Stinks that I have 1 Blu player in my house and 4 DVD players in other rooms.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
actually when DVD came out, every title was priced to own. The VHS releases of that time were still priced to rent (~$100 VHS, ~$25 DVD) for quite some time until they hit sell-thru pricing.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 /forum/post/15489374

This thread is in the wrong section.

I suppose so, but I thought it was arguably relevant. Especially with all the doom-and-gloom threads going on here lately.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 /forum/post/15489374

Ever since the launch of HDM I've always hoped Blu would go this route also and dare I say it... the vaporware of triple layer... TL51, not the 51gb triple layered disk but more so the dual layer HD single layer SD on one side. Maybe one day. Stinks that I have 1 Blu player in my house and 4 DVD players in other rooms.

Go back and read my first post...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/15487339

That was ever in doubt?!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn /forum/post/15491683

That was ever in doubt?!

Apparently so.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/15488060

Obviously. The "Xbot" argument that digital distribution is going to replace DVD, not Blu-Ray is ridiculous at its worst and premature at its best.

It's not only a xbot argument, but they do use it profusely. HDDVD sourpusses and just some plain old idiots too use it. And it's not that the compression and content isn't there, nor even the technology. Whats not there is the ISP's willing to offer tier 1 service products or upgrade their last miles. In fact, ISP's are moving in the other direction.

Anyway, here's the article. I bet engadget wouldn't be too happy knowing that site stole their content without the common decency to even link back to them.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/01/06...outpaces-dvds/

Also, when people talk about price, they never talk about inflation. I know it's a hard concept and all, but it needs to be factored in.

At this point since release bluray players and bluray disks are both cheaper then DVD's at the same time in it's cycle when adjusted for inflation. That's huge, and one reason it's probably doing well. $20 back then could buy a lot more then now, so DVD wasn't as attractive, and more expensive in peoples eyes. Hell, it's not hard to throw away $20 now for lunch or a few drinks at a pub after work.

Bluray still has to put up with the ultra low costs of DVD now though, but people aren't stupid to follow the haters advice once they see it being played on a display in the store.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts